Remove the Auto Start Cheat

SharpeXB

Is it too much to ask for a cold start option?

Every single SP mission I get for the Hornet including paid DLC campaigns feature hot starts for the aircraft. WTF?! I’ve never seen campaigns like this before with any other aircraft. If players want to skip the start sequence they can just use Auto Start but putting a hot start as a default ruins it for those of is who want the full sim experience. And it’s not just one mission it’s all of them! The only SP mission I can find with a cold start is actually the Cold Start quick mission.

Edited by SharpeXB
  • Like 1

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

After you've done the startup the first ten times, it's no longer teaching or contributing to the experience. From a mission design standpoint it's wasted time that has to be allowed for in designing the mission.

If you want to run through the full ten minute startup sequence, then fire up a mission to do that, if you want to play through a combat op, then THAT should be your focus.

They're not going to remove autostart OR the possibility to hotstart for mission design. It's unrealistic to even ask. Enlist at your local recruiter, not here @@ Then you'll get the ''full experience'' and have 100% immersion @@

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

• ED Team

Its been discussed many times, but no, we will not remove the auto start.

Users can play how they choose to in DCS regarding the auto start. Its personal choice.

Thanks

• Like 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

If you don't like it don't use it.

I hate FC3 modules on MP servers because they're to easy in my opinion so I avoid those servers...simple.

Ryzen 7 3800x - 32G DDR4 3400Mhz - RTX 2070 - M.2 1TB - Saitek x52 - Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals - Oculus Rift - 2 lap cats

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000, AJS37 Viggen, AV-8B, MIG-21bis, MIG-19P, Mig-15, F5-E3, F-86F, A-4, F-14, A-10C, JF-17

If you don't like it don't use it.

I feel as though the OP has shot himself in the foot with the way he's framed the post. I don't think Auto-Start is actually the problem he's trying to address. The actual issue seems to be that so many campaigns and missions default to an aircraft that's already up and running, versus one that's cold and dark.

Rather than "removing auto-start", the better solution would be something along the lines of "Provide an option that allows all missions to start from cold and dark." That way, players can decide for themselves whether or not to start hot or cold, and - if they choose "cold" - they can go through the full start-up sequence or just use the auto-start shortcuts.

If I'm right and that was the OP's actual intent, then I'm totally on board. I always start from cold and dark wherever possible, and that's an important part of the experience for me. I hate starting "hot" and then having to figure out what has/hasn't been configured.

• Like 1

i7-7700K @ 4.9Ghz | 16Gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz | MSI Z270 Gaming M7 | MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti Gaming X | Win 10 Home | Thrustmaster Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Oculus Rift S

There is a simple way to change how start the engines in DCS between coldstar or auto start;

Edit your mission,with the editor.

Why do you not do that?i'm talking about only for mentioned missions:

" Every single SP mission I get for the Hornet including paid DLC campaigns feature hot starts for the aircraft".

I don't think "WTF"could change anything.

Sharp, your thread title is about one thing, while the post itself is about something completely unrelated. I suppose Pizzacato's explanation is correct?
Yeah. The subject is misleading, yet I read the whole post and understood him completely. Haha

And yes I agree, would be fantastic if one could choose a campaign or whatever with cold starts. But of course, I don't want autostart to go away.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• ED Team
Hehe

I guess he meant "hotstarts" not the autostart ability!

Cheers!

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Same applies, it would be up to the mission creator if hot starts are used in a mission or not.

Thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Hot Starts

Not sure about Campaigns, but a lot of the included missions, I edit them myself. Save them with a new name. I have done the same with other missions downloaded.

Easy to bring up ME, modify aircraft to be cold and dark, save as "Cold Start XXX". That way you get the best of both.

• Like 1

Pointy end hurt! Fire burn!!
JTF-191 25th Draggins - Hawg Main. Black Shark 2, A10C, A10CII, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Mig-15, Mig-19, Mig-21, P-51, F-15, Su-27, Su-33, Mig-29, FW-190 Dora, Anton, BF 109, Mossie, Normandy, Caucasus, NTTR, Persian Gulf, Channel, Syria, Marianas, WWII Assets, CA. (WWII backer picked aircraft ME-262, P-47D).

I don’t really care about how other people play the sim
So then what's your point?

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Rather than "removing auto-start", the better solution would be something along the lines of "Provide an option that allows all missions to start from cold and dark." That way, players can decide for themselves whether or not to start hot or cold, and - if they choose "cold" - they can go through the full start-up sequence or just use the auto-start shortcuts.

That’s obviously the best solution. It doesn’t make sense to design missions with a hot start when they could be done with the cold start, everyone already has a Auto Start option if they want it.

But I guess that’s too much to ask for, so I’m sarcastically asking to get rid of the Auto Start.

I don’t think that’s really the solution but it’s ridiculous to have your choices taken away. So how would it feel in reverse? What if the sim forced you to cold start every time?

Users can play how they choose to in DCS regarding the auto start. Its personal choice.

They can’t choose when it’s forced on you in a campaign. And it’s ridiculous to pay for a campaign that short changes your experience in the sim. In the future I’ll be careful about what I pay for.

I never realized how much I like starting the aircraft until it’s been taken away in every mission

So then what's your point?

Because the choice is being forced on me in DLC campaigns now. I’ve never seen this before in DCS

can OP edit the thread title please?

No because it’s a sarcastic attention grabber :music_whistling:

Edited by SharpeXB
  • Thanks 1

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Those that create have the power. Save the miz and edit.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

If I wanted to edit a campaign that I paid for i'd just build the campaign and save to money. If you're going to charge money you should try and please the customer.

It also applies to ED who made the missions the planes come with. We pay for those.

• Like 1

Buzz

If I wanted to edit a campaign that I paid for i'd just build the campaign and save to money. If you're going to charge money you should try and please the customer.

It also applies to ED who made the missions the planes come with. We pay for those.

You have the choice to pay or not. If your not going to be happy with the product, don't buy it. You can easily ask if it has your required options.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

You have the choice to pay or not. If your not going to be happy with the product, don't buy it. You can easily ask if it has your required options.

In the future I will be asking first. It’s ridiculous that we have to ask for simulation features in a simulation.

DCS has been flooded with ‘make stuff go boom” gamers :doh:

can OP edit the thread title please?

I would actually but I don’t think that can be edited. What I’m really asking for is the option of a cold start instead of the hot starts being forced on you. An Auto Start feature actually makes it more flexible for players if every mission started on the ramp.

But it’s being used as such a crutch apparently that nobody knows how to start any of the aircraft so mission designers have stopped putting ramp starts into campaigns.

Edited by SharpeXB
  • Thanks 1

I don’t really care about how other people play the sim and yes I suppose there is a use for this in terms of accessibility. But it’s just getting out of control IMO and it’s really affecting my personal enjoyment of DCS. Every single SP mission I get for the Hornet including paid DLC campaigns feature hot starts for the aircraft. WTF?! I’ve never seen campaigns like this before with any other aircraft. If players wanted to skip the start sequence they could just use Auto Start but putting that as a default ruins the experience for those of is who want the full sim experience. And it’s not just one mission it’s all of them! The only SP mission I can find with a cold start is actually the Cold Start quick mission. So it’s apparent that DCS is being overrun by players who really don’t want the sim experience but are forcing themselves into DCS. When MAC launches they’ll have their simplified systems aircraft and DCS should get rid of this cheat because it’s just getting out of control.

2 Things

1: When designing a mission, accounting for variables in startup time can seriously bork a mission timeline. Especially when some people can do it faster than the auto function and some take half the day. There are some workarounds for this, but it's more effort for the mission designer. That said, I've started designing most of my missions cold-start.

2: You can go into any custom mission you like, select the player aircraft, and under the first waypoint change it from 'hot start' or 'start on runway' to 'start on ramp.' If you're too lazy to do that with a freeware mission file that somebody else put their time and effort into creating, feel free to design and play your own stuff. Not everyone plays the way you do. For payware missions and campaigns, feel free to vote with your wallet.

Is it even possible to edit paid campaigns and have them still work correctly?

Because I agree with the OP: if the paid campaigns have hotstart aircraft in every mission they would be wasted money for me.

• Like 1

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H