Pilot hand signals

WelshZeCorgi

well definitely needed for WWII if you want realism.... Still quite difficult to see in a flat monitor on DCS, i cant see a bomber 2 miles away...

I'm pretty sure the primary means of communication in WWII was radio, too. As for not seeing a bomber at 2 miles...... *shakes head* Try opening your eyes?

• Like 1

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

I'm pretty sure the primary means of communication in WWII was radio, too. As for not seeing a bomber at 2 miles...... *shakes head* Try opening your eyes?

sure poste me a screenshot of a plane .5 miles away and I want to see the pilots head in detail .. much less a hand..

I think a small speech bubble with a distinct hand signal in an emoji-like format over the cockpit would be the simplest way to implement them.

I would REALLY prefer actual 3d pilot model animation, but I think it would be difficult to see them at a distance due to how LOD for models are rendered in DCS and the amount of resources ED would be willing to use for something probably few outside milsim groups would use.

I would rather have something than nothing.

• 2 years later...
On 10/25/2020 at 4:30 PM, WelshZeCorgi said:

Would be nice to get some simple hand signals for the pilots to use.

While I imagine that this is a lot more work than other requests, it would be nice to do hand signals to other pilots in multiplayer. I just fear that it is probably a very complex and time consuming thing to achieve. It's not just the animation (such as a salute), but it would also need to take into account:

• The direction the pilot is facing. (Is he looking left, right, forward, or up (everyone is thinking topgun here 😉)), and animations would need to be done for the different directions.
  • The different kind of hand signals. 

Don't get me wrong - I would love to see this. As someone who flies VR with mates in close formation, I love seeing just the head movements to know where people are looking. Adding hand gestures to this would be great, but let's consider maybe something basic:

Hand gestures that allow for left and right only (x2)

Hand gestures that include 

• Thumbs Up (yes)
  • Thumbs Now (no)
  • Closed Fist (Tight formation)
  • Open Hand Wave (Spread Out)
  • Hand Chop (Separate)
  • Finger Circle (Turn around)
  • Palm Down (descend)
  • Palm Up (ascend)
  • Fist Bump (agreement, excitement, splash)
  • Pointing to self (Follow me / take lead)

We're talking 10 signals x 2 directions = 20 different animations that would need to be done (compare this to how long it took to get the one currently done for salute). And then we have this replicated in each aircraft. 

As much as I'd love to see these (and more), I think that it would take way too much work to implement, for the few people that would appreciate it. Plus, the can of worms would open up as I'm sure there's other hand signals that have been missed that others would say "We need this too"...

As a result, while I +1 this request, I also can accept that this may be something that would be very low on ED's radar. 

4 hours ago, Dangerzone said:

We're talking 10 signals x 2 directions = 20 different animations that would need to be done (compare this to how long it took to get the one currently done for salute). And then we have this replicated in each aircraft.

... and it would require multiplayer, a segment that is lamentably small (I read something around 5%) and inside that segment those players who actually fly formation with each other (that's probably 5% of 5% = 0.25%. And it would always (during the entire flight) burn the reverse kinematics performance required to animate the pilot body's skeleton for those gestures. 

Don't get me wrong, as a fellow VR pilot I love the idea. And I do fly with friends, although very seldom in formation where I can see the other pilot up close (for the simple reason that I'm not good enough a pilot), good and long enough to communicate via hand signals. Hand signals would be a great thing to have. And it's *way* down on my list of things that I would prefer to see before that happens. Not because I don't like it, but -- to egotistical me -- it's such a rare occurrence to be usable. 

So, yes please, but only after we have a host of other features like better ground AI, better naval unit AI, an undo feature in Mission Editor, the ability to spawn damaged units (both player and AI), or change time of day and weather in a mission on the fly. To name just a few 🙂 

• Like 3