New Kneeboard display/control functions are outstanding

streakeagle

The ability to move, resize, flip pages, and bookmark important pages in the kneepad while displayed in-game are a big deal to me. This capability is useful in every single flyable aircraft, which makes it a significant upgrade. This functionality should have been there all along, but the transition from what we had for years makes it a big deal game-changer. Combine this with the VAICOM kneeboard and you nearly have perfection. I will enjoy this upgrade every time I play DCS World. Thank you ED DCS World developers for squeezing this into your busy schedule!

• Like 7

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• ED Team

Thanks for the feedback, I will be putting a report together for the team soon with feature requests for the future.

We do have a problem with some multi monitor setups and we should have a fix in the next open beta update.

thanks

• Like 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

So is there some magic trick to getting this to work? Because my kneeboard is still uselessly docked to the bottom-right, half off my main monitor, with no way to move or resize it. No clickable buttons or anything different?

It doesn't have a blue border around it now? And the close X in the top right?

If it does you have to hold the left mouse near the top of the kneeboard (like you would to move any window) and drag.

I have no idea if this is only in open.beta at the moment.

kneeboard.thumb.jpg.88399b7f1a3ec9c10f26840a53e73ad8.jpg

Are there keyboard shortcuts for these three functions : pin, back page pinned, next page pinned.

If not, how can we find the names of these functions to create the shortcuts ?

Yes, and in the Hornet you've actually been able to create a 'shortcut page' and cycle through them for many many months now. With the standard cycling through pages, standard [ and ] keys to cycle.

Go to Hornet SIM category, then kneeboard sub category, look for the three options labeled shortcut, previous shortcut, next shortcut. You can then cycle between them without using the mouse.

Cheers,

Ziptie

• Like 1

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

"Bookmarks" (or "shortcuts") were possible previously, I just can't remember in which module I used this. Haven't checked the new kneeboard, though.

Anyways... just a quick idea for an easy to do (probably) and helpful improvement: instead of "create shortcut/bookmark", make it "toggle shortcut/bookmark" - click, the page is bookmarked now, click, it's no longer bookmarked.

Why? Some people have a mixture of their own pages in the kneeboard and pages made by a mission creator, and on top of that all the airfiled specific pages that come with Caucasus. In total, you may have a lot of them. As the mission progresses (especially a complex one) you may no longer need your "early" bookmarks, but want to create a few new ones. It all boils down not to having too many bookmarked pages at a time, so it doesn't take long to browse through all of them.

Of course, even without toggle, bookmarks/shortcuts are very helpful - sure thing! It's just a small idea.

i7-8700K 32GB 2060(6GB) 27"@1080p TM Hawg HOTAS TPR TIR5 SD-XL 2xSD+ HC Bravo button/pot box

Possibly being dim here, but is there any documentation for the new kneeboard system? How do you configure it's location etc? Not seen anything in patch notes or on the forum.

For me it's still nackered on mutlimonitor, are there new config lines for the monitor config required?

could be great to have scratchpad in the new Kneepad to write notes

I use the scratchpad mod, not sure if it works without VR - but I don't see why it wouldn't. Best part about that, is that it saves everything that you've entered - so there are coordinates that I entered over a year ago, literally, that are still present when I RCtrl+RShift+X to open the scratchpad. It's a massive tool to have at your disposal. It also has a function, where if coordinates are displayed (like when a JTAC nine line is given), you can press the icon on the scratchpad and it automatically copies it all over). It also works in F10 map view, which can be exceptionally handy. I'd highly recommend it.

Cheers,

Ziptie

• Like 1

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

Possibly being dim here, but is there any documentation for the new kneeboard system? How do you configure it's location etc? Not seen anything in patch notes or on the forum.

For me it's still nackered on mutlimonitor, are there new config lines for the monitor config required?

Don't know about multi monitor, as I use VR - but for me you just click the border of the kneeboard to move it and/or adjust the size of it. I don't know how things work in the 2d world for DCS though, so I suppose there could be a difference in functionality.

Cheers,

Ziptie

• 2 years later...
On 11/22/2020 at 10:18 PM, Ziptie said:

Yes, and in the Hornet you've actually been able to create a 'shortcut page' and cycle through them for many many months now. With the standard cycling through pages, standard [ and ] keys to cycle.

Go to Hornet SIM category, then kneeboard sub category, look for the three options labeled shortcut, previous shortcut, next shortcut. You can then cycle between them without using the mouse.

Cheers,

Ziptie

This is true in all my mods EXCEPT the A10 and Huey. For some reason these mods don’t have shortcuts available. Astonishing 

• 1 month later...
On 11/23/2020 at 6:01 PM, Ziptie said:

I use the scratchpad mod, not sure if it works without VR - but I don't see why it wouldn't. Best part about that, is that it saves everything that you've entered - so there are coordinates that I entered over a year ago, literally, that are still present when I RCtrl+RShift+X to open the scratchpad. It's a massive tool to have at your disposal. It also has a function, where if coordinates are displayed (like when a JTAC nine line is given), you can press the icon on the scratchpad and it automatically copies it all over). It also works in F10 map view, which can be exceptionally handy. I'd highly recommend it.

Cheers,

Ziptie

This is the way. (It works fantastic in VR btw) I believe he's working on more features for it too. 

On 12/16/2022 at 6:53 AM, slo_mo said:

This is true in all my mods EXCEPT the A10 and Huey. For some reason these mods don’t have shortcuts available. Astonishing 

iirc shortcuts work it's just the keybinds for them aren't added to the stock input configs. i added keybinds for them to the a-10, search for kneeboard: https://github.com/Munkwolf/dcs-community-keybinds/blob/main/InputCommands/A-10C_2/Input/A-10C_2/joystick/default.lua (that file is formatted for use with quaggles input injector mod)

didnt realize the huey doesn't have them. keybinds project has some way overdue updates i will be starting on soon-ish, will add huey kneeboard to my list of things to look at.

• Like 1