Has damage model evolved since last year?

twistking

I'm still waiting for the 18 to be more completed before i make the purchase, however i think that it slowly reaching a state that i find "good enough". my main concern is the damage modelling, both structural and concerning the avionics (emergency procedures, warnings, hydraulics simulation, reversion modes). has there been some progress since last year?

i'm not interested in airquake, but semi-realistic missions and realistic procedures. can the damage model hold up to that?

how does it compare to the a-10c with which i am very familiar?

thanks!

Hornet still explodes when something scratches it. Apart from the G overstress model breaking the wings there haven't been any changes or improvements to the damage model.

Not always. The other day I survived an Igla that shut down some systems and caused a fuel leak. I limped back to base, taking care to maximize fuel efficiency and my engines ended up shuttingdown after landing.

Some other times, you can lose systems and you can successfully bring some of them back up by cycling the MC1 or MC2.

Then of course there are the cases I'll eat a missile, my pilot will immediately die and all that's left of the Hornet is a burning fuselage. So, middle of the road, really, although I think not much has changed.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Only in very rare cases have I seen a Hornet survive. Maybe if it gets hit by a R-60 or small manpad.

Yeah, I agree here. Getting hit by anything bigger will usually result in total loss or most probably the pilot dying outright. There are things modeled, but there's still a lot of work and tweaking to be done.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-

Yeah, I agree here. Getting hit by anything bigger will usually result in total loss or most probably the pilot dying outright. There are things modeled, but there's still a lot of work and tweaking to be done.

Yes. But then again some other modules are a bit too tanky like the F-14, F-15 and Mig-21.

Yes. But then again some other modules are a bit too tanky like the F-14, F-15 and Mig-21.

I don't know about the F-15 and MiG-21, but I completely agree about the F-14. It's ridiculous. I recently fought one in the Hornet, put more than 100 (!) 20mm rounds on in it and it kept flying, both engines running. I've saved the debriefing report on it, I'll be submitting this as a bug.

-

i'm not interested in airquake, but semi-realistic missions and realistic procedures. can the damage model hold up to that?

how does it compare to the a-10c with which i am very familiar?

thanks!

The Hornet will never be as tough as the Hog but they were designed that way. So, it's impossible to compare them. The DCS Hornet has a ways to go for taking damage.

Buzz

i just hope we will see some improvments before the super high-end, highly detailed new damage model from the warbirds gets introduced to the jets, because i fear that this could take years until it's finished then. i know that interim-solutions mean doing some work twice, but for the hornet to be released from early access she seemingly needs more work on the damage model...