Question on JDAM PP targeting and TPOD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question on JDAM PP targeting and TPOD

So, when you enter a PP target in JDAM and bring up the JDAM, you get a Target point with HUD steering and distance readout.

Is there any way to automatically put the TPOD on this point? Doesn't seem to be which makes it different from WP Designations. I don't believe that HUD targeting for AUTO BOMBING gets slaved to the FLIR either.

Wondering if this is another potential SLAVE mode for the TPOD or not

No, the coordinates are one way, to the weapon, never back, you could create a waypoint manually with the coordinates... if it's PP, the coordinates are meant to be known before you take off, hence you would also have a target waypoint as well in theory.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanguard View Post
      No, the coordinates are one way, to the weapon, never back, you could create a waypoint manually with the coordinates... if it's PP, the coordinates are meant to be known before you take off, hence you would also have a target waypoint as well in theory.

Thanks. That is what I thought. Probably since COORDS are known, it would be just as easy to CREATE a WP which could be designated for TOO mode JDAM attack and give more flexibility as well. Brings up the questions as to why you would use PP mode in the first place vs. TGT WP creation. I guess it saves cluttering up your WP's and remembering which is which.

Comment

Also, lots of times quantity release is used if number of targets are located within range and your release point/wpt is not that far from these targets. I usually had no problems slewing the Tpod to general area where the targets are located, ahead of time. If I wanted to confirm any specific target's location on Tpod I would use lat/log readout on the pod... yea it sucks, it would probably be better just to snap to it.
        Normally in quantity release I would try to center the pod over the target area, zooming out a little so I could see all the fireworks.

Comment

Originally posted by Gripes323 View Post
          Also, lots of times quantity release is used if number of targets are located within range and your release point/wpt is not that far from these targets. I usually had no problems slewing the Tpod to general area where the targets are located, ahead of time. If I wanted to confirm any specific target's location on Tpod I would use lat/log readout on the pod... yea it sucks, it would probably be better just to snap to it.
          Normally in quantity release I would try to center the pod over the target area, zooming out a little so I could see all the fireworks.

Hmmm.... I have been doing multiple Single releases letting the station automatically STEP for each release (and then selecting TOO2 or PP2 as necessary for second bombs on stations). I didn't realize selecting QTY >1 would still send each bomb on its own mission. Seems like this changed at some point and didn't work, or maybe I misunderstood.

EDIT: D'OH! That is still an argument for PP programming vs. WP programming released singly or multiples..
          Last edited 10-12-2020, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X