Is it possible to destroy a tank column in a single pass?

martinistripes

I've been doing some testing with various loudouts.

I made columns comprised of alternating Leopard 1A3 MBT and M113 APC, static on the road. 8 units total per column. And then tried to destroy them in single passes. There are 4 separate columns to test the various weapons on running along the road west to east.

After doing a bit of reading on the various cluster sub munitions available in DCS World, I thought some configuration of the PTAB would be the obvious choice.

In DCS, I found all PTAB munitions were mostly ineffective against the MBTs and only moderately effective against the APCs. I later tried FAB 500 and rockets with similar results; very rarely did I get an MBT kill.

I've attached the test mission if anyone wants to try it with a different loadout. If you can kill a column in a single pass share the track and let me know what you used please.

PTAB Test.miz

Edited by martinistripes

Valve Index | RTX 3070 Ti (Mobile) | i7-12700H @ 2.7GHz | 16GB RAM

First one needs to realise that definition of "tank" is very wide as it means any armored vehicle that is tracked and armed (against infantry). So even a M113 is a tank with it's machine gun or PT-76 is a tank with it's 76 mm or 57 mm cannon.

To destroy a tank, it is need to define more clearly what kind a tank there is about question, as is it a IFV, MBT, APC.... And then from what era as WW1, WW2, CW, Latest generation etc.

As you have a definition in form of a mission file, then the strongest armor is in Leopard 1A3 MBT, and that was known as "glass jaw" among MBT. Very agile and fast MBT that had accurate cannon, but just didn't have a armor that would have survived from any impacts really.

fZS5J_LzhyU.jpg

So one can see that armor is only 45-52 mm thick from a roof at best and largest area is only 25 mm thick over engine.

A any bomblet that would impact near it and at it would basically penetrate any armor there is and kill kill the tank very likely, but guaranteed to make mobility kill or damage otherwise badly that it is out of action.

Even a 80 mm mortar fire would be deadly against it, nevertheless a any rocket or bomblet meant to destroy armors.

We just need to wait a proper damage modeling for ground units as currently they enjoy from unrealistic expectations...

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

I managed 8 Leopard 2 kills in a single pass, on 15 stationary units, in 2 columns, with a Mig 21. 11 were hit, but it was back in 2015.

Things might have changed since then.

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..