Activation system don't like smartphones with Windows Mobile

some1

...and maybe other devices too.

When connected to the PC in ActiveSync mode (which is default one), a Windows Mobile phone creates a new network adapter, so PC and phone can share their network connections. But this is treated by DCS copy protection system as hardware change, minor but still change. As I have a habit of charging my phone using PC connection rather than external charger, I lost complete DCS activation just because I sometimes played the game with phone connected, sometimes without it.

Not a big problem to me, I can set the phone to not use ActiveSync but rather work as a standard storage device, but I may not be the only one affected, as people can use different devices that cause simmilar problems. (easy removable USB modems for example)

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Oh damn. That'll be an issue for me too. I usually charge it on my laptop though but ah well, bit annoying to have to restrict myself on which computer I sync up to. :(

This is also why I really really hate "activations" no matter how many they are. In LockOn:FC I somehow managed to burn activations on bluescreens crash to desktops... Not every time they occured but a few times. And I have recently started taking the hobby of overclocking seriously which of course leads to a lot of hardware tinkering, and it would be annoying to have to de-activate software every time AND keep a list of the ones I have to do that operation for.

I so wish DRM people would find a way that is less manhandling on our habits to make their security software function. :(

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Interesting. It forces you reactivate? I have a windows mobile phone also. (windows mobile 6.0). I occasionally use it as a modem because here at university, they block some traffic, so i use my phone to go around it. However I have never had my phone plugged in while trying to launch blackshark... not sure if that helps :\

Nevada map contributer

EDM Modeling tools FAQ:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1418067&postcount=1

Seo libh a chairde is chanadh liom. Líonaigí'n oíche le greann is le spórt. Seo sláinte na gcarad atá imithe uainn. Mar cheo an tsléibhe uaine, iad imithe go deo

EtherealN, as long as you don't start your game while doing hardware changes or havinng your phone connected, and after changes you revert you pc to the state before tuning, I think you're fine. In the F.A.Q. there's a list of things that copy protection system monitors, and how it counts them, cpu or memory clocks are not on the list (but CPU ID and memory amount are). You can also charge your phone in "mass storage device" mode instead of active sync, this way it won't create virtual network adapter.

The thing is that DCS allows some hardware changes before it requests for another activation, so you may not know what's happening until it's too late (like me...). You just plug your phone and start DCS while it's plugged, next day you play without the phone connected, but some other time you connect it again, ooops, 2 minor harwdare changes spotted.

I also have another copy protected program that asks for new activation every time the phone is connected in active sync mode, but as soon as I disconnect the phone, it starts working again.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

This may help. Connect your phone, then right click on "My Network Places" and choose "Properties", select "Advanced>Advanced Settings" (via menu) and make sure that your connection to the internet is at the top of the list. Probably, interface associated with smartphone is at the top, move it lower.

These directions are for XP; if you have Vista, the path to the same settings may be a little different.

Wir sehen uns in Walhalla.

next day you play without the phone connected, but some other time you connect it again, ooops, 2 minor harwdare changes spotted.

ooooooooo. so each time you reconnect/ disconnect it, starforce sees it as adding a new piece of hardware. even though its the same hardware, starforce i guess doesnt check to see if its the same. Thats actually fairly interesting. My recommendation would be to email starforce and tell them the problem. Although I dont know how much of a helpful responce you will get :\

Nevada map contributer

EDM Modeling tools FAQ:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1418067&postcount=1

Seo libh a chairde is chanadh liom. Líonaigí'n oíche le greann is le spórt. Seo sláinte na gcarad atá imithe uainn. Mar cheo an tsléibhe uaine, iad imithe go deo

Some1, I know nothing happens if I don't have it connected. What annoys me is having to guard whether I forgot to unplug this or that peripheral for fear of voiding activations. It's not hard to workaround - just clean up the desk - but it's just extremely annoying.

Similarly, having memory on that list - the one absolutely most easy thing to swap in a computer - is equally annoying and also a potential hazard in overclocking since memory sticks are a lot more difficult to monitor in temperature.

Generally speaking I do not support products that toy with these things, but I made a counscious exception for BS since I knew it was going to be awesome. Hearing that peripherals that are plugged into external ports can set it off is a more serious matter though.

In the end, I can work around one game having such "features", but imagine the absolute quagmire of a computer you would have if you install 10 games over the course of a year, all have this activation stuff, and all have their own custom definitions for what spawns an activation... Only way to not set off an activation somewhere would be to not use the computer. :P

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

ooooooooo. so each time you reconnect/ disconnect it, starforce sees it as adding a new piece of hardware. even though its the same hardware, starforce i guess doesnt check to see if its the same. Thats actually fairly interesting. My recommendation would be to email starforce and tell them the problem. Although I dont know how much of a helpful responce you will get :\

I'm not 100% sure, but I doubt it remembers all configurations it was activated. Change is change, that's my guess.

imagine the absolute quagmire of a computer you would have if you install 10 games over the course of a year, all have this activation stuff, and all have their own custom definitions for what spawns an activation...

That's me actually. :P I've got some games from steam, some bought from direct2drive, some on dvd's which also tie to hardware they're installed, and FSX plus plenty of payware addons, each with different copy protection system (and many with manual activation that requires sending email to product support). Don't want to even think about the day I would need to change PC and reinstall everything... :cry:

ZaltysZ, thanks for the tip.

Edited by some1