CASE III : "Approach button XY" - then never used?

Razor18

Sorry if already discussed, I didn't find search function in this new forum format yet.

Anyways, shortly after commencing, Marshall tells you to "Switch approach, button XY". But when I turn the knob to the new button number, communication seems to seize, unless I'm switching back to Marshall frequency. Is switching to Approach not implemented, or just considered done without doing it? If not, why mentioning the approach button in the radio comms at all?

Not a showstopper, just asking...

Thanks

All comms are currently only on one frequency. Later in Early Access, I believe ED is planning to add the full procedure, with different frequencies.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

X and Y are the TCN channels

Usually for navigation they are X for example 96X OMAM

Y is Air to Air TCN usually like 29Y/92Y

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

LUCKY:pilotfly::joystick:

Computer Specs

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 6-Core 3.4 GHz| GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 6Gb | RAM: 32 GB DDR4 @ 3000 MHz | OS: Win 10 64 bit | HD: 500 Gb SSD

He didn't mean TACAN channels, in this example, XY is a stand in for a number. IRL, Marshall would tell you to switch to a specific preset channel number to talk to the LSO. However, right now this is not implemented.

This is one thing I'm really looking forward to in land-based ATC, as well. Only the smallest airfields (as in, "1000m of concrete and watchman's booth on a pole" small) will have a single frequency for everything. Most have two or three, international ones have four or five plus one more for ATIS.

Oh that makes sense I thought it was TCN channels like the KC10

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

LUCKY:pilotfly::joystick:

Computer Specs

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 6-Core 3.4 GHz| GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 6Gb | RAM: 32 GB DDR4 @ 3000 MHz | OS: Win 10 64 bit | HD: 500 Gb SSD

Just means "Switch to channel x (with a different frequency}.
Thanks,

Yes I know what they're referring to when they use the word "button," what I'm saying is I don't remember that line of dialogue in sim. I seem to remember "switch approach" and that's it. But I admit it's probably been over a month since I've flown a Case 3 approach.

My understanding is that all comms for a single facility are handled on a single frequency (mother, marshal, paddles) just like land bases (approach, tower, ground).

Hoping that ED adds the ability to switch to the different channels at some point. That would be an awesome feature!

Steve

• Like 1

PC: ASROCK Z370 Gaming K6 | Intel i7 8700K | GeForce 2080TI | 32GB GeSkill 3200 RAM | GeForce 2080TI | 500GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 | 1TB Samsung 860 EVO M.2

FLIGHT STUFF: Rift S | Warthog Base | Virpil Base | Hornet Grip | A-10 Grip | Cougar Grip | Virpil F-14 Grip | Cougar MFD's | A-10C UFC | Saitek Flight Panels | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals