[CORRECT AS IS]Targeting Pod loosing TGT

pschaps

Since latest update having the following issue with the lightening targeting pod;

Normally I would do this...

1) designate current waypoint as a target using WPDSG on HSI to bring the TGP to the target area.

2) Press TDC Depress to designate the target in the TGP (with SCS selected to the FLIR page)

3) Unbox TGT on HSI to make the waypoint a WAYPOINT again and not a TGT (for navigation).

The above steps used to keep the TGP pointing at my tatget but give me my normal steering indications for navigation to whatever waypoint I choose.

Now when I do step 3, the TGP seems to go back into "snowplow" mode....:cry:

Anyone else had a similar issue?

Yes, I have the same problem. Even if I have slewed the Tpod (fine tuning) and designated a new target with TDC depress, as soon as I exit WPDSG "mode" (regardless of if I just unbox TGT in the HSI or if I press Undesgnate) the TPod resets. I don't think it was this way before the last patch.

I'm not sure how it really should work. In a way, it's strange that the aircraft even remains in WPDSG mode after you acquire a new designation with the pod. But maybe that will make sense down the line with Cursor Zero and Offset functionality, if there are such things.

EDIT: There's of course no "WPDSG mode". See Santi871's comment below. Sorry for confusing message.

Edited by Bankler

• ED Team

Reported, I will check with the team if behaviour has changed in some way and let you know.

thank you

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• ED Team

Hi all

I have checked with the team this behaviour is correct based on the information we have.

Target maybe unselected either manually or automatically, undesignate will happen when pressing the undesiganate button, or selecting another waypoint, or by deselecting TGT on HSI.

Thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Yes, I have the same problem. Even if I have slewed the Tpod (fine tuning) and designated a new target with TDC depress, as soon as I exit WPDSG "mode" (regardless of if I just unbox TGT in the HSI or if I press Undesgnate) the TPod resets. I don't think it was this way before the last patch.

I'm not sure how it really should work. In a way, it's strange that the aircraft even remains in WPDSG mode after you acquire a new designation with the pod. But maybe that will make sense down the line with Cursor Zero and Fffset functionality, if there are such things.

There's no wpdsg mode, target steering is selected while a target designation exists and deselected when it doesn't.

This behaviour just doesn't seem logical. It may be correct, but it doesn't make sense to me.

I mean, if you have a WPDSG target to move your TPOD into the 'right' area, then refine its position and TDC depress to create a new target, I can't see how it can be correct to then lose the new target when WPDSG is unselecetd as it is no longer the target.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

This behaviour just doesn't seem logical. It may be correct, but it doesn't make sense to me.

I mean, if you have a WPDSG target to move your TPOD into the 'right' area, then refine its position and TDC depress to create a new target, I can't see how it can be correct to then lose the new target when WPDSG is unselecetd as it is no longer the target.

The Hornet is either in "WYPT steering mode" or "TGT steering mode". As soon as you designate a target in any way (WPDSG, TPOD, AG Radar), you all navigation cues will refer to the TGT point. Changing the WYPT number or unboxing TGT in the HSI/SA will revert back to the currently selected WYPT and the TGT point is lost.

I am currently unaware if this is realistic behavior, but it makes sense that if you at least unbox TGT, you lose the target point. The problem is that currently, the TGT point is lost (unboxed) by a number of things that shouldn't cause it to unbox, such as manipulating another waypoint or doing anything inside the HSI DATA page. This might partially be because we currently lack the WP REF function on the HSI, which allows you to keep one WYPT/TGT/MK selected and used for navigation, while manipulating another WYPT.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

I can't see how it can be correct to then lose the new target when WPDSG is unselecetd as it is no longer the target.

You cannot "unselect" WPDSG. Pressing WPDSG initializes the designation to the currently selected waypoint (or markpoint) position. That is all it does, it's not a mode or a state, it's just an action. You can then do as you please with the designation, including moving it around with the targeting pod or with other methods.

Edited by Santi871

I guess what I'm saying is that it would be useful for the TPOD to hold its position when TGT is deselected rather than going to boresight.

The MAV seeker does.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I guess what I'm saying is that it would be useful for the TPOD to hold its position when TGT is deselected rather than going to boresight.

The MAV seeker does.

Why would you need that, when are you going to target something with the targeting pod, that isn't the target?

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

Since latest update having the following issue with the lightening targeting pod;

Normally I would do this...

1) designate current waypoint as a target using WPDSG on HSI to bring the TGP to the target area.

2) Press TDC Depress to designate the target in the TGP (with SCS selected to the FLIR page)

3) Unbox TGT on HSI to make the waypoint a WAYPOINT again and not a TGT (for navigation).

The above steps used to keep the TGP pointing at my tatget but give me my normal steering indications for navigation to whatever waypoint I choose.

Now when I do step 3, the TGP seems to go back into "snowplow" mode....:cry:

You can still navigate using HSI sequence lines. You can also guesstimate distance to your waypoints from HSI scale.

Why would you need that, when are you going to target something with the targeting pod, that isn't the target?

To create a various steerpoints for future use? To observe different locations than designated target?

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Although I do believe that ED will probably know best what's realistic, this new TGP behavior is really odd (to put it mildly)

I just flew a mission where my target waypoint was located exactly on top of my target. So what happened:

I slewed my TGP to the target, used it to automatically enter the GPS coordinates into my JDAM weapon page and released my bombs when in range. So far so good..

But then when I got close to the target waypoint (and a few seconds before impact), my HSI automatically switched to the next waypoint because I had the "AUTO" function activated, and my TGP automatically slewed away from my target. Preventing me from verifying if I hit the target...

Now in this case this was a JDAM, so it did nicely follow my GPS coordinates and destroyed the target, but what would happen if you are actively lasing a target for LGB or MAV delivery? Wouldn't the TGP suddenly go awol and with it prevent correct target lasing? (or even worse, keep lasing, but on the new TGP location?

Edit - Small correction to my above message:

I flew the same mission again today and I noticed that "Waypoint" and "Auto" on the HSI page got deselected automatically as soon as I switched over to TGP (the Waypoint text on the DDI changed to TGT)

So my above statement was incorrect!

I must have manually switched my HSI from TGT back to waypoint (can't remember... must be an age thing :P)

Edited by sirrah

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

So I guess the real question is: If a TGT position exists through the use of WPDSG, should the TGT position be updated if the waypoint sequence switches waypoints in AUTO mode?

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

So I guess the real question is: If a TGT position exists through the use of WPDSG, should the TGT position be updated if the waypoint sequence switches waypoints in AUTO mode?

Don't think so, the WPDSG isnt a state that the jet is in that needs to be maintained. It literally means 'designate the currently selected waypoint as the TGT', once it has been pressed and its action realised, the waypoint isn't tied to it anymore afaik.

Don't think so, the WPDSG isnt a state that the jet is in that needs to be maintained. It literally means 'designate the currently selected waypoint as the TGT', once it has been pressed and its action realised, the waypoint isn't tied to it anymore afaik.

Having said that, I'm no longer as certain of my convictions.