ADF/VHF AM navigation tutorial. (video)

wess24m

great! ;) thanks

L'importante non è stabilire se uno ha paura o meno, è saper convivere con la propria paura e non farsi condizionare dalla stessa. Ecco, il coraggio è questo, altrimenti non è più coraggio ma incoscienza.

What about VOR? Has anyone got that working?

I forgot to include that. Tune your navigation AM radio to the VOR then flip the switch on the top left side of you radio compass indicator to VOR, tune desired course. (make sure the radio is on.)

Edited by wess24m

Thanks wess

Thermaltake View 91, Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra, i9 9900K, Corsair H150i Pro, 32Gb Trident Z 3200, Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 2080ti, Corsair AX1200i, Warthog A-10 Hotas, MFG Crosswind pedals, TiR5 Pro, HP Reverb Pro

Thanks Wess, appreciated bud,

Any more nav instructional stuff would be most welcome,

Cheers,

Mick. :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Keep the faith

AMD PHENOM II X 4 955be @3.2 GHZ | ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO mb | Corsair XMS3-8GB Dual Channel DDR3 Memory | Nvidea GTX 580 GDDR5 GPU | CNPS9900 NT cooler | Corsair HX850W psu | Seagate Barracuda 500GB HD 300 MBps - 7200 rpm | WIN 7 64bit | 32" HD LCD TV | 5.1 surround sound | wireless keyboard and mouse | Saitek x45 hotas.

Is anyone doing the campaign? I was reading the kneeboard and looking at the briefing pictures but the numbers given for beacons didn't work. Are they not NDB freq's?

Lyndiman

AMD Ryzen 3600 / RTX 2070 Super / 32G Ram / Win10 / TrackIR 5 Pro / Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

Is anyone doing the campaign? I was reading the kneeboard and looking at the briefing pictures but the numbers given for beacons didn't work. Are they not NDB freq's?

I've done the first mission and the freq they gave worked.

Thanks Wess, appreciated bud,

Any more nav instructional stuff would be most welcome,

Cheers,

What else would you like to know? UHF has a ADF function but I haven't figured out when you'd like that, possibly to another Huey. Not sure, i'll do some research and make a video.

Anything specific I can probably answer. BTW I made a VOR/ILS nav video as well. it's posted in the forum.

Edited by wess24m

Fantastic, thank you :thumbup:

But be aware of the bug. Only host in MP is receiving singnal from FM navigation :(

I've used the ADF in MP but that was with a NDB. I'll setup a MP mission with FM and have somebody else host it.

What else would you like to know? UHF has a ADF function but I haven't figured out when you'd like that, possibly to another Huey. Not sure, i'll do some research and make a video.

Anything specific I can probably answer. BTW I made a VOR/ILS nav video as well. it's posted in the forum.

Thanks Wess,

I suppose just anything on navigation,as in the best way to implement the homing beacons and how you input the numbers for each waypoint/airfield? :helpsmilie:

I am reading the info supplied in the manual just now so hoping to get up to speed,but it is so much more clearer watching and listening to someone actually doing it right.

Some of the charts and numbers can be a little overpowering at times for my pea sized brain to cope with. :cry:

I will watch your vid a few more times and I suppose all will become clear in time. :thumbup:

Cheers,

AMD PHENOM II X 4 955be @3.2 GHZ | ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO mb | Corsair XMS3-8GB Dual Channel DDR3 Memory | Nvidea GTX 580 GDDR5 GPU | CNPS9900 NT cooler | Corsair HX850W psu | Seagate Barracuda 500GB HD 300 MBps - 7200 rpm | WIN 7 64bit | 32" HD LCD TV | 5.1 surround sound | wireless keyboard and mouse | Saitek x45 hotas.

Thanks Wess,

I suppose just anything on navigation,as in the best way to implement the homing beacons and how you input the numbers for each waypoint/airfield? :helpsmilie:

I am reading the info supplied in the manual just now so hoping to get up to speed,but it is so much more clearer watching and listening to someone actually doing it right.

Some of the charts and numbers can be a little overpowering at times for my pea sized brain to cope with. :cry:

I will watch your vid a few more times and I suppose all will become clear in time. :thumbup:

Cheers,

For the first video you just pick a ground unit (in mission editor) assign a frequency, choose which freq you would like (FM only) then have them transmit in a loop. I'm guessing you can use any sound file you'd like (maybe i'll try a CCR song next time ;)) and then when you fly the mission dial that freq into your fm radio (make sure it's on) and it should go exactly as it did in my video (first one with the troops).

I'll figure out the UHF ADF feature tomorrow. I've included a list of all NDB in that NDB video I posted.

I'll figure out the UHF ADF feature tomorrow. I've included a list of all NDB in that NDB video I posted.

Cheers pal,

I got the NDB list, does anyone have the FM beacons list?

You have to do a little conversion to tune into a TACAN. Look up the TACAN channel, either in the mission planner (although notably NOT in the F10 map), or in the list provided at the back of the A-10 and KA-50 manual. Then google the TACAN channel to VOR frequency conversion, and input the frequency into the NAV radio.

Edit: Or if your referring to ILS stations, rather than VORTACs, then just check the Aerodrome list at the back of the A-10 and KA-50 Manual.

Edited by ScottishMartialArts

How can I listen to the Morse code identifier of NDBs? When I tune to an NDB's frequency, I can here a couple of beeps, but not the whole Morse code. Shouldn't that code repeat over and over?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel Core I7 4820K @4.3 GHz, Asus P9X79 motherboard, 16 GB RAM @ 933 MHz, NVidia GTX 1070 with 8 GB VRAM, Windows 10 Pro

How can I listen to the Morse code identifier of NDBs? When I tune to an NDB's frequency, I can here a couple of beeps, but not the whole Morse code. Shouldn't that code repeat over and over?

It should, and I've noticed the same. When I tuned in my freq that's why I had to glance up at the gauge, normally as you point out, you should get the correct pattern. I wanted to experiment with the loop settings to make sure it wasn't just me. Thanks for bringing this up, with all the new stuff to learn I'd gotten side tracked.

It should, and I've noticed the same. When I tuned in my freq that's why I had to glance up at the gauge, normally as you point out, you should get the correct pattern. I wanted to experiment with the loop settings to make sure it wasn't just me. Thanks for bringing this up, with all the new stuff to learn I'd gotten side tracked.

I was playing with this last night and had the same issue. What I eventually discovered is that you need to turn the LOOP dial away from its central point (left or right, doesn't seem to matter) in order to hear the morse code. However, the ADF needle will NOT track the NDB when the dial is set away from the central position.

Having made this discovery, I did a long cross-country flight where I was alternating between having the LOOP dial away from centre in order to correctly identify the station and then switching back to centre to actually track the NDB.

These are just my discoveries from experimenting, though. I have no way of explaining why what I've discovered works the way it does. :)

i7-7700K @ 4.9Ghz | 16Gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz | MSI Z270 Gaming M7 | MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti Gaming X | Win 10 Home | Thrustmaster Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Oculus Rift S