ABRIS Flight Plan wind speeds & temps

Volk.

Does anyone know what the wind speed indications are on the ABRIS > Map > FPL page.

If I understand it's the direction the wind is blowing TO (rather than FROM as in the PVI-800) of that leg of the route, but the speed seems odd. It almost seems like it's in KPH x2.

I have noted the temperatures are all over the place on what's a normal 20 - 21 degrees map. In the attachment wind of 22 m/s (~40 knots) is correct, but the ABRIS FPL numbers are almost 22 x 60 seconds x 60 minutes should be ~79kph. The manual doesn't go into what it's supposed to be.

Is it a bug or am I reading it incorrectly?

FPL.thumb.png.46105da98dc2d2298f91683ca9665caf.png

For Black Shark tutorials, visit my channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-LgdvOGP3SSNUGVN95b8Bw

If you put 22m/s as the 10m alt wind speed that forces the 500m wind speed to be ~47m/s. 159km/h divided by 3.6 is 44.1666m/s. Those don't match exactly but it could be DCS and ABRIS are using different smoothing/interpolating math.

Looking into the miz file itself I checked what's going on when the winds are set 100/47 vs 99/47 being the 500m/GND values. So it turns out it's not a display preicision thing. If you set 500m speed at 100 or 99 it results in exactly the same GND value set in the miz file. Also it says "10m" in the UI but in the miz file it's "at ground".

Let's do a few runs to see what's going on.

Wind speed (GND) 0, ABRIS 0

GND 1 500 2 (7.2) ABRIS 8

GND 25 500 53 (190.8) ABRIS 191

GND 50 500 106 (381.6) ABRIS 383

(values are the m/s times 3.6 for km/h)

ABRIS is always using wind speed info from 500m and above for all flight plan altitudes. Above 500m it's using a blend of wind data. ABRIS is never using the wind data from below 500m.

PVI is showing weird values. If I takeoff from Beslan (525m) with winds 10m/21 500m/45 200m/45 I get "30" in the PVI. I don't know how it's getting that middle value and I've tried a bunch in different circumstances. From Beslan I do notice if I set the 2000m wind heading 180 or 000 I get 269/271 on the PVI. So it seems that it's doing some kind of interpolation for that 525m elevation. But speed interpolation makes no sense, if wind is 10m50,500m106 Kutaisi 45m is showing 38 which isn't between 50 and 106. If I lower it to 50/24 speed PVI shows 18. I don't get it.

Taz, honestly I am working on a tut for pointing in the direction you want, understanding spinning and wind right now (kinda diverted off dust & ice for the moment). Just doing some fact checking before editing. Hopefully the vid will help.

From what I understand the PVI800 Wind Di/Sp and ABRIS FPL are pre-captured static data and do not affect the way the Kamov flies - it's only info for you and might have been taken into account for your flight plan speed, ETA and fuel consumption.

I've done some testing after this post and I'm pretty sure the FPL's wind speeds at 33ft + 1600ft are double what they're supposed to be. Even if you changed it to knots/mps. 6600ft and 26000ft (or as close as the Kamov can get somewhere in 21k range) appear correct. So I'll escalate this to a bug once I get my screenshots in order.

Frederf, thanks for the extensive reply. I set a flight plan for the Ka at exactly the mission editor notches of 33ft, 1600ft, 6600ft and 26000ft (or close to that last one) with at least 2 waypoints in each, which the ABRIS can take (think PVI could only handle 6). The last two bands are exactly x3.6 like you say, or exactly right if you go to setup > units and change to m/s or knots. But the initial two bands are exactly double in every unit. The 6600 band is exactly what one would expect and would match the PVI800 value if you air-started/spawned there. The final band looks accurate, but seems to be the blend between 6600ft and 26k ft, closer to 26k, but pretty much accurate.

Also the temps are straightup weird. -263 to 1700 degrees for what's a normal day out 20-21 degrees.

I haven't checked the speeds or ETA times on the flight plan.

I just need to take screen grabs of the video I took of mission editor settings and FPL page. Not sure how to produce a TRK file ED can use for this bug.

I also can't say if the bug goes deeper - I know the PVI isn't affected but does it affect any other subsystems? I don't think cannon moving target lead for example...

For Black Shark tutorials, visit my channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-LgdvOGP3SSNUGVN95b8Bw