DCS Ka-50 Black Shark – Helmet Slew-Locking, Scoping and Sniping ‘n Bendin’ Bullets

Volk.

Next tutorial vid is up...

There's some basics on sniping tactics & weapon use, but mostly it's on how to get more out of the Helmet Mounted Sight than just pointing it near the target then slewing onto it - you can use it for 'live recon' and locking a target just by moving your vision over it.

• Like 2

For Black Shark tutorials, visit my channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-LgdvOGP3SSNUGVN95b8Bw

Next tutorial vid is up...

Watched this video Saturday afternoon. Much appreciated. Your flying skills are absurdly high. Very professional. Do you fly the Liberation Campaign Engine? Can you record a combat mission from start to finish?

HORNET/VIPER/HARRIER/SABRE/FISHBED/FROGFOOT/HOKUM/HIND/JUG/ISHAK

Thanks. Not sure my skills are that noteworthy, but hopefully the tutorial helps you hone your skills.

I haven't messed with the Liberation Campaign Engine yet. Though generally I only make simplistic things in the Mission Editor to test specific behaviour of the Black Shark. I let the experts build missions with all the complex scripting and more realistic military situations.

I might record a flight sometime, although it might also be a case of "do as I say not as I do" as I get lazy & impatient, ignoring my own advice for reconning ahead and taking the longer safer route ;-).

My priority right now is getting out a more tutorials on things I know bug players about the Ka-50 or cool little features I don't think everyone has found.

DIY TrackIR. Not sure my curves are perfect for it either.

It did take some acclimation to do it, and there are certain ranges/zooms where slew-locking with the helmet is going to be too erratic.

Sucks a bit if you can't get it to work on VR...though if you're flat on the ground scanning out flat terrain or treelines ahead, then just slewing left right is about the same. Curves on it would probably make VR feel unnatural right?

DIY TrackIR. Not sure my curves are perfect for it either.

It did take some acclimation to do it, and there are certain ranges/zooms where slew-locking with the helmet is going to be too erratic.

Sucks a bit if you can't get it to work on VR...though if you're flat on the ground scanning out flat terrain or treelines ahead, then just slewing left right is about the same. Curves on it would probably make VR feel unnatural right?

I don't believe there's curves on VR. It's just 1:1. It's like looking through high powered binocular in real life. Difficult to hold it steady unless you fixate onto something like a tripod.

At zoomed out mode in Shkval, it's okay, but in zoom in mode, it shakes too much.

Interesting. I don't have VR, so that's unfortunately not something I can experiment with, but I'll ask around. I might get answers only relevant to a specific VR headset though...

I'd understand if in real life the helo bouncing or balance of the helmet made HMS slew-locking a nightmare...that said there's specifically stuff in the manual about the reticule locking (and not just saying 'standby I'm moving over to your designation).

Either way the recon element should be possible though. With your current settings, maybe use it zoomed out, and if you see something of interest leave Uncage, slew hat over then zoom, and afterwards when zoomed out put the Helmet sight on your HUD's Shkval circle and resume holding uncage - ie. do all the zoomed bits manually.

With TrackIR equivalents there are also ranges where the HMS movement is too shaky.

I think some of getting the most out of the helmet is knowing when it's too shaky and instinctively switching over to slewing once the Skhval is as close as the helmet will bring it.

Below is pretty much what I get on Shkval. Video doesn't show HMS since the VR mirror display captured left eye and HMS was on my right eye.

In the video, I know where targets are already but when I'm looking for targets, I can't make out what I'm looking at with these shaking.

As shown on second part of my video, I only use it for spraying cannon rounds.

So Rober from Polychop did some testing. This is vs. the space-truck Mi26 from 1km.

Also 'shaky'. He was doing these deliberately close at 1km, or really any distance you can visually see the target, where it's almost the size of the HMS's dot, I'd just lock it up by looking at the HUD. It seems like headtracking via TrackIR (or in my case cheap DIY equivalent) is smoother, probably from all them curves. Then again, my clip is really shakily attached via loose velcro at the moment, so not as accurate as it should be either. But I'd definitely have issues locking up something under 2km away using the IT-23. Just with TrackIR the tracking gates your would rapidly zoom/zigzag/circle around the target rather than disappearing and reappearing or teleporting as it were.

There are also times trying to lock up a tank at 8km, where you need to use the Shkval's IT-23 screen and narrow field of view, where there's just going to be too much movement in the helmet and you'll need to get a feel for when it's not working and instinctively release Uncage and manually slew over when the sight's as close as it'll get.

The recon bit (just panning around uncaged) should be viable beyond 7km - which is kinda really what you want - to see them before they see you.

It might be dependent on your specific VR headset if you're getting decent frames. So unfortunately this is not fixing your problem, but saying that it might be less useful for VR, or rather, specifically there are less ranges/zones where it would be stable to use in VR before you switch over the hat-slewing.

Oh my lord, it's not curves, it's just in need of some serious "smoothing" to dampen the shake. Too bad. I'm so on the fence about VR.

What you see is because it's converted to video. It does not shake at all in VR. It's perfectly 1:1 to my head movement. So what you see in that video is actually the micro movement of my head. Just that shake is magnified on Shkval. Imagine attaching telescope to your eye. Without holding with your hand. That's what looking through the Shkval with HMS is like.

And this will be same with any other VR HMD. Vive Pro actually has the best tracking.

It'll be like attaching GoPro camera on your head without any motion stabilization. You'll get same shake.

Edited by Taz1004

Thanks, good to know. I think a gopro on the side of the head would be most accurate, if it's solidly attached without wobble in the mounting. I think on top of the head would get more shake given the actuation distance from the base of the neck, rather than eye level.

I'll hopefully upload another vid in the next week or so actually running a mission. Primarily to show when I use the HMS and when it's too shaky and I just use normal slewing if that helps. Depends on distance, zoom & your craft's motion.