Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3D Pilot Body automatic transparency

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    3D Pilot Body automatic transparency

    When the 3D pilot body is active, it sometimes blocks some switches from view, so they can't be interacted with.

    I propose an option where the arms of the pilot, or whole body, becomes automatically invisible when the mouse pointer is active.
    Jarl at YouTube
    DCS Service Span and Wishlist Spreadsheet

    Forum post for discussion of above spreadsheet
    Retro Electro Playlist on Spotify

    #2
    I would go on a little further and ask for a simple animation of the arm to take a hand from the throttle or stick and raise it just a bit - better visually and more immersive, even if just instant change of position for a second.
    G4560@3,5GHz/DDR4-16GB/GTX970-4GB/SATA3-SSD, Win7-64, 27"LCD-FullHD, T16000M HOTAS, customTiR
    Aircraft: FC3, F-14B
    / Supercarrier / Maps: NTTR, PG

    Comment


      #3
      I can imagine that going "invisible" would be a jarring experience every time the player grabs or bumps the mouse. Maybe something like a 2 second fade to 50% opacity would be better.
      Check out my DCS VoiceAttack Profiles
      Check out my Mods and Utilities on ED User Files

      Comment


        #4
        I just have a "show/hide pilot body" hotas binding . Simple . Effective . No waiting on ED , and no additional cpu load .
        9700k , Aorus Pro wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , EVGA 1070 FE , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Hotas on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , RiftS

        "Hold my beer"

        Comment


          #5
          I find seeing a pilot body to be really odd. Typically flight sims never had this. In fact I think DCS is the only one. Usually it’s the Arcade games which have a body. Of course because it hides the controls and such but in an Arcade game those aren’t used.
          Velocity Micro PC | Asus Z97-A | i7-4790K 4.7GHz | Corsair Liquid CPU Cooler | 32GB DDR3-1600MHz Memory | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC | 240gb Intel 520 Series MLC SSD | 850 W Corsair PSU | Windows 10 Home | LG 32UD99-W UHD Monitor | Bose Companion 5 Speakers | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5
          sigpic

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by SharpeXB View Post
            I find seeing a pilot body to be really odd. Typically flight sims never had this. In fact I think DCS is the only one. Usually it’s the Arcade games which have a body. Of course because it hides the controls and such but in an Arcade game those aren’t used.
            Pilot body is much more immersive in VR . Not so much in pancake .
            9700k , Aorus Pro wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , EVGA 1070 FE , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Hotas on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , RiftS

            "Hold my beer"

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by SharpeXB View Post
              I find seeing a pilot body to be really odd. Typically flight sims never had this. In fact I think DCS is the only one. Usually it’s the Arcade games which have a body. Of course because it hides the controls and such but in an Arcade game those aren’t used.
              Sounds like you're so long in sim world that you forgot what it is for Don't you find odd that you see your hands holding guns in FPS?
              G4560@3,5GHz/DDR4-16GB/GTX970-4GB/SATA3-SSD, Win7-64, 27"LCD-FullHD, T16000M HOTAS, customTiR
              Aircraft: FC3, F-14B
              / Supercarrier / Maps: NTTR, PG

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Svsmokey View Post
                Pilot body is much more immersive in VR . Not so much in pancake .
                Yet I don't know how to fly with it (in VR) because it always hides switches on the consoles. Same for the stick actually, I have both of them off in VR. To each his own.

                I would actually welcome such an option. Especially for startup procedure, since for the rest of the flight I mostly use MFDs and HOTAS controls. But since I turn it off for the startup, I never actually bother to turn it back on. Always makes me sad when I see how much work goes into the making of such a detailed model. Please find a way to make it more user friendly and stop blocking the consoles from view...

                Comment


                  #9
                  As one of the stronger "VR pilot body is a must have for immersion" supporters (heck, I think I should be made leader of this movement! ), I can only support the OP's wish. Anything that would help improve the current VR pilot body, so that at some point it is a must have for everyone at day 1 EA release, gets my full support.

                  The lack of a pilot body and seeing those empty void cockpits (especially the rudder pedal area), is pretty much the reason why I stopped flying the Harrier, Viper and Tomcat.. and I'll probably lay off the A-10C II as well, soon.. It just looks so silly and fake in VR..
                  System specs:
                  Spoiler:
                  System specs: i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- HP Reverb v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by draconus View Post

                    Sounds like you're so long in sim world that you forgot what it is for Don't you find odd that you see your hands holding guns in FPS?
                    No of course it’s not odd in an FPS game nor other first person sims such as racing. But in flight sims you operate the cockpit and the body just gets in the way of that or seeing instruments etc. So typically these games haven’t had a body. I can’t think of any other flight sim with one.
                    Velocity Micro PC | Asus Z97-A | i7-4790K 4.7GHz | Corsair Liquid CPU Cooler | 32GB DDR3-1600MHz Memory | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC | 240gb Intel 520 Series MLC SSD | 850 W Corsair PSU | Windows 10 Home | LG 32UD99-W UHD Monitor | Bose Companion 5 Speakers | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5
                    sigpic

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by SharpeXB View Post

                      No of course it’s not odd in an FPS game nor other first person sims such as racing. But in flight sims you operate the cockpit and the body just gets in the way of that or seeing instruments etc. So typically these games haven’t had a body. I can’t think of any other flight sim with one.
                      Hence this thread Body is optional, there's usually the button to remove it instantly, I just can't wait for the times when I see my own hand rendered moving, switching or making shadow in the cockpit.
                      G4560@3,5GHz/DDR4-16GB/GTX970-4GB/SATA3-SSD, Win7-64, 27"LCD-FullHD, T16000M HOTAS, customTiR
                      Aircraft: FC3, F-14B
                      / Supercarrier / Maps: NTTR, PG

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by SharpeXB View Post

                        No of course it’s not odd in an FPS game nor other first person sims such as racing. But in flight sims you operate the cockpit and the body just gets in the way of that or seeing instruments etc. So typically these games haven’t had a body. I can’t think of any other flight sim with one.
                        In real life your body (arms/shoulders) also block most of the direct view of the side panels. At least for the Viper I can confirm that from personal experience. Hence they develop cockpit layouts in such an ergonomic way to minimize the need of touching the side panel switches during flight.
                        • Is it easy to operate all the cockpit switches without a pilot body in the way? Certainly
                        • Is it realistic to operate all the cockpit switches without a pilot body in the way? Not really no
                        • Can the current pilot body be improved? Of course (whole point of this thread)
                        System specs:
                        Spoiler:
                        System specs: i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- HP Reverb v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Not the entire body becomes transparent, but the area around the cursor.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            For the body to be really feasible in a flight sim it would have to move around corresponding to your actions. In a racing sim it simply has to turn the wheel and operate the shifter. But there’s no clickable controls or instruments for it to block. Same with an FPS game. Flight sims have always represented a difficulty in showing the body which is why they never have. And it’s become the norm. Even in new graphically elaborate flight sims there’s no body. Sure it could be made to animate with VR gloves or something but for now that’s just a fantasy.
                            Velocity Micro PC | Asus Z97-A | i7-4790K 4.7GHz | Corsair Liquid CPU Cooler | 32GB DDR3-1600MHz Memory | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC | 240gb Intel 520 Series MLC SSD | 850 W Corsair PSU | Windows 10 Home | LG 32UD99-W UHD Monitor | Bose Companion 5 Speakers | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5
                            sigpic

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by SharpeXB View Post
                              For the body to be really feasible in a flight sim it would have to move around corresponding to your actions. In a racing sim it simply has to turn the wheel and operate the shifter. But there’s no clickable controls or instruments for it to block. Same with an FPS game. Flight sims have always represented a difficulty in showing the body which is why they never have. And it’s become the norm. Even in new graphically elaborate flight sims there’s no body. Sure it could be made to animate with VR gloves or something but for now that’s just a fantasy.
                              I'm so happy that DCS is trying to break that norm and set a new standard.
                              The current pilot body is a good start, to get to that new standard.

                              Saying "it has never been done before, so why try to change and improve it", is quite a poor argument imo.

