Forgotten Dispenser

hein22

One of the most annoying things of the hornet development process is the inability to program the dispenser settings on the ground.

When can we expect this little but painful bug be corrected?

Thanks.

For now, simply edit the .lua file - save a backup copy of it in a different location, so you can replace it once an update is downloaded for DCS - then simply copy and replace the original file again. I haven't had to setup the counter measures system in the Hornet for nearly a year. Every time I get in, program 1 and program 5 are good to go. Just turn the systems on, enable them and done.

That is for the interim, until they sort this out - but it's been what, a year and a half or close to two years since the Hornet was released? Doubt it's coming anytime soon. You also are not supposed to be required to have the master arm switch in ARM position to dispense chaff and flare - but they've got that incorrect as well.

Worth doing what is suggested in my original 'paragraph' to save yourself some sanity until they address it. If you are unsure of how to do this, just tell me what you want program 1 to do, and what you want program 5 to do - I will edit the .lua and attach it so you can simply download it and copy and paste it for yourself.

Cheers,

Ziptie

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

Edit lua as Aiptie said or use DiCE mode to do it in game GUI.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.c...files/3312680/

That is for the interim, until they sort this out - but it's been what, a year and a half or close to two years since the Hornet was released? Doubt it's coming anytime soon.

A-10C has over (?) 10 years and there still is no possibility to save you despencers setup, so I can't see it coming "soon"

A-10C has over (?) 10 years and there still is no possibility to save you despencers setup, so I can't see it coming "soon"

Exactly this, and why the recommendation to edit the .lua file OP. Until they implement the long talked about data cartridges, we won't be getting this feature anytime soon, sadly.

Side note: I also do the very same thing for the first 4 programs in the A10C (II - still dislike having to clarify the II) - as I can't be bothered to change them. It is highly annoying indeed.

Cheers,

Ziptie

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

What .lua is the one I'm looking for?

DCS World\Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Cockpit\Scripts\TEWS\device\CMDS_ALE47.lua

Recommend you either use a mod manager to deactivate and activate again after an update/repair or simply keep a copy of your edited file, as it will be returned to default after every update/repair.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

DCS World\Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Cockpit\Scripts\TEWS\device\CMDS_ALE47.lua

Recommend you either use a mod manager to deactivate and activate again after an update/repair or simply keep a copy of your edited file, as it will be returned to default after every update/repair.

@Harker correctly given you the directory and file in question. As he stated, you can use a mod manager - or you can follow the method I outlined above. Personally I don't like the mod managers and prefer to do it the 'manual way.' To each their own.

Also, it's best to edit with Notepad++ (but you can get away with editing via regular Notepad)......

If you struggle to get it sorted by editing, just let us know here and it's easy enough to have one of us modify our file and send it to you.

Cheers,

Ziptie

Thanks guys, very kind of you!

I think I'll try it out and see if I can get it to work without help.

Do I take any risk by copying and pasting my own edited version? I mean, what if the file changes substantially in an update and I replace it? Will I break anything?

Thanks again.

Stay safe

Thanks guys, very kind of you!

I think I'll try it out and see if I can get it to work without help.

Do I take any risk by copying and pasting my own edited version? I mean, what if the file changes substantially in an update and I replace it? Will I break anything?

Thanks again.

As long as you only edit the values inside the file (like flare qty, chaff qty, repeat, interval) you will be fine. Leave the file name and extension the same ( CMDS_ALE47.lua ) - no, you have no risk.

Any repair or update will overwrite the file and place it back to stock configuration, hence the recommendation to save a copy of your modified file in another location, for quick replacement after any repair or update.

Cheers,

Ziptie

Thanks guys.

I got it to work.

Kind regards.

Excellent, glad we could assist you and that you have sorted it. Much better to not have to mess with it every single time. Makes it more enjoyable for sure.

Cheers,

Ziptie

That's a good question, since some files do change between updates. Since I run mods, I take a few minutes after every update to see if the file in question has been updated. No need to open it, I just check the "last-modified" date - if it's today (update day), then it's been modified and the mod needs to be updated.

In that case, I simply copy the new file, modify it and then use the new modified file as the mod.

Thankfully, DCS is very mod-friendly and you can easily revert any unwanted changes by repairing your installation, if you didn't keep backups. Play it safe, but don't be afraid to experiment a little bit.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-

Thanks guys.

I got it to work.

Kind regards.

Nice to hear. Happy flying

-