DCS: F/A-18C THE SERPENT'S HEAD 2 CAMPAIGN

The Serpent’s Head 2 Campaign is a 10 Mission Campaign for the DCS: F/A-18C Hornet. It is provided in two optional forms. The first the standard Campaign and the second incorporating “Simplified Air to Air Refuelling”, for those of us who have not yet mastered the dark art of capturing and staying with the basket.

This Campaign comprises the next chapter of the previous 6 Mission “Serpent’s Head” Campaign already released and still available in the DCS user files.

As before it is a story-based Campaign following the exploits of “Ford”. He is currently still posted on the USS John C Stennis, the heart of the Task Force. In the last Campaign they had been sent to the Black sea to address a regional conflict. This, the Task Force had successfully resolved and they are now off the Georgian coast on a “Political Watching Brief” awaiting orders to head home.

In this new Campaign Ford’s flying skills and effective operation of the Hornets weapons will be tested even further.

The Campaign ethos, as before, is not to capture reality but create an imaginative, enjoyable and engaging set of missions linked together with a plot narrative.

It has been designed with VR in mind by controlling resources and including F10 menu items allowing coordinates given over the radio to be recalled back on screen.

It includes hundreds of voice actor files. For these many thanks to “Reflected”, “@Alexander_Dex” and “Cdr “Curveball” Krotchety”.

Included are PDF briefs for each mission which should be read prior.

“Even as Fords thoughts are homeward bound things are about to change in a way even he could not have anticipated.”

Available from : https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/products/campaigns/fa-18c_serpents_head_2_campaign/

Edited by Glyn

F/A-18C Campaigns : The Serpent’s Head / The Serpent’s Head 2

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5.0Ghz / Gigabyte 2080ti water force extreme / 32 Gb RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600 / 2Tb Samsung 970 Evoplus NVMe M.2 / Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas / Thrustmaster Pedals / Valve Index.

In mission 3 (ground support for London). Obviously the two SA8's can be dealt with using the HARM's, after adding the CoOrds supplied for the artillery via the HSI (not precise mode) I'm assuming I shoud be using the IR's MAVs. So I set WP11 (seemed free) using the supplied CoOrds, yet the the MAV's never lock when using WPDSG. Running the current OB. Is this an issue with the OB and IR Mavs generally or am I missing something more obvious? Without a TPOD seeing anything useful in the MAV seeker display to slew to is nigh on impossible even at 7 miles out and 15K FT.

Rgards,

Z

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

Question on 1st mission (spoilers)

The first time I tried this a couple of SU-25's spawned after 2-3 minutes circling north of the air show. The 2nd time I circled around for over 10 minutes, never exceeding 3 miles from WP6 and never going south of the waypoint and nothing ever spawned. I exited as I guessed a trigger failed someplace but now I'm wondering if the spawning is random and maybe no attack will happen?

In mission 3 (ground support for London). Obviously the two SA8's can be dealt with using the HARM's, after adding the CoOrds supplied for the artillery via the HSI (not precise mode) I'm assuming I shoud be using the IR's MAVs. So I set WP11 (seemed free) using the supplied CoOrds, yet the the MAV's never lock when using WPDSG. Running the current OB. Is this an issue with the OB and IR Mavs generally or am I missing something more obvious? Without a TPOD seeing anything useful in the MAV seeker display to slew to is nigh on impossible even at 7 miles out and 15K FT.

Rgards,

Z

Once you have taken out the SA8,s remember you can get in as close as you like. You will not be able to use the coords as they were rough coords just to locate London. You need to identify the artillery roughly looking for the smoke as they fire then place the Mav's triangle in the hud on them and locate them with the Mav screen and lock them up. It can be done. I have a feeling that in recent updates, certainly in vr , (I use the index) the Mav screen has become very dark. I will try this out myself. Are you using vr?

I9 9900K @ 5.0Ghz / Gigabyte 2080ti water force extreme / 32 Gb RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600 / 2Tb Samsung 970 Evoplus NVMe M.2 / Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas / Thrustmaster Pedals / Valve Index.

The first time I tried this a couple of SU-25's spawned after 2-3 minutes circling north of the air show. The 2nd time I circled around for over 10 minutes, never exceeding 3 miles from WP6 and never going south of the waypoint and nothing ever spawned. I exited as I guessed a trigger failed someplace but now I'm wondering if the spawning is random and maybe no attack will happen?

No the spawning is not random.

The reason they did not appear is you flew quite wide of the route on your approach over the sea. You need to fly between way points 4 and 5 . The trigger is quite large so you probably swung out quite a way.

I have been listening to the useful comments raised by different pilots and have passed an updated mission 1 to ED for issue. Not sure when this will be. The updated mission 1 deals with this and other matters raised.

