Twin FAB-500 rack

ResonantCard1

Hi, I've been reading Yefim Gordon's MiG-29 book, and he says the Izdeliye 9.13S (MiG-29S) could carry 2 FAB-500 bombs on MBD3-U2T1 tandem racks. We don't have those in-game. Is the information on the book correct? Could we get them?

Main: MiG-21bis, because pocket rockets are fun

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

• ED Team
Hi, I've been reading Yefim Gordon's MiG-29 book, and he says the Izdeliye 9.13S (MiG-29S) could carry 2 FAB-500 bombs on MBD3-U2T1 tandem racks. We don't have those in-game. Is the information on the book correct? Could we get them?

Yes, the MiG-29 has a tandem rack, but it seems to me that two FAB-500 bombs will not fit there. Look at the photo. Only the one FAB-500 hangs on this rack, there is not enough space for the second one.

83b69dded7bf.jpg

Единственный урок, который можно извлечь из истории, состоит в том, что люди не извлекают из истории никаких уроков. (С) Джордж Бернард Шоу

Yes, the MiG-29 has a tandem rack, but it seems to me that two FAB-500 bombs will not fit there. Look at the photo. Only the one FAB-500 hangs on this rack, there is not enough space for the second one.

83b69dded7bf.jpg

Yeah, saw that same photo on the book. It's listed as carrying FAB-350s. Which certainly put me off as I have never seen anything about a FAB-350. However in the book is also stated that the bomb that can be carried there is the FAB-500M54, so the more blunt one, similar in shape to the FAB-100 we have in game

• ED Translators
Yeah, saw that same photo on the book. It's listed as carrying FAB-350s. Which certainly put me off as I have never seen anything about a FAB-350. However in the book is also stated that the bomb that can be carried there is the FAB-500M54, so the more blunt one, similar in shape to the FAB-100 we have in game

Maybe it was a typo and they mean FAB-250 not FAB-350

AKA LazzySeal

The correct designation for the rack in question is МБДЗ-У2Т-1(makes it easier to find information on it when searching the web).

I found this comprehensive technical description on it;

https://studopedia.su/16_40809_ustanovki-raketno-bombardirovochnogo-vooruzheniya.html

Chapter 3(starting near the bottom of the page).

From what I could make out, the rack can support 2 bombs of 50 - 500 kg. Apparently there are adjustable stops on the rack - one setting for 50 -100 kg bombs and another for 250 - 500 kg ones.

So I wonder if the position of the FAB-500 on the rack in the photo of the MiG-29 may be using the setting for smaller bombs because only as single one is carried(for better load balance).

1554396423_3-2-1.thumb.jpg.ba08a1e8441971f047a459b122261419.jpg

The correct designation for the rack in question is МБДЗ-У2Т-1(makes it easier to find information on it when searching the web).

I found this comprehensive technical description on it;

https://studopedia.su/16_40809_ustanovki-raketno-bombardirovochnogo-vooruzheniya.html

Chapter 3(starting near the bottom of the page).

From what I could make out, the rack can support 2 bombs of 50 - 500 kg. Apparently there are adjustable stops on the rack - one setting for 50 -100 kg bombs and another for 250 - 500 kg ones.

So I wonder if the position of the FAB-500 on the rack in the photo of the MiG-29 may be using the setting for smaller bombs because only as single one is carried(for better load balance).

Very interesting find. Although I still say that the MiG in the picture is using the wrong type of bomb for tandem carry. Compare the M62 (sleek) to the M54 (chubby). They're different shapes, the M54 could probably fit in the rack as it's shorter than the M62

CxZYsVcWIAATzuA.thumb.jpg.117e57f9fb9fbc10192f8b84e2c5ef5f.jpg

am_bmb_m62_v1.jpg.1186aec710cf4f96328fa6e218490043.jpg

Very interesting find. Although I still say that the MiG in the picture is using the wrong type of bomb for tandem carry. Compare the M62 (sleek) to the M54 (chubby). They're different shapes, the M54 could probably fit in the rack as it's shorter than the M62

Ah yes thats a good point - I didn't consider that. That would explain why only a single one is carried on the rack in the photo.

upgraded versions can do stacked bombs... not sure about initial version but I didn't see such a option in the armorer's guide for it.

Qg7gRHQ6S9r-3VnHdyaci3oiciQ8x6CGaxiW-eROZtNdyGo1oVCsj4lkaLtMyW-EOVBmXTt5KvY1HlObbUCzJLlcslXSDkfBoauRxWQ___1IHZvehA

-------

All the people keep asking for capabilities to be modelled.... I want the limitations to be modelled.... limitations make for realistic simulation.

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in the mud, after a bit you realize the pig likes it.

Long time ago in galaxy far far away:

https://www.deviantart.com/alfafox/gallery

• 2 weeks later...