Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[NOT CORRECT FOR YEAR] GBU-54 for Hornet ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eldur View Post
    BAE Systems entered the chat and have something to say.

Then the DSMS for the A-10 is clearly wrong or, which is more likely, it is possible to put a different store type to the inventory on the DTS which makes sense if you might also carry unguided rockets at the same time so the DSMS doesn't pack them together. But it's not mandatory for the system to work at all.
    Interesting video. Indeed, they seem to be completely plug-and-play. After watching that, I'm leaning towards your opinion, that a custom store name was added to the A-10C DSMS, so that the pilot can select the correct store. But as far as the aircraft is concerned, it's 100% the same store as a normal rocket pod.
    The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs
    vCVW-17 Discord: https://discord.gg/QxmUP9X

Z370 Aorus Gaming 7, i7-8700K, RTX2080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4, 960 Pro, 970 Evo Plus, WD Gold 6TB, Seasonic Prime Platinum|
    F/A-18C ,
    AV-8B, JF-17, A-10C, M-2000C, F-16C, F-14, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3

Comment

BAE Systems entered the chat and have something to say.
      maybe they just meant no physical modification to the aircraft or launcher.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X
      GPU: AMD RX 580

Comment

Thankfully I used the SEARCH function before posting !!!

Just one of the Interweb returns:
        https://theaviationgeekclub.com/usmc...f-a-18-hornet/

That looks like a marine hornet to me.

I'm a +1 on the "go on, let us have these toys to play with!" crowd. Other weapons and planes have dissimilar loadouts to the variant / year.

Go on ED - you know it'll be 1 line of code and 30 seconds work

Comment

Originally posted by randomTOTEN View Post
          Kind of funny how users have been very vocal that "APKWS doesn't require any changes to the jet to work!" and yet in the first implementation video released they have a custom weapon name in the DSMS for the A-10.

Seems that a lot of what people think is "strap on" really isn't.
          It doesn't. If you don't know, contact to BAE and ask about it....
          i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.
          i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Comment

Originally posted by dorianR666 View Post
            maybe they just meant no physical modification to the aircraft or launcher.
            No software, no hardware modifications needed or required....

Comment

Originally posted by Swiftwin9s View Post
              I can think of a few other weapons that are [NOT CORRECT FOR YEAR] that we have in dcs anyway.
              Exactly.

And yet we have a Hornets flying in missions that are from future, or are from the history, against enemies that are not anymore in service or use on year Hornet is claimed to model....

Solution is simple.

You add all the weapons to DCS. You stamp them with the fiscal year they were in service for filtering. And you add weapons to all modules that are technically capable use them.
              You make default official weapons loadouts as what has been used by the country for the task.
              And then if players do not use the year/country filter, they get access to all weapons and can make a custom loadouts with them.

Nothing unrealistic is happening more than already now, and actually be more realistic than now argument "this module models year 2005 only".

Comment

Then the DSMS for the A-10 is clearly wrong or, which is more likely, it is possible to put a different store type to the inventory on the DTS which makes sense if you might also carry unguided rockets at the same time so the DSMS doesn't pack them together. But it's not mandatory for the system to work at all.
                I think this is basically correct, although APKWS has some sort of MIL-STD connector that may be used to change laser codes on the fly, for what it would require some sort of minor SW upgrade in the a/c. I guess this operational delta has been given to the Charlies, albeit not being strictly neccesary

Comment

Originally posted by amalahama View Post
                  I think this is basically correct, although APKWS has some sort of MIL-STD connector that may be used to change laser codes on the fly, for what it would require some sort of minor SW upgrade in the a/c.
                  AFAIK the laser code is set using dials on the side of the WGU-59/B body before it is loaded into the launcher.

It may be desirable to upgrade the system software as the WGU-59/B guidance unit adds 9lb (4.1 kg) to the missile's weight i.e. the missile may have a slightly different flight profile than standard and the SMS will need the weight to calculate weight & balance, etc.
                  Last edited by Ramsay; 09-28-2020, 01:33 PM.
                  i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 32GB DDR4, RTX2070 Super 8GB, 1TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 1+1TB SSD, MSFFB2 joystick, X52 Pro Throttle, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Comment

Originally posted by Fri13 View Post
                    Exactly.

And yet we have a Hornets flying in missions that are from future, or are from the history, against enemies that are not anymore in service or use on year Hornet is claimed to model....

Solution is simple.

You add all the weapons to DCS. You stamp them with the fiscal year they were in service for filtering. And you add weapons to all modules that are technically capable use them.
                    You make default official weapons loadouts as what has been used by the country for the task.
                    And then if players do not use the year/country filter, they get access to all weapons and can make a custom loadouts with them.

Nothing unrealistic is happening more than already now, and actually be more realistic than now argument "this module models year 2005 only".

so much +1 for this

Comment

Exactly.

Solution is simple.

+2

Comment

Exactly.

Solution is simple.

+1!
                        Portugal
                        Col. Bruno "Fonzie" F. (on DCS)

sigpic

"About carrier ops: The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.5ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO x56 | SSD´s | Valve Index.

Comment

No, you don't. You don't add all the weapons, and you don't add all the weapons to every plane. Why? Because it puts every plane in a never ending state of development.

Comment

Originally posted by BarTzi View Post
                            No, you don't. You don't add all the weapons, and you don't add all the weapons to every plane. Why? Because it puts every plane in a never ending state of development.
                            Not all of the weapons. Just the ones that are correct for the airframe. Just dependent on mission year.

Nobody talks about getting a Pheonix on the Hornet. No talk down by generalizing please

Comment

Originally posted by BarTzi View Post
                              So, you fly Hornet in missions that is not in year 2005?
                              How about, do you fly Hornet, Warthog or Viper same time?
                              Okay, and you have a what weapons already in the Hornet?

Comment

Originally posted by Andartu View Post
                                Not all of the weapons. Just the ones that are correct for the airframe. Just dependent on mission year.

Nobody talks about getting a Pheonix on the Hornet. No talk down by generalizing please
                                It's not generalizing. You expect any future weapon that is added to DCS to be added to each airframe that could carry it.
                                This puts some modules at a never ending state of development. It doesn't work like that. There's a point in time where you go from developing the code, to maintaining the code and that's it.

Comment

Working...
                                X