                              Iirc, I read that RAZBAM is creating a pilot body that also generates shadows that follow the players head movement. Imagine being able to cast shadow over the mfd's with your head, to increase readability.
                              System specs:
                              Spoiler:
                              System specs: i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- HP Reverb v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat

                              Comment


                                #16
                                Originally posted by sirrah View Post

                                Iirc, I read that RAZBAM is creating a pilot body that also generates shadows that follow the players head movement. Imagine being able to cast shadow over the mfd's with your head, to increase readability.
                                On that sidenote, I can't wait for the ability to block sunlight on the MFD or in your face with your hand in VR or with a keybind on flatscreen. Maybe one day!
                                Check out my DCS VoiceAttack Profiles
                                Check out my Mods and Utilities on ED User Files

                                Comment


                                  #17
                                  Originally posted by Bailey View Post

                                  On that sidenote, I can't wait for the ability to block sunlight on the MFD or in your face with your hand in VR or with a keybind on flatscreen. Maybe one day!
                                  You can block the sun with part of your canopy frame or your monitor edge.
                                  Velocity Micro PC | Asus Z97-A | i7-4790K 4.7GHz | Corsair Liquid CPU Cooler | 32GB DDR3-1600MHz Memory | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC | 240gb Intel 520 Series MLC SSD | 850 W Corsair PSU | Windows 10 Home | LG 32UD99-W UHD Monitor | Bose Companion 5 Speakers | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5
                                  sigpic

                                  Comment


                                    #18
                                    Originally posted by sirrah View Post
                                    Saying "it has never been done before, so why try to change and improve it", is quite a poor argument imo.
                                    The reasons it isn’t done are pretty logical. The solutions here like VR gloves and animated arms are pretty much a fantasy. Also wouldn’t it be not immersive to see a flashlight-like hole appear in your body around the mouse cursor?
                                    If I were a VR player I’d want ED working on performance issues rather than this, which would probable just make performance worse due to rendering transparency.

                                    An easy solution if you like to see the body is just assign a mouse button (on a gaming mouse with extra buttons) to turn it on and off. When you reach for a control that’s blocked just do that.

                                    Velocity Micro PC | Asus Z97-A | i7-4790K 4.7GHz | Corsair Liquid CPU Cooler | 32GB DDR3-1600MHz Memory | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC | 240gb Intel 520 Series MLC SSD | 850 W Corsair PSU | Windows 10 Home | LG 32UD99-W UHD Monitor | Bose Companion 5 Speakers | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5
                                    sigpic

                                    Comment


                                      #19
                                      Originally posted by SharpeXB View Post
                                      The reasons it isn’t done are pretty logical. The solutions here like VR gloves and animated arms are pretty much a fantasy. Also wouldn’t it be not immersive to see a flashlight-like hole appear in your body around the mouse cursor?
                                      If I were a VR player I’d want ED working on performance issues rather than this, which would probable just make performance worse due to rendering transparency.

                                      An easy solution if you like to see the body is just assign a mouse button (on a gaming mouse with extra buttons) to turn it on and off. When you reach for a control that’s blocked just do that.
                                      It's not a fantasy. It's very much programable and not at all cpu heavy. It's a matter of time to see it more and more advanced.
                                      Also I don't know where does it come from that pilot body is for VR only. I hate seeing empty seat on a monitor too.

                                      There's no point discussing it with you since you don't like or use the feature anyway.
                                      G4560@3,5GHz/DDR4-16GB/GTX970-4GB/SATA3-SSD, Win7-64, 27"LCD-FullHD, T16000M HOTAS, customTiR
                                      Aircraft: FC3, F-14B
                                      / Supercarrier / Maps: NTTR, PG

                                      Comment


                                        #20
                                        As a "pancake" user, the topic of a pilot body just seems like a bottomless pit of demands. It must look good, it must be animated, it must not block switches, it must follow hand held controllers, it must be partially transparent, it must be modified with patches/uniforms, it should be diverse in genders and ethnicity, perhaps with user customization options.

                                        Jeez... It'll do all those things and I'll probably still turn it off... no thanks. I can see why this isn't a popular development path for flight sims. Not saying you guys shouldn't have your neat feature, but look all the problems it makes vs how easy the solution is...

                                        How about this... a "mask" feature like the current HMD's have, but in reverse. Within a certain angle of the aircraft waterline, the body is visible. You can look all directions up and to the side, but when your head position tilts a certain angle down or greater (you intend to interact with switches, not just instruments) the pilot body blanks. When you look back up it reappears. Or it can be tied to cursor position, i.e. body blanks when cursor overlaps the boundaries of a cockpit side panel.

                                        I only use in cockpit body models for multi-crew aircraft like the UH-1H and Mi-8MTV2, and only for those seats that I'm not occupying. That's a nice feature BTW. But I really wouldn't be bothered by having the cockpit completely empty, it is in every other sim I fly

                                        Comment

                                        Working...
                                        X