Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Multi-monitor only appearing on ONE monitor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multi-monitor only appearing on ONE monitor?

Haven't seen this one covered before. Just got second monitor hooked up today, and of course DCS is one of first things I launched. Poked around in settings just to try one of the built-in configs at random to see what happened. Picked "Camera+LMFCD(on right side)" for grins and almost got in trouble. It split only 1 monitor's view in half, chopping both displayed screens in half while *nothing* appeared on second monitor. Biggest problem was I could no longer see the "apply" button which gave me no way to change it back! Thankfully browsed forums and manually edited proper text files to reset back to default 1 screen. Did I miss a second update setting needed to utilize second monitor, possibly something in one of the pixel resolution fields? I have 2 identical monitors set at 1920 x 1080 with the following final overall goal. May take me a little while (and more browsing!) to get it programmed, but first step is finding out why second monitor is blank. Anyway:

Main cockpit display on left monitor
    Top half of right monitor = external camera view
    Bottom half of right monitor divided into thirds, with following layout - - LMFCD (which I'm assuming is same thing as DDI on FA-18?) + AMPCD + RMFCD

Might even get froggy and calculate in some small black border spaces around each, but that would be later.

Any tips greatly appreciated!

~Vol
    HOMEBREW RIG:
    MSI MPG x570 Gaming Edge Mobo, Ryzen 7 3.9 GHz octo-core, 32 GB RAM, GeForce 1660 Ti, 512 GB Rocket NVMe SSD, 4 TB HDD, Oculus Quest 128 GB, Warthog HOTAS (finally!!)

MODULES: F/A-18 Hornet, Persian Gulf Map

In the settings menu, as well as selecting Camera+LMFCD, you need to set the resolution of both your monitors added together.

So try 3840x1080, if I remember correctly you can type that in as it won't be in the drop down menu. This is assuming you have set your second monitor to be on the right side of your main monitor physically on your desk, and also in the windows display settings.

I don't think you can display both in cockpit and and an external view at the same time.

But you will be able to have all 3 MFD's displayed on your second monitor but it will take some editing of the .lua config files.

I'm not at my computer for a week so I can't help you there at the moment.

Comment

Jonsky7 is on point. When playing with monitor.luas typically you wand to change the resolution first to avoid the issue you and many others have had.
      Check out my DCS VoiceAttack Profiles
      Check out my Mods and Utilities on ED User Files

Comment

Originally posted by Vol4Ever View Post
        Haven't seen this one covered before. Just got second monitor hooked up today, and of course DCS is one of first things I launched. Poked around in settings just to try one of the built-in configs at random to see what happened. Picked "Camera+LMFCD(on right side)" for grins and almost got in trouble. It split only 1 monitor's view in half, chopping both displayed screens in half while *nothing* appeared on second monitor. Biggest problem was I could no longer see the "apply" button which gave me no way to change it back! Thankfully browsed forums and manually edited proper text files to reset back to default 1 screen. Did I miss a second update setting needed to utilize second monitor, possibly something in one of the pixel resolution fields? I have 2 identical monitors set at 1920 x 1080 with the following final overall goal. May take me a little while (and more browsing!) to get it programmed, but first step is finding out why second monitor is blank. Anyway:

Main cockpit display on left monitor
        Top half of right monitor = external camera view
        Bottom half of right monitor divided into thirds, with following layout - - LMFCD (which I'm assuming is same thing as DDI on FA-18?) + AMPCD + RMFCD

Might even get froggy and calculate in some small black border spaces around each, but that would be later.

Any tips greatly appreciated!

~Vol
        I ran into this and am stuck! I have all 3 monitors on 1 and can not get to the apply button to return to 1 monitor, so right now I'm screwed without help.
        I sent in a help ticket, they gave me a list of links to check, this was one. I'm clueless when it comes to coding, I keep seeing mention, as in this thread, of changing the monitor size, or adding code to a file.

I've got a 40" smart TV as my main set at 1920x1080, my left and right monitor size is 980x760.

When I attempted to adjust the settings to LMFCD+CAMERA+RMFCD the left & right MFCD's overlaid the left & right 1/3 of the screen.
        Any help would be much appreciated.

Comment

Did you try the solution from the posters above about setting the overall resolution on the main video settings page to match? You'll probably still have to edit LUA file manually to force what you want to be where on each monitor. A little extra pixel math will be required since all monitors aren't identical size / resolution, but I found it helps to sketch all 3 monitors on a sheet of paper and label the x,y coordinates of the 4 corners on each. I can do that for you, but it would be more helpful if you tried it first yourself to start getting a feel how the pixel math works. For starters you should make your MAIN overall resolution setting as 3880 x 1060 and then 3.6604 should auto-calculate as aspect ratio. That will at least define the complete screen size in the software, although the 2 side monitors will have dead space since they are smaller in height.

One other tip I found which was completely by accident. Once the game loads with everything split across a single monitor, take your mouse and randomly click anywhere on one of the other monitors & screen adjusts. No idea why, but it worked for me . . . . . after entering that top level pixel definition for the whole setup. All that gobbledy gook make sense?

