Afterburner detent

The better controllers we use have a detent for AB. Which simulates the real planes throttle.

The warthog is a far cry away from even getting close.

The detent and force needed to actuate is situational, much less in air than on ground for example.

Even the Winwing throttle unit doesn't account for this.

Close enough sure.

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

The warthog is a far cry away from even getting close.

The detent and force needed to actuate is situational, much less in air than on ground for example.

Even the Winwing throttle unit doesn't account for this.

Close enough sure.

I use a Shapesway detent on my Warthog. It's push through and works well. I'm not a fan of finger lifts.

What I meant by simulating the real plane is we have a mechanical detent.

Buzz

The only throttle that simulates the A/B in the hornet correctly...

Winwings Super Taurus

780269343_cockpit(2).thumb.jpg.2c18bd48b39954d309a749832e7180c0.jpg

Ryzen 9 7950X3D - MSI MAG X670E TomaHawk MB, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 AIO

64gig Corsair DDR5@6000, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 AORUS

Winwing Super Taurus, Orion2, TO / Combat panels, Collective with Topgun MIP

Winwing Skywalker pedals, NLR Boeing Mil Edition Simpit, Trackir

In settings you have the option to enable the afterburner detent - you can bind fingerlifts to a button and use that to push through the detent in-game.

If you don't do that, you need to hear the afterburner audio feedback as well as look at your fuel flow gauge on the IFEI to see it spike when afterburner is engaged.

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

Thanks for all of the replies. I actually have a Warthog with the modified push through detent. I was just curious how it was in an actual Hornet. I feel like I have seen conflicting information.

What is conflicting? The real hornet has fingers lifts, no ifs or buts...

1. Lift to move from Idle Cutoff to Idle and back

2. Lift or push through to enter A/B

xW7ozM4.png.dec3f19861be5015c18f061c02de12b4.png

The confusion might be that the finger lifts only prevent the throttle being moved beyond MIL with weight on wheels. Even then they can be pushed through with the aforementioned 35lbs of force.

When airborne, the finger lifts are disengaged.

I'm no authority, but that's the case as far as I understand it.

Asus Z690 Hero | 12900K | 64GB G.Skill 6000 | 4090FE | Reverb G2 | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 + TM Grips  | Winwing Orion2 Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals

The confusion might be that the finger lifts only prevent the throttle being moved beyond MIL with weight on wheels. Even then they can be pushed through with the aforementioned 35lbs of force.

When airborne, the finger lifts are disengaged.

I'm no authority, but that's the case as far as I understand it.

If they are disengaged during flight, what stops you from shutting the engines down??

If they are disengaged during flight, what stops you from shutting the engines down??

I nearly specified that they were disengaged for afterburner operation, but thought that completely obvious given the context.

Asus Z690 Hero | 12900K | 64GB G.Skill 6000 | 4090FE | Reverb G2 | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 + TM Grips  | Winwing Orion2 Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals

Found this....

Advancing the throttles from OFF to IDLE (during engine start) opens the engine fuel control shutoff valves and activates engine ignition. Finger lifts, on the front of each throttle, must be raised to place the throttles OFF. With weight on the wheels, launch bar retracted and the arresting hook UP or with weight off the wheels, afterburner operation is initiated by advancing the throttles through the MIL detent gates into MAX. On the ground, an afterburner lockout system helps guard against inadvertent afterburner selection. With weight on the wheels and launch bar extended or the arresting hook DOWN, the afterburner lockout extends and the finger lifts must be raised or a force of approximately 32 pounds must be applied before the throttles can be moved to MAX. A retractable inflight IDLE stop extends with weight off the wheels and provides a higher IDLE rpm and reduced acceleration time to MIL.

What I gather from the above is that the force required to enter AB with weight off wheels is considerably less then weight on wheels.....also no need to be smart!

Edited by MustangSally

Actually need to correct myself:

With weight on the wheels, launch bar retracted and the arresting hook UP or with weight off the wheels, afterburner operation is initiated by advancing the throttles through the MIL detent gates into MAX. On the ground, an afterburner lockout system helps guard against inadvertent afterburner selection. With weight on the wheels and launch bar extended or the arresting hook DOWN, the afterburner lockout extends and the finger lifts must be raised or a force of approximately 32 pounds must be applied before the throttles can be moved to MAX. A retractable inflight IDLE stop extends with weight off the wheels and provides a higher IDLE rpm and reduced acceleration time to MIL

It's not simply weight on wheels that extends the lockout, but WoW *and* the launch bar or hook exteneded.

So for land-based operations the finger lifts (or force) wouldn't be required to engage afterburner on the ground. Even on a carrier, you could still presumably engage afterburner without the finger lifts if the launch bar hasn't been extended.

Finger lifts are only for moving the throttle from idle to cut-off. It does nothing for AB. Winwings throttles uses the finger lifts springs to give resistance when pushing the throttle through the AB detents. And although this recreates the correct "feel" this is not how the real jet operates. Again, it functions correctly and "feels" the same, it is simply not the same mechanism designed in the hornet. It is transparent to the gamer.

There is nothing keeping the pilot from using AB with weight on wheels. There is no finger lifts or lock-out mechanism associated with the AB on the real hornet. Be happy to share a vid of me using AB on a night field take off.

If you need f18 correct "feel " AB detents for the TM WH i can make them for you. Contact me in discord.

"........ have seen conflicting information."

There is much out there.

Edited by Lex Talionis

Find us on Discord. https://discord.gg/td9qeqg

Obviously can't argue with your experience, but what's the above quote from NATOPS on about?

If you need the correct answer ^

Would very much like to know the NATOPS page on this so i can look it up ...

"With weight on the wheels, launch bar retracted and the arresting hook UP or with weight off the wheels, afterburner operation is initiated by advancing the throttles through the MIL detent gates into MAX. On the ground, an afterburner lockout system helps guard against inadvertent afterburner selection. With weight on the wheels and launch bar extended or the arresting hook DOWN, the afterburner lockout extends and the finger lifts must be raised or a force of approximately 32 pounds must be applied before the throttles can be moved to MAX. A retractable inflight IDLE stop extends with weight off the wheels and provides a higher IDLE rpm and reduced acceleration time to MIL"

Because if true ... "With weight on the wheels and launch bar extended or the arresting hook DOWN, the afterburner lockout extends and the finger lifts must be raised "....... you would not be able to use AB after a bolter untill the jet was already airborne, unless you fiddle with the lifts.

Edited by Lex Talionis

Find us on Discord. https://discord.gg/td9qeqg

Send me the page number and i will look it up when i get home

A1-F18AC-NFM-000 page I-2-4. Or page 31 if you're looking at the same PDF as me.

I've not much comprehension of what the 32lbs of force feels like, but it is simply a case of relying on that rather than bothering with the finger lifts if using MAX to depart from the boat?