Very low fps in VR

mg20101

Hi, I played the game at the same resolution and at the same level of graphics settings with both the VR 4k headset and the 4k monitor. On the monitor the game reaches 120 fps while on the VR headset it barely reaches 45. Why is there this difference in performance between VR and the monitor at the same resolution? I use an i7 8700k processor and an RTX 3090 graphics card.

In short - because in VR, for stereo rendering and depth perception the game must display two similar, but still slightly different 4K frames (compared to one on flat screen), pretty much doubling the work that CPU and GPU have to do.

• Like 1

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

• ED Team

Hi

Which headset are you using?

if it uses steam vr what is the steam vr resolution set to? If it is much higher than your native resolution it will affect frame rate.

what is your dcs settings in vr, if you have them maxed in vr you will have problems.

• Like 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• ED Team
Because of the poor optimization of DCS. DCS only runs one CPU core for sim. The DCS engine is too outdated.

DCS was here long before VR and we have added VR after the fact, we are working on improvements, but until we can test vulkan we will not know if it will help or not.

• Like 3

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Hi

Which headset are you using?

if it uses steam vr what is the steam vr resolution set to? If it is much higher than your native resolution it will affect frame rate.

what is your dcs settings in vr, if you have them maxed in vr you will have problems.

I use HP Reverb G1. My Steam VR resolution is set to 100%.

In short - because in VR, for stereo rendering and depth perception the game must display two similar, but still slightly different 4K frames (compared to one on flat screen), pretty much doubling the work that CPU and GPU have to do.

This is probably the main reason for the low performance in VR.

• ED Team

Thanks for your reply. Maybe I am too emotional. As a DCS gamer for 5 years I have so many expectation on that sim, although she is not perfect, I have never consider to give it up.

thanks for sticking with us, I am hopeful for vulkan, the amount of work going into to it is huge and the team are working hard. Fingers crossed for positive test results when we get to it.

thanks

Hi, I played the game at the same resolution and at the same level of graphics settings with both the VR 4k headset and the 4k monitor. On the monitor the game reaches 120 fps while on the VR headset it barely reaches 45. Why is there this difference in performance between VR and the monitor at the same resolution? I use an i7 8700k processor and an RTX 3090 graphics card.

Resolution and supersampling do matter, but not as much as you think (maybe). I play at 300% supersampling (also with reverb) with a 3080. I think you can easily crank up your supersampling , because right now at 100% your CPU is most likely the bottleneck

So if you're aiming for 90 fps, i'm pretty sure you can forget all about that.

But at least you can crank up the visuals, and still be at 45 fps .

And you should definitely overclock the living crap out of that 8700k if you haven't already.

• Like 1

Resolution and supersampling do matter, but not as much as you think (maybe). I play at 300% supersampling (also with reverb) with a 3080. I think you can easily crank up your supersampling , because right now at 100% your CPU is most likely the bottleneck

And you should definitely overclock the living crap out of that 8700k if you haven't already.

Do you have reprojection ON or OFF in SteamVR?

• Like 1

Digital Storm Lynx: i9-10850k (5.2 GHz): 64GB RAM (3200 MHz): 2TB SSD M.2 Samsung 970 EVO: 2TB Samsung HD: GEFORCE 2080 TI: Thrust Master WartHog (modified): TM F-18C joystick: Saitek Rudder Pedals: HP Reverb PRO: Volair Sim Cockpit: Current Stable Version of DCS :thumbup:

IRL Retired Maintainer of the AT-38B: F-4E/G: F-15A/B/C/D: and McDonnell Douglas/Boeing Technical Advisor for the F-15C/D. I drive trains now. :yawn:

I set the VR headset from 90 Hz to 60 Hz. I manage to run the game smoothly at maximum settings like this.

• Like 1