Air assault tactics

ResonantCard1

Well, for Hinds, they don't really ever do troop insertions. My understanding is they tried that a bit back in the day as a flying IFV, but it sounded better on paper than in practice. For the Hind, I think it's more common for them to fly empty, or with extra ammunition in the hold.

For the Hip, I can't see their tactics being terribly different from any other transport heli, so if you do generic research on air assault tactics it should provide useful information. Mainly it's gonna be low and fast, as with most helo stuff =)

• Like 1

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

well you cant control how fast the men get out

but if you really wanted, helos are helos. hinds did drop spetznas sometimes

now realistically a SOF insertion almost always should be cold. indeed, Ive read of times in VN that they pullled them immediately back... for SOF missions

either way the VN UH1 method (but use your hip) is prolly the best method. this method is you fly in fast, and do a hard turn to slow and land fast, touch the ground VERY briefly, and gtfo.

Theres variations on this, using corkscrews etc. Id go by this as a good starting point

youll rarely be inserting troops though, but Itd probably be good landing practice anyways and its always important when inserting troops to land and leave quickly you and the troops are very vulnerable at this stage.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 3/5/2021 at 3:06 PM, Relic said:

I think the “through the inferno” mission generator has a Huey troop insertion mission where you land under fire to practice air assault. I’m assuming there’s similar missions for the hip.

And one of the quickest things you'll learn (though I think dcs is a little unfairly hard with the sniper level infantry aa etc) is getting hit almost at all and certainly by more than small arms = death.

The best plan is always to avoid getting hit at all costs. I think there is a misconception that helps sometimes do literal air assaults as in storm say an airfield with the flak and air defense up. I highly doubt irl if air defense is present at all any air assault will be planned.   Definitely with the huey if the LZ is hot it's suicide to press on and land there.  You can be forgiven for taking fire during the landing and being unaware but landing *in the face of fire*? Ugh nope

• Like 1

Screenshot_20210308-204303_Drive.jpg

Here's a scheme showing the coverage scheme for a tactical air assault.

You have a pair of attack aircraft, on each flank you have a pair of attack helicopters plus a pair covering each LZ directly. The protection groups soften up the approaches and the landing area itself, taking out enemy troops and anti-aircraft assets, then the transport fleet lands, deploys troops and leaves under their cover.

Once you start upscaling operations, you can have things like diversionary landings, smoke screens, fighter cover, dedicated air defence suppression, Il-76 doing paradrops and helidrops of artillery and armour, motor rifle units with BTRs deploying in Mi-26 and so on. It all depends on how big of a problem you want to solve.

Edited by Lucas_From_Hell
  • Like 4

On 11/16/2020 at 12:36 AM, ResonantCard1 said:

Hello, in preparation for the module I'd like to practise the troop insertion/air assault tactics employed by the Mi-24 and the Mi-8. Does anyone know where can I learn about them? Or knows anything about them?

Mi-24 assault tactics...Fly towards target, when in range - FIRE EVERYTHING - fly away. 👍 

As stated above, Hind not used for troop insertion, hold full of ammo etc.

Troop insertions under fire in the Hip are a bit of a PITA in DCS as it is very fragile, and a couple of 7.62mm pretty much anywhere will end in disaster. Praying to baby Jesus that the Hind is a lot more 'robust'...

Edited by VampireNZ
  • Like 4

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah sniper infantry sniper tanks, sniper bmps... Russians really take that all far to seriously... 

We seriously need a global option for cheezy 1980's action movie marksmanship. Or perhaps a slider from "terminator" to "A-team".

• Like 2

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

tactic in dcs: survive as long as possible like riding rodeo bull, fire all ammo you got and get shot

• Like 2

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

On 3/9/2021 at 8:10 PM, VampireNZ said:

Mi-24 assault tactics...Fly towards target, when in range - FIRE EVERYTHING - fly away. 👍 

Next 20sec of video show how most players will use Mi-24.

Edited by Apok
  • Like 2