Edited by Glyn

Once you have taken out the SA8,s remember you can get in as close as you like. You will not be able to use the coords as they were rough coords just to locate London. You need to identify the artillery roughly looking for the smoke as they fire then place the Mav's triangle in the hud on them and locate them with the Mav screen and lock them up. It can be done. I have a feeling that in recent updates, certainly in vr , (I use the index) the Mav screen has become very dark. I will try this out myself. Are you using vr?

Thanks Glyn, I'll give that a go, but yes the MAV's screen is very dark. Even though no, I'm not using VR. I'll have a try later :pilotfly:

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

Thanks Glyn, I'll give that a go, but yes the MAV's screen is very dark. Even though no, I'm not using VR. I'll have a try later :pilotfly:

Just flew the mission again to check the maverick display. Yes it can be done as I have said. Yes the Mav screen is dark but the targets are quite bright. :thumbup:

Thanks Glyn,

Agreed, managed to get the artillery. I did cheat and use the WPT method which seemed to pretty much be on top of both units.

Now need to try and finish the next part..... :thumbup:

Edited by zildac

Hi all and cheers Glyn for an awesome campaign thus far.

I'm stuck on at arm's reach and my JSOWS keep getting shot down by big bird. Any tips?

Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Hi no problem.

As set out in the brief you need to keep your distance. The challenge of this mission is getting close enough to fire the weapons and but far enough away not to trigger their missiles. Do not get closer than 40 miles. Say 45 miles to be safe. Closer than that and they will go into red alert and there is a good chance they will shoot down your JSOW's. On your first approach you may not have time to designate and release all three JSOW's. Maybe release only some of your weapons then reposition for the rest so you do not fly too close. Its up to you.

Good luck.

I'd like to know which (user) options are locked in the mission? Like labels, exterior views, map symbols, unlimited ammo/fuel and so on...

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.

I'd like to know which (user) options are locked in the mission? Like labels, exterior views, map symbols, unlimited ammo/fuel and so on...

HI

Firstly nothing is locked if you have checked the check box " USE THESE OPTIONS FOR ALL MISSIONS " in your main Gameplay settings tab. My understanding is they will take priority over any of the campaign settings. The campaign setting enforcement will only take priority if the check box remains unchecked.

NOTE :If pilots have the box checked so their own game settings are used and are using the easier air to air refuel campaign they need to select unlimited fuel in there preferences when flying those missions.

As far as my campaign settings are concerned I have checked through and generally the only settings that have been enforced is turbulence. Mission 2 has civilian traffic turned off to clear roads. All the simple air to air missions have unlimited fuel enforced. This except for mission 5 which is an oversight. So I will need to correct that, thanks. Also for some reason mission 3 has labels enforced which I will also correct.

Hope this helps.

HI

Firstly nothing is locked if you have checked the check box " USE THESE OPTIONS FOR ALL MISSIONS " in your main Gameplay settings tab. My understanding is they will take priority over any of the campaign settings. The campaign setting enforcement will only take priority if the check box remains unchecked.

NOTE :If pilots have the box checked so their own game settings are used and are using the easier air to air refuel campaign they need to select unlimited fuel in there preferences when flying those missions.

As far as my campaign settings are concerned I have checked through and generally the only settings that have been enforced is turbulence. Mission 2 has civilian traffic turned off to clear roads. All the simple air to air missions have unlimited fuel enforced. This except for mission 5 which is an oversight. So I will need to correct that, thanks. Also for some reason mission 3 has labels enforced which I will also correct.

Hope this helps.

Nice you don't enforce options in the missions!

Enforced options in missions always override user options. This is to force all players to use the same conditions in multiplayer and works the same in single player.

It is possible to play the campaign as single missions and start them from the mission editor after unchecking the enforced options, but that's a workaround maybe not everyone wants to do.

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.

hi!!

I have a doubt, in the 3rd mission, the objective of the two armed houses, one I shot down with the mk83, but the 2nd? with gun?

thanks

Hi no problem.

This is your second call on this sortie so you can take out the armed houses by any means at your disposal. Your challenge is to help the pinned down allied vehicle column so they can continue.

The houses are probably armament stores and so guns can be lethal.

Good luck

Hi no problem.

As set out in the brief you need to keep your distance. The challenge of this mission is getting close enough to fire the weapons and but far enough away not to trigger their missiles. Do not get closer than 40 miles. Say 45 miles to be safe. Closer than that and they will go into red alert and there is a good chance they will shoot down your JSOW's. On your first approach you may not have time to designate and release all three JSOW's. Maybe release only some of your weapons then reposition for the rest so you do not fly too close. Its up to you.

Good luck.

