Mission 7 - Iranian F-14s are using USAF skins and Serbian MiG-21s?

CommandT

Not really an issue in terms of playing the mission as you never see these aircraft up close anyway but after landing back I cycled through the F2 views and found that the 2 Iranian F-14s are using identical USAF skins (looks like Agressors) and the the MiG-21s are Serbian? Flying in the middle of the Iranian desert? I thought it was rather strange anyway. Perhaps this was a mistake in chosing the skins so thought I'd point it out. Otherwise this mission felt enjoyable and realistic, no complaints :)

I used custom skins, maybe they got reset somehow. Still we now have a new F-14A model so I will update the campaign of course :)

Ah this is maybe why I see an olive green Blackhawk supporting the carrier? Maybe you had a Navy skin for it but it reverted to the olive green.

Indeed I had. I’ll check that too.

I realised what happens. So you do have the Navy skin but at a certain distance , for me at least, the navy grey reverts to an olive green shade. It must be a certain bug. It's not a big deal anyway.

I do have one suggestions though. I see every time I land back at the carrier (I have completed 9 missions so far), the carrier deck is always completely empty. Now I understand that fps issues for most of us are probably the reason why you have done this, however it seems a bit too ridiculous to have it that empty - no deck equipment/ tugs/ cranes, nothing. That big crane and a few tugs plus maybe 2-3 stationary aircraft would be nice to have at least some sense of realism whilst keeping frame rates acceptable for most users.

Otherwise I have nothing else to report. Enjoying the campaign :)

P.S. Any plans for any Syria map campaign?

Cheers!

Thanks dude! The empty deck is linked with some problems I had when I populated it, as the carrier taxi logic is a bit difficult to grasp. So I'd rather play it safe than cause problems for the player when landing.

As for Syria - yes, two! One is already announced, an F-16 campaign I am working with John "Rain" Waters, more info here.

There is also one unannounced one which I am sure you will love!

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

@baltic_dragon regarding the frame rate; you can use old school hornets as statics in droves without much frame rate impact, you would have to create skins for them to match but it might make the decks feel less sterile?

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Statics are not a problem for frame rates but for spawn and taxi logic. It takes a lot of work and trials to set everything up in a way that it works and the statics do not block other aircraft... same goes for landing. Maybe this logic will be improved - but keep in mind that we will get the handlers soon that will be taxiing the aircraft to

the cats, which will change everything again. So I’d rather play it safe.

• Like 1
ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

Statics are not a problem for frame rates but for spawn and taxi logic. It takes a lot of work and trials to set everything up in a way that it works and the statics do not block other aircraft... same goes for landing. Maybe this logic will be improved - but keep in mind that we will get the handlers soon that will be taxiing the aircraft to

the cats, which will change everything again. So I’d rather play it safe.

Ah fair enough. I didn't realise we are getting ground marshallers?! That's cool! I agree with what you mean about statics screwing up taxi flows for AI. I did many hours of experimenting with that myself and it's exceptionally difficult to get it right. Out of curiosity, is there a trigger to populate the carrier deck differently after a certain point in the mission? My idea is - after takeoff, use a trigger to populate the carrier deck for landing by having all static planes on the nose of the ship on cats 1 and 2, like they have in real life - so during recovery those cats don't get used so the nose of the ship could contain all the statics. Landing aircraft will never taxi to that part of the ship either so there's no conflict there. And also agree with the above about using the older F-18 models for that. They still look excellent and are super fps-friendly. I'm not sure I really care about seeing them in the right squadron colours or numbers or whatever. Not sure anyone does. And I think you could still have a crane and some tugs close to the bridge without affecting taxi flow. All just suggestions for immersion. I'm enjoying the missions over all :)

Will there be anything for Syria with either the Harrier or F-18 or F-5? I have no plans to buy the F-16 any time soon :(