Paddle shift no longer disengages nose wheel steering??

Hey guys,

Is it just me or does the paddle shift on the stick no longer disengage nose wheel steering?? Was working fine before but recently noticed it doesn't do anything, and I see it's still mapped correctly under controls menu so I really don't get what the issue is...

Just noticed the paddle switch wont let me go beyond the g-limit set at the time either. I mean like it's not working at all yet it's definitely mapped correctly under controls and used to work fine but now it has no effect...

Edited by CommandT

Might be a bad switch. It works ok for me. You'd be hearing more about it if it was for everybody. I only use it to turn off AP but i'm doing that all the time.

That's so strange. I mean when i pull it (using TM Warthog) it regonises it immediately in the control menu... yet it clearly doesn't work in the game. I'll see if I can re-bind it.

Are you sure you're mapping it right? Does the pinky switch give you Hi steering?

Yep, pinky switch works perfectly for NWS HI (unrelated to the paddle switch below it)

So I am really super lost now. I have now tried to un-assign and then re-assign the paddle switch to AP Disengage/NWS disengage command, and I can map it no problem in the controls. I mean when I press it - it immediately recognises what I have pressed and assigns it to this function. But when I actually fly it does nothing. I have the same function bound to "A" on the keyboard by default and that works as it should... I'm so confused. I mean physically the paddle swtich doesn't seem broken - otherwise how would the sim be able to recognise and map it under my controls?

It used to work perfectly before, and I never changed anything in the controls for this lately but then after a little while not flying the F-18 I came back to it and it just doesn't want to work any more. So strange... :huh:

Why would you ever want NWS disengaged on a carrier? You must mean Hi steering but even that is ok if you don't drive too fast.

During a flight control check - as the person above your post stated. You don't want to scrub the front tires with the nose gear rotating during the rudder sweep. Also, if you are using the Hornet from an airbase, rather than on the carrier - you want to disengage the nosewheel steering during takeoff, after you reached the appropriate number of knots for your loadout & prevailing weather conditions.

To the OP, my paddle switch is also functioning as intended. Wondering if somehow it was been bound as a modifier for another module - or somehow been cleared from the F18 "Sim" control binding section - or the "Game" control binding section, if that option is checked for you and you fly in that type.

Cheers,

Ziptie

Edited by Ziptie

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

I understand about airfields but I did mention just carriers. Scrubbing the front tire during rudder check I didn't think of. Is the NWS turned off during that in the real plane? Does the crew chief sucker punch you if you don't?

Buzz

Is the NWS turned off during that in the real plane?
At least in the civilian world, yes if possible.

Does the crew chief sucker punch you if you don't?

So long as his hand wasn't unlucky enough to be near the steering mechanism during the rudder check (pulling chocks/pins e.g.) and you crushed it.

Well, one more thing to the long list of things to remember.

To be fair, if you are manually starting the aircraft - the nosewheel steering isn't enabled until you enable it - so nothing to add to your checklist. If you are using auto start feature, might be a different story. I can't remember what is included with the auto start procedure as I haven't done one in years.

Cheers,

Ziptie

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

Tbh I don't care about the nose wheel steering disengage all that much, I can press "A" on the keyboard for that during the pre-flight check. But what I do care about is over-riding the G-limiter... grrrr.

randomTOTEN, yep, kept the paddle pulled (pressed) for a while - no effect. I'll try to map it to another function to see if it works.

To be fair, if you are manually starting the aircraft - the nosewheel steering isn't enabled until you enable it - so nothing to add to your checklist. If you are using auto start feature, might be a different story. I can't remember what is included with the auto start procedure as I haven't done one in years.

Cheers,

Ziptie

No, I don't even know how to do auto start. You haven't read my posts. ;)

Edited by BuzzU

Buzz

Tbh I don't care about the nose wheel steering disengage all that much, I can press "A" on the keyboard for that during the pre-flight check. But what I do care about is over-riding the G-limiter... grrrr.

I wish you would have said that from the start.

Buzz

One other thing to try: assign the paddle to something else that's obvious to see (taxi lights, master arm) etc and see if it activates that function. That will at least tell you if it's specifically related to the NWS function or the paddle binding itself.

If you haven't done so, check that the paddle hasn't gotten assigned to something in the General or UI layers (that seems to have been causing a bunch of people issues lately). If it's assigned there it might override the F-18 binding and prevent it from working.

I've had a similar thing recently with the A/P not disengaging (Warthog). On operating the paddle switch, the double dot disappears but the altitude hold function remains active (as if only "half" working). Try unbinding "undesignate" in controls and then re-binding the paddle switch. Seemed to resolve the issue. If I end up replicating the issue, I'll grab the track.

There is always the ( repair ) to try.

Intel core I9 10900K 3.7 ghz

Asrock Z490 Extreme4

G-SKill Ripjaws V 32GB

Cooler Master 120m

GTX 980 Superclocked

Corsair AX850w psu

Samsung 1 T M.2 2 X 850 ssd's

Sony 48 in HD TV

Trackir 5

Hotas Warthog F/A-18C Hornet Grip

Logitech Pro Peddles

Windows 10 64

Check that you didn't map it as a modifier, that will override the disengaged command.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

No, I don't even know how to do auto start. You haven't read my posts. ;)

Your post never says anything about using, or not using auto start. I was just stating that there is no need to add anything to any list of "things to remember" as during a start up procedure - part of it is doing a control sweep after the FCS bit test. Last thing that happens is enabling NWS. If you were saying that you've clarified whether you do or do not use auto start in another thread - I'm not a stalker and don't search every other thread you've posted in sir / ma'am.

Cheers,

Ziptie

Your post never says anything about using, or not using auto start. I was just stating that there is no need to add anything to any list of "things to remember" as during a start up procedure - part of it is doing a control sweep after the FCS bit test. Last thing that happens is enabling NWS. If you were saying that you've clarified whether you do or do not use auto start in another thread - I'm not a stalker and don't search every other thread you've posted in sir / ma'am.

Cheers,

Ziptie

I've posted a lot of times in many threads that I keep everything as real as I can. There was also a long thread on auto start. I posted a lot in that thread. I have no interest in checking to see if you posted in that thread.

The stalker comment was uncalled for and it's sir.

Buzz