APKWS

greenmamba

Sounds cool indeed. But is it realistic?

As you infer , not within our Hornet's time-frame .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

from what i read APKWS has only been implemented on USMC Legacy Hornets starting this year . The USN retired F/A18C from active duty service its only in training and reserve squadrons now. So they arent likely going to get any more upgrades in the form of avionics or newer weapon types like APKWS

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

• 1 year later...
from what i read APKWS has only been implemented on USMC Legacy Hornets starting this year . The USN retired F/A18C from active duty service its only in training and reserve squadrons now. So they arent likely going to get any more upgrades in the form of avionics or newer weapon types like APKWS

Well,many of us fly Marine skins though. And the USMC does not fly "new" legacy Hornets, the fly the old one we have, the old Navy jets. The last new produced C models were delivered in 2000 (iirc).

The last 18C+ model otherwise was delivered in 2015 (iirc).

In the end, the DCS model is a bit of a mix of several years, even when they always say it is a 2005 model. Thats why I see no reason to not have things like APKWS or the GBU-54 for the Hornet in the sim.

Also they will never model certain systems that are still classified and/or could harm real pilots on active duty by being released, even if the know about them. And that is actually very good!

So it will never be 100% realistic.

Just give us stuff to play with, nobody would get harmed and it still would be realistic "enough".

I think actually Legacy Hornets weren't part of the urgent request package to implement them.

Our hornets were the second fixed wing aircraft APKWS was tested and qualified to use in combat operations.

Only difference is that our hornets should have APKWS available for it in missions 2017-2018+ with the Mission Editor year filter, and it disabled then have possibility to equip them at any mission year.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

According to BAE this is a screw-on addition. Set the laser code on the guidance section and slide it into the tube. There's no modification to anything but the missile itself.

If you have a hydra pod and a laser you can use APKWS.

(this was from a different thread):

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

Great stuff. Ok, no APKWS for the F-18...

...but what about the F-5E-III? (sorry, couldn't resist)

I'm honestly pretty ambivalent about this; there's already so many things to drop off the F/A-18s wings already. Whatever needs doing there's probably a way.

If not, there's the A-10. If that can't kill it, on to the MiG-21...

Based to manufacturer representive responsible to APKWS project informations at BAE that I contacted, nothing that is said there is true.

NOTHING WAS CHANGED in the Hornets that were tested.

No new wiring, no software changes, nothing.

I am waiting if I get information from the personnel in the military side, but that is less likely happening.

...but what about the F-5E-III? (sorry, couldn't resist)[/Quote]

Just like manufacturer states, no modifications required, 100% compatible with all previous platforms capable launch non guided rockets.

Here comes just your political problems, would someone allow APKWS to be used on such old airframe without all other upgrades for modern military use where you need datalinks and all to be part of military today? No...

It doesn't remove technical facts that APKWS is usable with it (like with our hornet) without modifications, but it is political restriction for safety and effectiveness and all.

Based to manufacturer representive responsible to APKWS project informations at BAE that I contacted, nothing that is said there is true.

NOTHING WAS CHANGED in the Hornets that were tested.

No new wiring, no software changes, nothing.

I am waiting if I get information from the personnel in the military side, but that is less likely happening.

Can you provide the source for those statements?

No, why I didn't give them as they are private by content.

Fact just is, the manufacturer statement of no requirements for hardware or software changes is true. If you can fire unguided rocket, it is all that is required.

Rest is politics.

Take everything he says with a grain of salt. He also claimed to be in possession of a Tor operator manual.

There is NO WAY a BAE or any other arms manufacturer would have given him ANY of that information to a private citizen without facing serious charges under ITAR.

There is NO WAY a BAE or any other arms manufacturer would have given him ANY of that information to a private citizen without facing serious charges under ITAR.

And yet whilst researching for the APKWS requirement of the application for manual writer for ED (Congrats Stretch! :thumbup:), i came across quite a bit of (freely available) information for the APKWS system, you just need but to be 'quite deep' in your searching . . . .

The APKWS absolutely requires some updates to software and pylons.

Also the APKWS will only fit on a Mk66 motor.

Not true.

If you can fire a rocket, you can fire an APKWS rocket, you can even mix and match.

APKWS requires NO software changes, nor pylon re-wiring.

And it is NOT solely restricted to the Mk66 motor.

The APKWS system is solely the head, which is (literally!) screwed on to a rocket body. BAe are scaling it up (the head) to use larger caliber rocket systems too.

See attachments below.

In the control section attachment, *A is where the fusing attaches, *B is the motor attachment.

*3 are the moveable wings, and *2 are the sensor heads that pick up reflected laser energy.

*1 are the servo's for the moveable wings, and *4 are the processing and control section.

This WHOLE ASSEMBLY can be scaled up or down (slightly) to match any caliber.

APKWS control section.bmp

APKWS head.bmp

Edited by garyscott

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

And yet whilst researching for the APKWS requirement of the application for manual writer for ED (Congrats Stretch! :thumbup:), i came across quite a bit of (freely available) information for the APKWS system, you just need but to be 'quite deep' in your searching . . . .

Not true.

If you can fire a rocket, you can fire an APKWS rocket, you can even mix and match.

APKWS requires NO software changes, nor pylon re-wiring.

And it is NOT solely restricted to the Mk66 motor.

The APKWS system is solely the head, which is (literally!) screwed on to a rocket body. BAe are scaling it up (the head) to use larger caliber rocket systems too.

See attachments below.

In the control section attachment, *A is where the fusing attaches, *B is the motor attachment.

*3 are the moveable wings, and *2 are the sensor heads that pick up reflected laser energy.

*1 are the servo's for the moveable wings, and *4 are the processing and control section.

This WHOLE ASSEMBLY can be scaled up or down (slightly) to match any caliber.

The Head and Motor remain the same.

APWKS is a Mid-Body Guidance Insert.

The Head screws on the front, the motor on the back.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

The Head and Motor remain the same.

APWKS is a Mid-Body Guidance Insert.

The Head screws on the front, the motor on the back.

As I said, which is the control section attachment that I . . well . . . attached.

And the motor is not only going to be restricted to the Mk66 motor. The system IS scaleable.

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

Umm, You literally just said the APKWS was soley the head.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Take everything he says with a grain of salt. He also claimed to be in possession of a Tor operator manual.

Why are you assuming his source is the manufacturer? Could have been a person in uniform that just gave an opinion, of a non-classified test, that occured which he either heard of or participated in?

Why are you assuming that a company sales rep didn't have a conversation with him? Or that it wasn't from open source publication, which happens ALL THE TIME.

Just because it's unlikely, doesn't mean it's impossible. The world and it's history are FILLED with improbable events.

As for a TOR operator manual... why not? It's a book. Sure, maybe ITAR wouldn't want those transfered anywhere. But to the average Russian, "Is just book!" And frankly 99.9957 % of the world's population couldn't give one gram of concern over a SAM manual of any kind. I mean, it's not like he's buying an actual TOR.

I'm more concerned at leveling an accusation at a fellow forum member, TBH.

Umm, You literally just said the APKWS was soley the head.

Habit. :doh:

Always used to refer to guidance/control sections as the head, i.e- brain. :surrender:

Correct terminology, the mid section. :laugh: