A Bloody Nightcap

Hey!

I love your work. Great campaigns. I have a complaint that should be easily fixable. On the "A bloody Nightcap" mission I am forced to land to refuel. Once i am done doing the CAS mission I have 7000lbs of fuel which is plenty to get back to the ship(which is only 40 miles out to sea) and then divert if needed.

My first playthrough I landed and refueled and headed to the ship. When i contacted mother they told me to go to the divert airfield. They wouldnt turn on the lights so I could actually land. I couldn't see well enough to land without the ship lights. I ended up crashing on a poorly performed bolter.

My second playthrough I had lots of fuel and decided to head straight to the ship cause I thought that would fix the problem, which it did. They gave me my vectors. Once I got close to the ship I was told I failed the mission because i didn't land to take on fuel.

There is no reason to go to the airfield to refuel for those of us that can conserve fuel. Landing at the airfield adds nothing to the story. This should be an optional objective for those that need to take on gas. Is this fixable? If this remains a requirement to pass the mission then something needs to be fixed so that I can talk to the ship after landing and taking fuel so that they will turn on the lights instead of just telling me to divert. It really makes no sense.

Thanks so much for your hard work!

Hey!

I love your work. Great campaigns. I have a complaint that should be easily fixable. On the "A bloody Nightcap" mission I am forced to land to refuel. Once i am done doing the CAS mission I have 7000lbs of fuel which is plenty to get back to the ship(which is only 40 miles out to sea) and then divert if needed.

My first playthrough I landed and refueled and headed to the ship. When i contacted mother they told me to go to the divert airfield. They wouldnt turn on the lights so I could actually land. I couldn't see well enough to land without the ship lights. I ended up crashing on a poorly performed bolter.

My second playthrough I had lots of fuel and decided to head straight to the ship cause I thought that would fix the problem, which it did. They gave me my vectors. Once I got close to the ship I was told I failed the mission because i didn't land to take on fuel.

There is no reason to go to the airfield to refuel for those of us that can conserve fuel. Landing at the airfield adds nothing to the story. This should be an optional objective for those that need to take on gas. Is this fixable? If this remains a requirement to pass the mission then something needs to be fixed so that I can talk to the ship after landing and taking fuel so that they will turn on the lights instead of just telling me to divert. It really makes no sense.

Thanks so much for your hard work!

Hi thanks for your comments and glad you are enjoying the campaign. My response below.

Firstly yes there is a mission requirement to land and pick up some fuel. The idea was to add a night landing and take off to the mix. Also the night landing is not straight forward as there is quite a high cross wind that some pilots may found challenging. Also allowing for the case 3 carrier landing and delayed approach time a lot of pilots will need to refuel. ( Did you also maintain the designated speed to get there as per instructions as the idea is you need to get there quickly which should burn quite a bit) All that said I take your point though and giving pilots the option to land for refuel is something I will consider in a future update though.

Ok now to issues you have had with the carrier landings. The truth is once you make contact with the Stennis from that point on the mission design does not impinge on any actions apart from success feed back when you have actually landed. So the responses etc from the Stennis will not be governed in any way by what you have done or not done before in the mission as you may have thought. There is nothing in the mission design requiring the Stennis to ask you to divert anywhere. With latest DCS updates when you approach the Stennis you will be required to carry out CASE 3 procedures which will normally require you to orbit some 21 miles or so behind the Stennis until a given approach time and then you need to follow the CASE 3 procedures until landed. With this procedure it true to say the lights don't come on until the last minute. If these procedures are not followed fully it could be the reason why the lights didn't come on, not sure. Was it the Stennis that asked you to divert?

Hope this helps

Edited by Glyn

F/A-18C Campaigns : The Serpent’s Head / The Serpent’s Head 2

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5.0Ghz / Gigabyte 2080ti water force extreme / 32 Gb RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600 / 2Tb Samsung 970 Evoplus NVMe M.2 / Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas / Thrustmaster Pedals / Valve Index.

Hi thanks for your comments and glad you are enjoying the campaign. My response below.

Firstly yes there is a mission requirement to land and pick up some fuel. The idea was to add a night landing and take off to the mix. Also the night landing is not straight forward as there is quite a high cross wind that some pilots may found challenging. Also allowing for the case 3 carrier landing and delayed approach time a lot of pilots will need to refuel. ( Did you also maintain the designated speed to get there as per instructions as the idea is you need to get there quickly which should burn quite a bit) All that said I take your point though and giving pilots the option to land for refuel is something I will consider in a future update though.

Ok now to issues you have had with the carrier landings. The truth is once you make contact with the Stennis from that point on the mission design does not impinge on any actions apart from success feed back when you have actually landed. So the responses etc from the Stennis will not be governed in any way by what you have done or not done before in the mission as you may have thought. There is nothing in the mission design requiring the Stennis to ask you to divert anywhere. With latest DCS updates when you approach the Stennis you will be required to carry out CASE 3 procedures which will normally require you to orbit some 21 miles or so behind the Stennis until a given approach time and then you need to follow the CASE 3 procedures until landed. With this procedure it true to say the lights don't come on until the last minute. If these procedures are not followed fully it could be the reason why the lights didn't come on, not sure. Was it the Stennis that asked you to divert?

Hope this helps

Hey Glyn! Thanks for your fast response. I understand what you are saying and i can totally live with that.

For your SA

I flew at FL250 at 500Kts GS to WP1. I don't know what altitude was assigned or if there was one assigned. Flying that far and that fast only makes sense at high altitude in that situation. It took 3 passes to destroy the targets. 7000lbs of fuel left. I landed at the airbase and refueled (took 2000lbs). I took off and headed to the carrier. When I contacted stennis I was told to either "Go to divert" or "Divert to ..." I dont remember exactly. Using the radio ATC menu I contacted stennis multiple times and kept getting that same reply. I overflew the deck and tried everything to get the lights on. I tried landing on NODs but the AOA indexer is just too bright. I can live with having to land at the airbase, I just need to be able to see the deck when I get to the carrier. I will fly it again and see what happens. It could have been one of those classic DCS glitches. Ill let you know.

Thanks Again!

Hey Glyn! Thanks for your fast response. I understand what you are saying and i can totally live with that.

For your SA

I flew at FL250 at 500Kts GS to WP1. I don't know what altitude was assigned or if there was one assigned. Flying that far and that fast only makes sense at high altitude in that situation. It took 3 passes to destroy the targets. 7000lbs of fuel left. I landed at the airbase and refueled (took 2000lbs). I took off and headed to the carrier. When I contacted stennis I was told to either "Go to divert" or "Divert to ..." I dont remember exactly. Using the radio ATC menu I contacted stennis multiple times and kept getting that same reply. I overflew the deck and tried everything to get the lights on. I tried landing on NODs but the AOA indexer is just too bright. I can live with having to land at the airbase, I just need to be able to see the deck when I get to the carrier. I will fly it again and see what happens. It could have been one of those classic DCS glitches. Ill let you know.

Thanks Again!

Thanks for that. Did you follow the case 3 procedures think that’s important for lights on.

I9 9900K @ 5.0Ghz / Gigabyte 2080ti water force extreme / 32 Gb RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600 / 2Tb Samsung 970 Evoplus NVMe M.2 / Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas / Thrustmaster Pedals / Valve Index.

For your SA

Thanks Again!

HI , Just flew mission and complied with case 3 procedures carrier lit up and all was well. :thumbup:

I retried the mission and it worked this time. The first time I couldnt comply with case 3 instructions because they didn't give me any. They told me to divert.

Was it your fuel state do you think ?