Thinking about rocket modelling and warheads

Avimimus

Given how important unguided rockets are to the Mi-24's firepower... I was thinking about the modelling of rocket warheads... and areas of effect.

How accurately is the OFP modelled?

It occurs to me that some aircraft can release approximately 160 rockets at once (in theory) and modelling the fragments could require a lot of computing power. But what if more detailed modelling was applied to short bursts of 5-10 rockets... and any rockets after that had a simpler modelling of warhead effects? Is such a compromise duable or desirable?

• Like 1

Widely accepted that the damage model, especially for area-of-effect weapons like rockets, is currently nowhere near accurate or useful. Which makes using aircraft like this in DCS very frustrating - but ED are aware and hopefully this area will be improved '#soon'.

• Like 1

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

20 hours ago, Desert Fox said:

Bump. Is this something that is worked on?

Being able to employ rockets with realistic outcome really is important with the Hind. Flying the Hip a lot lately, which uses rockets a lot like the Hind, is reminding me of how ineffective rockets are right now.

Oh, but schurem says "they work joos' fine sir, joos' fine."   😂🙄

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

21 hours ago, Desert Fox said:

Bump. Is this something that is worked on?

Being able to employ rockets with realistic outcome really is important with the Hind. Flying the Hip a lot lately, which uses rockets a lot like the Hind, is reminding me of how ineffective rockets are right now.

I really hope they do something about the ground unit damage model sooner rather than later. It is more that half the game for me. Some proper ballistics penetration modeling like in Arma 3 would be great.

Mods I use: KA-50 JTAC - Better Fire and Smoke - Unchain Rudder from trim KA50 - Sim FFB for G940 - Beczl Rocket Pods Updated!

Processor: Intel Q6600 @ 3.00GHz

GPU: GeForce MSI RTX 2060 6GB

RAM: Crucial 8GB DDR2

HDD: 1TBGB Crucial SSD

Peripherals: Logitech G940 Hotas, TrackiR 5, Voice Activated commands , Sharkoon 5.1 headset. ,Touch Control for iPad, JoyToKey

All that Dyslecxi video did is remind me how much I hate Arma's idle animations. Whoever did that ''wiping dog crap off his boot'' animation should be aggressively flogged.

Edited by Mars Exulte
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2