It really is fun to just jump in a simple primitive airplane
    (compared to the F18.)

and go for a ride

set up a fun mission in Caucus to fly about 75 miles
    Navigate based on taking Radial off of Tacan

meet up with a JTAC and drop some laser guided munitions
    on a couple of unsuspecting tanks in the valley

killing those tanks triggers a couple Migs to scramble
    stay in the valley, use your sensors (Or Awacs)
    and you can pop up behind them

that triggers a bomber to take off
    pick off with your guns on your way home.

Just a fun way to fly a mission and enjoy
    without massive workload managing
    so many different complicated systems.

took me awhile to learn how to land the thing,
    just gotta learn how to trim and maintain turn at low speed
    and make sure downwind is far enough parallel of runway

You have reached DCS Enlightenment!

sigpic
    http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php
    High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.
    www.crosswindimages.com

Comment

Originally posted by johnmjones1975 View Post
      just gotta learn how to trim and maintain turn at low speed
      It always takes one too fast turn and the never ending stall warning to remind me its an F5 not an F16.
      sigpic

Comment

There's a simple enjoyment about the F-5. If a child were to ask you "What's a fighter jet?" the F-5 is basically what you'd describe.
        sigpic
        Click here to see the updated time until DCS: F-22A

Comment

I love it too. looking forward to more from that era.

Comment

Would you mind sharing that mission? Sounds like lots of fun.
            I love the F-5 as well obviously.

Comment

I agree it's a great plane. Best advice I ever followed in DCS was to use the F5 as my first 'full fidelity' plane...really lets you learn how planes actually work without getting bogged down too much dense switch-ology.

Comment

It's a great aircraft and probably one of the best to start your DCS career in, I love it.

Comment

I fully agree.

If a pilot is guided by a human AWACS or a GCI controller, the aircraft has the potential to be really harmful to F-15 & co.
                  If loaded with two AIM-9P5 and no external loads, the jet is quite agile AND fast.
                  You have chaffs & flares to defend yourself in case needed.
                  I recently notched AIM-7M and R-27R successfully, and killed two highest skill AI pilots, and got some kills on the famous "Cold war Syria special edition" with this amazing bird.

If you know how to handle and know its weaknesses, there are some options to make the life of the enemy hard.

On the other hand, if a guy is behind you, not important which one, have the ejection seat lever in your left hand ready and start trim to full forward
                  my channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_Y...KCGYB9w/videos
                  my computer | CSL | i7 6700 @ 4.4 GHz | Asus STRIX GTX 1070 8GB | 32GB 3000 MHz DDR4 | 256 GB SDD SYS + 500 GB SSD DCS + 1 TB HDD | A-10 Warthog Throttle + Stick | Win10 Professional | Oculus Rift CV1
                  my mods | FC3 | AJS-37 | F-14B | F/A-18 | F-16C | F-5E-3 | L-39 | HAWK | UH-1 | CA

Comment

Now hop on the 'Cold War 1947 - 1991' server with that F-5E and get into some real action

Comment

Thanks for the heads up on the Multiplayer server, will try

been trying to circle in Caucus valleys and ambush someone
                      but keep eating missiles from F16's from about 300 miles away.

I will post my very simple mission
                      not easy to kick my 14 year old off the computer
                      during Fortnite/Call of Duty marathons on the weekends

cleaning it up and writing the mission briefing, playing with time of day for visual effects
                      last night and before i knew it it was 3:30 am

schoonights he gets booted at 10

Comment

Originally posted by countvonaltibar View Post
                        It's a great aircraft and probably one of the best to start your DCS career in, I love it.

That's exactly what I did. About as rusty as you can get, but I did manage a (very bad) landing at Ramat David the other day. Like riding a bicycle; you get it all back pretty quick.

Comment

What this thing needs is more singleplayer content. I don't fly multi, and I think I managed to get through every single mission for it during the free trials earlier this year. A neat little bird, to be sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragon1-1 View Post
                            What this thing needs is more singleplayer content. I don't fly multi, and I think I managed to get through every single mission for it during the free trials earlier this year. A neat little bird, to be sure.
                            More singleplayer content is about to be released

Comment

Well, if it's any good, then I might end up getting this plane one day. If kind of felt like a trainer at first (expected, seeing as it's basically a single-seat T-38 ), but after getting used to its quirks and shooting down a Russian AWACS, I found myself liking it a lot. Might be just the thing for introducing any visitors (...that I'll have once the pandemic winds down) to flying. It's reasonably simple, doesn't have INS so there's no need to sit and wait for it to align, and it's quite easy to fly, unlike the MiGs.

Comment

Yeah, it's a great aircraft, and a brilliant first module, nice and simple.

Only thing for me is the cockpit, which could do with an update and RADAR which is currently simplified.

I think there might also be an issue with the RWR, whereby search mode doesn't let you see RADARs in anything other than a search mode, requiring you to keep changing modes.
                                Modules I own: F-14A/B, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, F-16CM, AJS-37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, P-47D, P-51D, FC3, MiG-15bis, Yak-52, CA, C-101, Hawk
                                Terrains I own: Syria, The Channel, SoH

System (RIP my old PC): Dell XPS 15 9570 w/ Intel i7-8750H, NVIDIA GTX 1050Ti Max-Q, 16GB DDR4, 500GB Samsung PM871 SSD (upgraded with 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD)

VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro

Dreams: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/cHQdNq

Comment

Working...
                                X