Reporting back with good news Glyn. Closest I got to waypoint 4 was 38nm with SAM site staying quiet.

Now onto this next night mission!

Having an issue with mission...8? The snake trap one. When i arrived on station and contacted Axeman, he lased the target , but when i said " In from the South" he said Abort Abort...Not sure why. Second time the missile blew up something but he said target not destroyed.

Having an issue with mission...8? The snake trap one. When i arrived on station and contacted Axeman, he lased the target , but when i said " In from the South" he said Abort Abort...Not sure why. Second time the missile blew up something but he said target not destroyed.

Hi.

I have mentioned this in the brief for the mission under "Tips". There are some unusual responses and he will say the target is not destroyed but then goes on to say it is. Think these unusual responses came after an ED update. Every time I have flown the mission there is no problem except for strange responses. I will check it out myself and get back to you. But look at the brief document which you should do to get the most out each mission.

The abort mission could be because you were not approaching from the direction they requested in the nine line.

As promised I flew mission 8. All went well both buildings destroyed but there were some strange responses as had indicated in the mission brief.

I came in from the south west set up nine line with JTAC. All good cleared in hot. After impact JTAC says "shift". Nothing suitable in the JTAC radio menu for response so turned uncaged second missile and as suggested by "shift" he is lazing second target so fire second missile. Hit second target. He then says "Abort Abort Abort" then pauses and says " no further targets etc" and your on your way in the mission.

Not sure why it does this but think it started after an update. I will play around with things to see if I can stop the strange responses but it may be a bug.

You should however be able to proceed with both buildings destroyed as I did.

Edited by Glyn

In mission 5, SA-10s shoot down all my JSOWs and I can't progress. I launch from 30,000ft about 35 miles away. Am I missing something?

I'm playing on the open beta version.

Yep your missing something like I was above. Don't get any closer than 38nm as I was having the same trouble as you were.

If you get lit up by the Sam don't launch your JSOWS, turn around and wait till your out of its range then turn back and recommence.

If your having issues with gas, what I did was as soon as the bandits spawn in wait until they make a launch, fire your Ac's turn cold drop chaff and let the immortal wing man take care of them. In saying that I still needed to tank prior to turning for Mother.

Also try launching JSOWS as close to angels 40 as possible.

Cheers

Yep your missing something like I was above. Don't get any closer than 38nm as I was having the same trouble as you were.

If you get lit up by the Sam don't launch your JSOWS, turn around and wait till your out of its range then turn back and recommence.

If your having issues with gas, what I did was as soon as the bandits spawn in wait until they make a launch, fire your Ac's turn cold drop chaff and let the immortal wing man take care of them. In saying that I still needed to tank prior to turning for Mother.

Also try launching JSOWS as close to angels 40 as possible.

Cheers

Ah...sorry, although I skimmed this thread I didn't realize the context without reading the spoiler in Glyn's response.

Although I totally understand the tactic, it's doesn't seem plausible to me that the SAM site can track my JSOWs when launched closer, but yet can't detect them when launched further away. If the JSOWs are a radar hit from 35nm, wouldn't they still be a hit at the same range regardless of how far out they're launched?

Also, I didn't get any RWR warning before I got close to 35 miles. I'm assuming the SAM has the search radar on and is actively searching. I'm no expert on the matter, but I thought at 30,000ft I would have a clear line of site to the search radar and can detect the EM energy over 40 miles away easily. Is this just a matter of realism vs. dcs simulation vs. mission scripting?

Ah...sorry, although I skimmed this thread I didn't realize the context without reading the spoiler in Glyn's response.

Although I totally understand the tactic, it's doesn't seem plausible to me that the SAM site can track my JSOWs when launched closer, but yet can't detect them when launched further away. If the JSOWs are a radar hit from 35nm, wouldn't they still be a hit at the same range regardless of how far out they're launched?

Also, I didn't get any RWR warning before I got close to 35 miles. I'm assuming the SAM has the search radar on and is actively searching. I'm no expert on the matter, but I thought at 30,000ft I would have a clear line of site to the search radar and can detect the EM energy over 40 miles away easily. Is this just a matter of realism vs. dcs simulation vs. mission scripting?

What you say is true but as set out at the beginning of the campaign the objective of the campaign is not to capture reality but create hopefully some interesting missions linked with a story line. The reason it is as is below.

When the mission was first designed the SAM site did not shoot down the approaching JSOWs. The challenge being to keep as far as possible away from the SAM site but within range of your JSOW,s. Increased height therefore giving the JSOW,s better range. Then there was an update and then the SAM site always shoots down the JSOW's. (Which is a surprise as I thought they were a lower profile weapon so as to prevent this?) So although a work round the mission as is creates something of the challenge as originally intended.