~Vol
          HOMEBREW RIG:
          MSI MPG x570 Gaming Edge Mobo, Ryzen 7 3.9 GHz octo-core, 32 GB RAM, GeForce 1660 Ti, 512 GB Rocket NVMe SSD, 4 TB HDD, Oculus Quest 128 GB, Warthog HOTAS (finally!!)

MODULES: F/A-18 Hornet, Persian Gulf Map

Comment

DCS does not support multi-monitor in the sense that it will address different images to different displays. The "Monitors" DCS option chooses how the single image from the sim will render on a single display. The only way to get DCS to span multiple monitors is to render the sim into a window which spans multiple displays or use software like Eyefinity/Surround to combine multiple monitors into a single logical display.

Because your two displays aren't equal sizes the nVidia/AMD solutions won't handle your situation well. There are programs that make a virtual display and then "cut and paste" from that rectangle to various displays in a custom way. I don't know of any that work for 64bit programs like DCS. Otherwise you can try making a custom .lua for your particular layout and then running the sim windowed such that the right parts of the window are on the right monitors.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf 37 View Post

I ran into this and am stuck! I have all 3 monitors on 1 and can not get to the apply button to return to 1 monitor, so right now I'm screwed without help.
              I sent in a help ticket, they gave me a list of links to check, this was one. I'm clueless when it comes to coding, I keep seeing mention, as in this thread, of changing the monitor size, or adding code to a file.

I've got a 40" smart TV as my main set at 1920x1080, my left and right monitor size is 980x760.

When I attempted to adjust the settings to LMFCD+CAMERA+RMFCD the left & right MFCD's overlaid the left & right 1/3 of the screen.
              There's 2 ways to do this :
              1. Read enough resources to learn how to do it.
              2. Pair up with someone that can make a monitor Lua with you.
              Check out my DCS VoiceAttack Profiles
              Check out my Mods and Utilities on ED User Files

Comment

If you go into your windows "Saved Games" folder, then "DCS", then "Config" folder, there should be a file called "Options.lua", you can rename that to "options.old" and when you start DCS it should be at default settings.

Comment

I've made you a couple of monitor config lua files. Please don't assume I'm insulting your intelligence in anything posted below, it's written to be as simple to follow as I can make it.

DCS likes your main Windows monitor to be on the left of any setup. It is also better to have as small a total resolution as possible, I'll explain as we go on.

Your main Windows monitor is the one with the start button when your on your desktop. I'm assuming you'd like your TV to be your main monitor.

Right click on your desktop and select Display settings

Click image for larger version

Name:	settings.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	7148184

..................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

So currently I assume your displays are set like this, with your TV being monitor 1 and your smaller screens as 2 and 3. This also copies how you physically have them on your desk. The numbers may be different depending on how you plugged them into your graphics card, you can click the identify button and large numbers should be displayed on each monitor.

Name:	display 1.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	7148185

......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
                  Your main display will have this check box ticked.

You must also have "Extend desktop to this display" selected on all 3 monitors

Name:	main display.jpg
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	7148186

............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

In order to avoid problems with DCS, we need to re-arrange your displays in Windows, you don't have to physically move them, I'm assuming you don't use those small screens for anything else anyway. This only really effects where the mouse pointer goes from one screen to the next when you're on your desktop.

You have 2 options here

Option 1, set the displays to be side by side. Make sure the bottom edge is aligned. I have mine set like this as I use my monitor "3" for other things as it is a 24" 1080p display.

Simply click and hold your left mouse button on a display and drag it to the desired position, for the lua file to work properly, set your left small screen in position3 as shown here, the number may be different, but as long as the position is correct that is good.

If you use this configuration, your total resolution will be 3880x1080 (total pixels 4,190,400)
                  Aspect ratio
                  The green box shows how the resolution is calculated for DCS

OPTION 1 LUA FILE ----> Option_1.lua

Name:	sideby.jpg
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	7148190
                  ..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Option 2, set your small displays to be under your main display, make sure they are aligned on the left hand side.

If you use this configuration, your total resolution will be 1960x1840 (total pixels 3,606,400) (584,000 less pixels than config 1, which is better)
                  Aspect ratio

OPTION 2 LUA FILE ----> Option_2.lua

Name:	under.jpg
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	7148189
                  ...........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

I've made the MFDs to be Square so the don't look distorted and aligned to the edge closest to your TV.

So select which option you prefer and copy the file into

Saved Games
                  DCS
                  Config
                  Monitorsetup

Then open DCS and go to the settings menu, the resolution and aspect ratio can be typed into the box. The monitors file should be selected from the drop down menu

Name:	DCSSETTINGS.jpg
Size:	164.3 KB
ID:	7148191

When you start DCS, if it looks like this, just left mouse outside of your main screen and the screen will adjust, it's weird, I just live with it.

Name:	open.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	311.8 KB
ID:	7148192

Hope that works
                  Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                  X