No Black Pilot Skins???

ramirras

Does anyone have any links to any pilot skins that have darker skin tones? I've been told that the pilots that come with the P-51 module are Black but I want one for the modern fighters. I can't believe that DCS developers dropped the ball on this. :noexpression:

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While we're at it let's also add:

-Asian

-Middle Eastern

-Indian

-Martian :D

Awaiting angry replies about using incorrect demonyms.

Also we have what.. six different LSO models? ..and non of them is black. Altogether there are no black people on the whole Supercarrier module.......:noexpression:

Also we have what.. six different LSO models? ..and non of them is black. Altogether there are no black people on the whole Supercarrier module.......:noexpression:

You can't be looking that hard then.

qZu9HkC.png

This is just on the stock CVN-71 without me adding anything, on the deck I counted 14 black crew members out of a total of 40, or about 35%, just for comparison, percentage of black people in the US is somewhere around 12-14% AFAIK.

It's true that the static personnel are mostly white, but going through the whole lot about 25% of them are black (all found under 'Carrier Shooters').

As for the black pilot models - inside the cockpit it's very difficult to notice/if not impossible in most cases and that's even if the pilot model is turned on. Outside it's more obvious, but I'd chalk it up to an oversight personally, as IMO there are more pressing 3D/Texture art issues, and the list is fairly extensive. That said it would be fairly trivial to add some black pilot models, it's literally just a matter of making another texture, maybe some degree of randomisation or possibly a separate 'pilot skin' option somewhere.

When it comes to diversity, I think it is best served in crew member models/infantry where you can clearly see their faces (like we have already), that way they will be noticed, and therefore it makes more sense. But for me the main thing is for the voices of various communications, which will be a gigantic improvement (radio communications across the board are in dire need for an overhaul, adding diversity should definitely be part of that overhaul

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

This thread reminded me of this famous request:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=208740

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Thank god!!!!!! That is immensely good news for many people. It would be nice to not be locked to Kiowa, but it’s progress:wub:

Why do females have problems with male voices while I have no problem playing with female ones? It's such a ridiculous thing to be angry just for the voice. I've always hated people when they try to make a passion subject to sexuality.

Why do females have problems with male voices while I have no problem playing with female ones? It's such a ridiculous thing to be angry just for the voice. I've always hated people when they try to make a passion subject to sexuality.

It’s always nice to see yourself represented to some degree. How would you feel if this game had only female voices and bodies and you were forced into that one option at all times? A lot here would probably call it early access and want to know if or when male voice/body will be added

Being forced into that one option may not be unenjoyable or uncomfortable for you, but I would hope you don’t see anything wrong in people saying it does have an impact on them and that more then once choice would be a good thing

I promise you, me and many others have not made this request in anger but genuinely wish for it like any of the other 3D/model wishlists here, so as your post says I hope you don’t hate me or others that wish for it:):pilotfly:

Edited by AeriaGloria

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

Does anyone have any links to any pilot skins that have darker skin tones? I've been told that the pilots that come with the P-51 module are Black but I want one for the modern fighters. I can't believe that DCS developers dropped the ball on this. :noexpression:

There is one black pilot in the P-51, but it is in the wrong P-51 because it is a 4th FG P-51. Someone tried... oh well.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

While we're at it let's also add:

-Asian

-Middle Eastern

-Indian

-Martian

Awaiting angry replies about using incorrect demonyms.

:lol::lol::lol: Why not? It's closer to reality than making ALL of the pilot liveries white males with the exception of the Tuskegee Airmen in the P-51 module.

You can't be looking that hard then.

qZu9HkC.png

This is just on the stock CVN-71 without me adding anything, on the deck I counted 14 black crew members out of a total of 40, or about 35%, just for comparison, percentage of black people in the US is somewhere around 12-14% AFAIK.

It's true that the static personnel are mostly white, but going through the whole lot about 25% of them are black (all found under 'Carrier Shooters').

As for the black pilot models - inside the cockpit it's very difficult to notice/if not impossible in most cases and that's even if the pilot model is turned on. Outside it's more obvious, but I'd chalk it up to an oversight personally, as IMO there are more pressing 3D/Texture art issues, and the list is fairly extensive. That said it would be fairly trivial to add some black pilot models, it's literally just a matter of making another texture, maybe some degree of randomisation or possibly a separate 'pilot skin' option somewhere.

