Can we get troops actually sitting in the Huey?

The_Pharoah

DCS is make believe. Yes I know. But there's nothing worse than having to pretend to see troops in your huey and instead rely on a notification. Can we get this added to the game? Even if its a fake set of soldiers just standing in the huey - its better than an empty seating area.

AMD AM4 Ryzen7 3700X 3.6ghz/MSI AM4 ATX MAG X570 Tomahawk DDR4/32GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600mhz/1TB 970 Evo SSD/ASUS RTX2070 8gb Super

Yes a lot of work needs done on the meat between the sandwich. Should be easy enough! Also the lack of ground assets and even the troops movement animation is from the 80's. I'm a real life fixed wing pilot and a plane owner, and DCS is better than anything out there for flight model. It just needs more work on the little things.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

can`t see this or any of the other much needed updates/upgrades ever happening unless there is a paid for upgrade , this is a 8+ year old model it makes little commercial sense to spend dev time and ed money on it unfortunately

I am afraid will see these upgrades (including the ones offered on the original model, like multi crew) on a Paid version II in the near Future

We need to wait that the character animation/model features that were created for Super Carrier comes out first for airbases as well (it is coming). This as well requires a new infantry modeling than just standing.

Basic three stances:

- Stand

- Kneeled

- Crouched

Basic movement:

- Walk (patrol, wander)

- Move (Little faster pace than walking)

- Run (maximum speed for long distances)

- Sprint (maximum speed for short distances)

- Advance (character use proper speed and stance, with proper pauses to scan area and cover others)

The extra animations required:

- Dig in with a shovel (to start digging a small fox hole for one or two soldiers. Requires a terrain engine support a placement of 2-4 different fox holes in ground on proper times)

- Climb Out from Fox Hole.

- Mount on the vehicle (just move the character next to vehicle door and have some kind animation for "stepping in" by grabbing sides of the door.

- Unmount of the vehicle (Just jump out with weapon in one hand or at back)

- Swim (to pass over rivers, come out from boats etc)

The Special animations required:

- Each module developer will implement a character to each seat and have few basic animations done for it like looking down, forward, turning head around and sometimes leaning little forward etc. Nothing fancy.

- Each module developer will be responsible to make the mounting/unmounting positions for their vehicles so infantry enters/exists vehicle from proper door. This would be using the dynamic vehicle position that is required for airfields:

The animations IMHO doesn't need to be anything special. Even a very rough ones are enough like in Operation Flashpoint from 2001.

Here is example from it, how infantry mounts and unmounts by the command, and how it looks inside.

The characters just teleports after stepping in from door (wrongly aligned in the animation/model, but viewer will get the point).

When the characters comes out, they appear on the doorway and jump out and then scatter front of it (what should be automatic to have them form a combat formation if in RED alert status, otherwise form a line to further away if at airport/field etc.

e8176f7aef9747d3581cb6401fe964b8.thumb.jpg.af393da6e1e8522cb82a5dae23bdce63.jpg

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Fri I think you're onto something in terms of additional ground units. And I have some of my own additions to your list.

I think it would add a great deal to the mission creating realm to get more, higher fidelity infantry models. such as;

- Standard frontline infantry

- Special forces style "operators"

- Rear echelon "slung rifle" type soldiers for guys in the rear or around logistics convoys, artillery batteries etc.

- A variety of eras and terrain types represented, vietnam/cold war, early 2000's, modern day, woodland and desert, snow etc.

Also, a greater variety of models we can use to increase the realism and immersion of scenarios in the mission editor. Resupply, extraction or CAS missions would be so much more engaging if we had things like;

- Infantry that can crouch, and go prone etc. Infantry that will fire and move, by going prone, firing a few shots and then bounding forwards a few metres and beginning again, as infantry attacking a position would do.

- When exiting the helicopter, the huey for example, the soldiers appear prone, on both sides of the helicopter suitably spread out, rather than the conga line effect we currently have.

- Things like stretcher bearers or infantrymen carrying a wounded comrade would add a great amount of immersion to medevac or SAR missions. This wouldn't have to be one model carrying another, just a model of a stretcher team would be great.

- I'm not sure how feasible it would be to make infantry dig in, but certainly having models of infantry in foxholes, trench systems, machine gun nests, shell scrapes etc would increase the potential missions for all ground attack modules, not just our rotary wing community, far more realistic and varied.

- Some form on natural movement/fidgeting for those models being watched through imaging systems such as that on the Ka-50 and Gazelle.

For me these things would be higher up the ladder in terms of immersion than seeing the troops in the back, but that also would be great, especially if there were variations for carrying troops, extracting wounded/stretchers and that sort of thing. The potential is enormous, but the question would be whether the cost of implementing these things would be worth ED's time. I think the higher fidelity ground units would add far more value to the product for all modules, and would therefore be more worthwhile of EDs time than what's in the back of the Huey. But we can dream!

• Like 1

i7-9700F, 32Gb RAM, RTX 2080 Super, HP Reverb G2.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks guys - yeah even those ARMA/OFP animations would be awesome. DCS I find is also about the little things...thats why we love DCS..ie making all the switches in the cockpit work (or most anyway) so we can properly start/navigate our a/c or helicopters...but then having an empty cargo bay kills it. I wish there was a mod or something out there.

AMD AM4 Ryzen7 3700X 3.6ghz/MSI AM4 ATX MAG X570 Tomahawk DDR4/32GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600mhz/1TB 970 Evo SSD/ASUS RTX2070 8gb Super

• 5 weeks later...

I actually remember the devs mentioning rear crew and deployment was something they were gonna add once skeletal animations had been added. This was ages ago so I'm sure priorities changed. Still would be nice, maybe a Huey 2.0 if it doesn't detract from other projects?

RimOnBlue.png

F/A-18C - A-10C - FC3 - L-39C/ZA - Ka-50 - UH-1H - Mi-8MTV2 - F-86F - Spitfire - P-51D - P-47D - BF-109K - CA