New Kneeboard display/control functions are outstanding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Kneeboard display/control functions are outstanding

The ability to move, resize, flip pages, and bookmark important pages in the kneepad while displayed in-game are a big deal to me. This capability is useful in every single flyable aircraft, which makes it a significant upgrade. This functionality should have been there all along, but the transition from what we had for years makes it a big deal game-changer. Combine this with the VAICOM kneeboard and you nearly have perfection. I will enjoy this upgrade every time I play DCS World. Thank you ED DCS World developers for squeezing this into your busy schedule!
    sigpic

So is there some magic trick to getting this to work? Because my kneeboard is still uselessly docked to the bottom-right, half off my main monitor, with no way to move or resize it. No clickable buttons or anything different?

Comment

are you in multi monitor configuration? or in 4k? look into bug section ED is working on a fix but you have workarounds available.
      https://forums.eagle.ru/forum/englis...size-kneeboard
      sigpic
      Easy Monitor Configurator
      My A-10C Cockpit

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, I will be putting a report together for the team soon with feature requests for the future.

We do have a problem with some multi monitor setups and we should have a fix in the next open beta update.

thanks

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Comment

Are there keyboard shortcuts for these three functions : pin, back page pinned, next page pinned.

If not, how can we find the names of these functions to create the shortcuts ?

Comment

Originally posted by Loophole View Post
            So is there some magic trick to getting this to work? Because my kneeboard is still uselessly docked to the bottom-right, half off my main monitor, with no way to move or resize it. No clickable buttons or anything different?
            It doesn't have a blue border around it now? And the close X in the top right?

If it does you have to hold the left mouse near the top of the kneeboard (like you would to move any window) and drag.

I have no idea if this is only in open.beta at the moment.

Click image for larger version

Name:	kneeboard.jpg
Views:	544
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	7149579

Comment

Originally posted by Tanuki44 View Post
              Are there keyboard shortcuts for these three functions : pin, back page pinned, next page pinned.

If not, how can we find the names of these functions to create the shortcuts ?
              Yes, and in the Hornet you've actually been able to create a 'shortcut page' and cycle through them for many many months now. With the standard cycling through pages, standard [ and ] keys to cycle.

Go to Hornet SIM category, then kneeboard sub category, look for the three options labeled shortcut, previous shortcut, next shortcut. You can then cycle between them without using the mouse.

Cheers,

Ziptie
              i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x400 gig SSD drives (one soley for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

Comment

Thank you, I found this here (but I don't have the Hornet) :

https://forums.eagle.ru/forum/englis...oard-shortcuts

but nothing concerning the shortcuts of the new functions 'pin', 'next pinned', 'previous pinned' ... I put on my glasses though

Comment

"Bookmarks" (or "shortcuts") were possible previously, I just can't remember in which module I used this. Haven't checked the new kneeboard, though.

Anyways... just a quick idea for an easy to do (probably) and helpful improvement: instead of "create shortcut/bookmark", make it "toggle shortcut/bookmark" - click, the page is bookmarked now, click, it's no longer bookmarked.

Why? Some people have a mixture of their own pages in the kneeboard and pages made by a mission creator, and on top of that all the airfiled specific pages that come with Caucasus. In total, you may have a lot of them. As the mission progresses (especially a complex one) you may no longer need your "early" bookmarks, but want to create a few new ones. It all boils down not to having too many bookmarked pages at a time, so it doesn't take long to browse through all of them.
                  Of course, even without toggle, bookmarks/shortcuts are very helpful - sure thing! It's just a small idea.

Comment

Possibly being dim here, but is there any documentation for the new kneeboard system? How do you configure it's location etc? Not seen anything in patch notes or on the forum.

For me it's still nackered on mutlimonitor, are there new config lines for the monitor config required?

Comment

could be great to have scratchpad in the new Kneepad to write notes
                      sigpic
                      Easy Monitor Configurator
                      My A-10C Cockpit

Comment

Originally posted by icemaker View Post
                        could be great to have scratchpad in the new Kneepad to write notes
                        I use the scratchpad mod, not sure if it works without VR - but I don't see why it wouldn't. Best part about that, is that it saves everything that you've entered - so there are coordinates that I entered over a year ago, literally, that are still present when I RCtrl+RShift+X to open the scratchpad. It's a massive tool to have at your disposal. It also has a function, where if coordinates are displayed (like when a JTAC nine line is given), you can press the icon on the scratchpad and it automatically copies it all over). It also works in F10 map view, which can be exceptionally handy. I'd highly recommend it.

Cheers,

Ziptie
                        i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x400 gig SSD drives (one soley for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

Comment

Originally posted by rexehuk View Post
                          Possibly being dim here, but is there any documentation for the new kneeboard system? How do you configure it's location etc? Not seen anything in patch notes or on the forum.

For me it's still nackered on mutlimonitor, are there new config lines for the monitor config required?
                          Don't know about multi monitor, as I use VR - but for me you just click the border of the kneeboard to move it and/or adjust the size of it. I don't know how things work in the 2d world for DCS though, so I suppose there could be a difference in functionality.

Cheers,

Ziptie

Comment

Awesome to see the kneeboard see some love finally.

Taking the opportunity to shamelessly highjack and bring attention to my kneeboard wishlist (persistent shortcuts mostly for now) Will update that thread next few days i think (sorting pages by topic via utilizing folder structure, reordering and the like).
                            Would also be cool to have same function like in graphics programs for example where you shift or ctrl+drag the edge to keep aspect ratio while resizing.

Keep it coming, this is just great and a quality of life update!
                            This here could be a signature picture. Could.

Hardware: MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX | Ryzen 5 3600X (6*3.8 Ghz) | 16 GB RAM | MSI Radeon RX5700 | Samsung SSD 860 QVO 1TB | Win 10 (64-bit)
                            TM Warthog HOTAS, MFD and rudder pedals

Wishlist: Northern Germany/Baltic Sea theater | DCS level Su-25A or SM | CH-53 variant (preferably MH-53 Pave Low)

Comment

Agree, the new kneeboard is really usefull now.

Comment

Working...
                              X