AIM-7 Pitbull

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AIM-7 Pitbull

Yesterday, following a nice online engagement, I have been silently killed by an invisible weapon. I do not recall any RWR warning on that matter.

The attached Tacview replay shows clearly it was an AIM-7 fired by a F-15C. Despite counter measures, the likely loss of the lock by the F-15C, followed by the death of the launcher F-15C.

The AIM-7 flew strait to me for about 28 seconds without any possible guidance from the launcher aircraft.

Looks like it turned "stealth" pitbull at some point...

I have attached an extract of the acmi file (to open in Tacview, not in a text editor). I can provide you with the trk file as well if necessary.

Check the attached acmi file for the full engagement!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	AIM-7-Pitbull.jpg
Views:	472
Size:	228.8 KB
ID:	7114367
    Attached Files

In what some would describe as a pure self-less and heroic act, I turned back and sacrificed myself to save my teammate Vyrtuoz to avoid having to say to his wife and his 6 kids that he didn't come back from the front...
    All this for nothing because I didn't know the AIM7 was secretly a fox3
    Mirknir

My old server:
    The Thread

Comment

Did you have ECM on? Because then the AIM-7 was guiding on those emissions in Home on Jam (HOJ) mode
      Intel i7-4790K @ 4x4GHz + 16 GB DDR3 + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Comment

Impressive!

Click image for larger version  Name:	AIM7.gif Views:	0 Size:	32.8 KB ID:	7114433

@QuiGon: You mean the AIM-7 can be autoguided in some cases?
        Accurate DCS 2.5 Caucasus map - v1.0

Comment

Yep, the AIM-7s will guide on your jammer if you dont turn them off, and you will not get any RWR alert, as its passive
          Eagle Enthusiast, Fresco Fan. Patiently waiting for the F-15E. Clicky F-15C when?
          HP Z400 Workstation
          Intel Xeon W3680(i7-980X) OC'd to 4.0 GHz, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC Gaming, 12 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB Crucial MX500 SSD. Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS, DIY opentrack head-tracking. I upload DCS videos here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-...J-QUX5M7Dh1pGg
          sigpic
          The Alamo Squadron is looking for dedicated Air-to-Air focused pilots
          For more detailed recruiting information, see our forums.

Comment

Thank you for the info.
            So, Vyrtuoz, was your jammer still on?

Comment

Originally posted by Flappie View Post
              Impressive!

Click image for larger version Name:	AIM7.gif Views:	0 Size:	32.8 KB ID:	7114433

@QuiGon: You mean the AIM-7 can be autoguided in some cases?
              I wouldn't call it autoguided, as almost all our guided weapons are auto guided (except LGBs and the RB05), but yeah, it will home in on the jamming aircraft without any offboard support.

The AIM-120 can do the same btw, just like the modern russian missiles
              Intel i7-4790K @ 4x4GHz + 16 GB DDR3 + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Comment

Oh no not this bug again, it seems to re-appear almost every other major patch.

Comment

Originally posted by nighthawk2174 View Post
                  Oh no not this bug again, it seems to re-appear almost every other major patch.
                  If you read the thread carefully, it might not be a bug at all, if the AIM-7 was fired in HOJ mode and if Vyrtuoz had his jammer on.

Comment

"AIM-7s will guide on your jammer if you dont turn them off"

Whoooot? Are you kidding me? I've never heard of this behavior. Are there any other FOX-1 type missiles that behave like this? And does that mean that CHAFF are useless as long as you have the ECM on?

Comment

All but the Super 530
                      Eagle Enthusiast, Fresco Fan. Patiently waiting for the F-15E. Clicky F-15C when?
                      HP Z400 Workstation
                      Intel Xeon W3680(i7-980X) OC'd to 4.0 GHz, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC Gaming, 12 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB Crucial MX500 SSD. Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS, DIY opentrack head-tracking. I upload DCS videos here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-...J-QUX5M7Dh1pGg
                      sigpic
                      The Alamo Squadron is looking for dedicated Air-to-Air focused pilots
                      For more detailed recruiting information, see our forums.

Comment

Originally posted by Dagobert666 View Post
                        "AIM-7s will guide on your jammer if you dont turn them off"

Whoooot? Are you kidding me? I've never heard of this behavior. Are there any other FOX-1 type missiles that behave like this? And does that mean that CHAFF are useless as long as you have the ECM on?
                        Old, but still relevant:

Comment

"Home on Jam"

By the way... you shouldn't be able to notch an AIM-7
                          'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow KT View Post
                            "By the way... you shouldn't be able to notch an AIM-7
                            What makes you think so?

This is very wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by dundun92 View Post
                              All but the Super 530
                              Not really. Many Fox 1 missiles do have HOJ capability, but there are more than just the Super 530 in DCS that don't have this capability. The R-3R is another Fox 1 missile for example that is not HOJ capable.

Comment

By the way, not all variants of the AIM-7 can do HOJ. Wasn't it just the MH variant ?
                                'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

Comment

I don't know if the missile in question actually guided via HOJ, but if it did, it should do so ̶i̶n̶ ̶p̶u̶r̶e̶ ̶p̶u̶r̶s̶u̶i̶t̶ ̶o̶n̶l̶y̶ with a sub-optimal trajectory, since it has no range, target heading and target speed info at all. If it guided like it had that info, then it's a bug.
                                  Last edited 10-26-2020, 01:51 PM.
                                  The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs
                                  Join the vCVW-17 Discord

Z370 Aorus Gaming 7, i7-8700K, RTX2080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4, 960 Pro, 970 Evo Plus, WD Gold 6TB, Seasonic Prime Platinum|
                                  F/A-18C ,AV-8B, JF-17, A-10C (C II), M-2000C, F-16C, F-14, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow KT View Post
                                    By the way, not all variants of the AIM-7 can do HOJ. Wasn't it just the MH variant ?
                                    I'm not sure, but AFAIK all currently available Sparrow variants (F, M, MH) are HOJ capable. You're right though that older Sparrow variants (that are not available in DCS yet) don't have this capability.

Originally posted by Harker View Post
                                    I don't know if the missile in question actually guided via HOJ, but if it did, it should do so in pure pursuit only, since it has no range, target heading and target speed info at all. If it guided like it had that info, then it's a bug.
                                    Good point, that's true indeed

Comment

Originally posted by Harker View Post
                                      I don't know if the missile in question actually guided via HOJ, but if it did, it should do so in pure pursuit only, since it has no range, target heading and target speed info at all. If it guided like it had that info, then it's a bug.
                                      PN guidance does not need range information, all it needs is the seeker to track the angular coordinates of the target which the seeker does in HOJ.

A heatseeking missile does not need range information either to do a proper tracking with lead.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackPixxel View Post
                                        PN guidance does not need range information, all it needs is the seeker to track the angular coordinates of the target which the seeker does in HOJ.

A heatseeking missile does not need range information either to do a proper tracking with lead.
                                        Makes sense

Comment

Working...
                                        X