When it comes to diversity, I think it is best served in crew member models/infantry where you can clearly see their faces (like we have already), that way they will be noticed, and therefore it makes more sense. But for me the main thing is for the voices of various communications, which will be a gigantic improvement (radio communications across the board are in dire need for an overhaul, adding diversity should definitely be part of that overhaul

Erm oops.. the blindness was strong in me in this case then :doh: I´ve definitely just looked at the statics on the bridge, Airboss station and addable LSO models.

This thread reminded me of this famous request:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=208740

But this is also true. I see that it is not the biggest issue in DCS of course.

All in all there also shouldn´t be the need for discussing diversity in any forum in 2020 anymore.. But unfortunately it is so...

I honestly feel the under represented deserve all the modules free of charge. Manufacturers should comp them complete hotas setups and no aircraft shall be armed with lethal projectiles.

I’m also offended by the score keeping as I feel there should be no winners Or loosers but rather a group of “participants”.

I think Ill quit my job and sit on my balls....

I9 (5Ghz turbo)2080ti 64Gb 3200 ram. 3 drives. A sata 2tb storage and 2 M.2 drives. 1 is 1tb, 1 is 500gb.

Valve Index, Virpil t50 cm2 stick, t50 base and v3 throttle w mini stick. MFG crosswind pedals.

Erm oops.. the blindness was strong in me in this case then :doh: I´ve definitely just looked at the statics on the bridge, Airboss station and addable LSO models.

No worries, ironically that's the one place I haven't checked yet. :P

But in terms of the deck crew, and the personnel under static objects, I'd say there's a good amount of representation.

Of course there's the pilots, in exterior views, the changes are trivial to make, literally just replace the base colour of the skin and you're pretty much all set. I am of the opinion that in lieu of other related issues I'd argue it's pretty minor.

But for me the main place I'd like to see diversity is in radio communications, the more voice actors and the more variety in the voice acting the better.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

If the gender or race of a fictional 3D model that exists in a virtual fantasy land triggers people then they need to grow the frak up.

Or, maybe you could just try to listen and learn something. Empathy is a good trait for anybody.

Representation matters. You see it in all forms of media, and especially in video games, where we like to play to pretend we're taking the places of somebody else, it would be nice if that virtual person matched with our own virtual identities. Women have served in combat roles in the military for over a generation now, and there have been fighter pilots of other races than white for 70 years, but that's not represented in games.

For young women or people of color, not seeing yourself in these roles makes it harder to imagine being able to ever do it yourself. I mean, Flip Wilson in the Raven One books is black, and there's even a brief passage asking why there aren't more black officers and especially pilots in the Navy - this is part of why. Also, Olive and Psycho feature pretty prominently in the books, so why shouldn't they also be in the campaign as more than just voices?

Women I served with made this video 13 years ago - obviously, the diversity is already there in the fleet- if we're striving for ultimate realism, why not include that diversity in the game?

"For young women or people of color, not seeing yourself in these roles makes it harder to imagine being able to ever do it yourself"

Yet they do it every day.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

Not at a proportionate rate to white men, as a percentage of the population.

Which population? Which country? DCS isn't about just one nation, it represents most of the world in terms of military air power. I curious about where you expect to see these pilots, most of the planes (not all but most) in DCS have pilots with helmets w/ visors so you can't see the face anyway. If you turn the pilot body on, you're wearing a flight suit with gloves. It's supposed to be a first person point of view anyway. If you're just asking for the option, cool I get it, but I think their are bigger fish to fry in DCS before this issue.

Learn to do skins, most of the pilots are able to be edited. You want a black pilot, go make one. You want female voices, add them to your missions. Personally I find the training mission in the A-10C and the P-51 be be an awesome switch, as I believe they use a person of color for that voice. The beauty of DCS is it can be anything you want it to be, if you're willing to put the effort in.

Regarding different voices being available, as in female voices for the females or even "black" voices for blacks etc.

Modern neural networking tech has made it almost trivial to generate your own custom voices for the game as long as you have the text you want to be read.

The biggest problem with DCS pilot customization however is the lack of moustache customization, which shouldn't be mere texture without any 3d geometry on the pilot.

Absolute travesty considering how important moustaches are in proper aviation

Exactly this. It would make communications more realistic but nothing too important.

That's right! Incompetent male ATC needs to have incompetent female ATC too! This is clearly bias against men.:music_whistling:

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria