VFR Straight Landing training mission

Herkyman

I been doing the VFR Straight Landing training mission. It talks about maintaining speed and angle of attack. It does mention what AOA is... but it never says what the speed is supposed to be. Any ideas anyone?

I try to keep it between 170 and 190 as I am on approach, but I am just guessing. I can land it and stop it before I run out of runway, but feel I am missing something.

I think I do land it too fast, as the trainer/narrator mentions to pull back on the stick to help reduce speed, but when I do, darn nose goes up like I am taking off, so I end up bouncing the nose a few times.

So... what is the correct air speed for approach and landing? I know it would vary with aircraft weight but a ball park figure would be nice.

Thanks!

So... what is the correct air speed for approach and landing? I know it would vary with aircraft weight but a ball park figure would be nice.
It's a trick question, complete with a trick answer. The speed you land at is the AOA speed. What I do is when I am on approach I slow down till I see the green donut. At that moment I am at AOA speed. I remember that speed. I target that speed and use the AOA indicator as a backup for possible changes. If the donut shows sooner or later, I'll note the new speed.

I wouldnt fly faster than what you need to keep the E bracket centered on approach. You are making it harder by having to reduce your speed on approach. The farther out you can get lined up and on speed the easier it will be. That being said, from experience in flying at different weights you can remember what your on speed approach should be and that allows you to fly more agressively in the pattern by keeping your speed up down wind and on base.

Intel i9-13900k, Asus Z790-E Gaming Wi-fi 2 motherboard, 64gb Corsair DDR5-6400 RGB ram 2x32gb XMP2 profile, 2TB Crucial T700 PCIE 5.0 SSD internal, 2TB Samsung 980 Pro PCIE 4.0 SSD internal, Asus ROG Strix OC GeForce RTX 4090, Corsair 7000X Case with 5 x 120mm side mounted intake fans and 3 x 140mm top mounted exhaust fans, 1 x 140mm rear mounted exhaust fans, front mounted Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm liquid cooler w/Elite LCD with 6 x 120mm fans in 3 push, 3 pull intake configuration, 2 x 32" Asus 2560x1440 displays, TrackIR5 w/pro clip, Thrustmaster Warthog stick and throttle, CH Fighterstick Pro and Pebble Beach Velocity pedals. 

I been doing the VFR Straight Landing training mission. It talks about maintaining speed and angle of attack. It does mention what AOA is... but it never says what the speed is supposed to be. Any ideas anyone?

Thanks!

Flying this Mission I ended up at 145 - 147 Kts with the AOA Indexer showing "on speed".

52d_Sig_Pic3.png

Brakes out, gear down, put the VV in the middle of the staple and the speed will take care of itself based on your loadout.

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

I try to keep it between 170 and 190 as I am on approach, but I am just guessing. I can land it and stop it before I run out of runway, but feel I am missing something.

I think I do land it too fast, as the trainer/narrator mentions to pull back on the stick to help reduce speed, but when I do, darn nose goes up like I am taking off, so I end up bouncing the nose a few times.

Thanks!

Correct F-16 landing procedure: fly a 3 degree glideslope (lower gear at around 10 nm under 300 knots.) with an AOA of 11 degrees with speedbrakes fully extended. This can easliy be achived by keeping flight path marker (FPM, that little plane in your HUD.) on the runway overrun/threshold (the very start of the runway) slighly underneeth the 2.5 degree dashed line that appears once the gear handle is lowered. This will insure you get a good 3 degree glideslope. Additonally with the gear handle down you get the AOA bracket in the hud, (the E-bracket in the F-18 ). To keep the optimum 11 degrees AOA you will want to place the top of the AOA bracket next to the flight path marker. This let's you keep the correct AOA. Once you're at a point 2 seconds before touchdown, after a couple tryies you will figure out when you're two seconds away, you will flare the aircraft. Idle the throttle and pull back on thestick. It is essential that you do not level off, DO NOT worry about airspeed, or AOA, just don't exeed 15 degrees AOA as this will cause a tail strike. 15 degrees AOA is indicated by the bottom of the AOA bracket. When flaring you're goal is to place the plane down, no smashy smashy and no kissy kissy. If you land too softly you can risk water planing if the runway has water on it. Watching HUD recordings of real F-16s landing might be able to help you get a better flare. Once you've touched down you want to lower the nose just for a split second, and they maintain an AOA of 13 degrees. You want to lower the nose to avoid taking off again. Again, do not exeed 15 degrees AOA. When aerobraking you want to aerobrake for as long as possible. Wheel brakes are generally considered more efficient than aerobrakig, but will cause hot brakes (which is a hole other can of worms). Therefor try to aerobrake for as long as possbile, prefferably until the nose falls down by itself. (iirc the minimum runway lenght for the F-16 is 8000 feet, should give you plenty of time to slow down.) Once the nose wheel has thouched down you want to fully extend the speedbrakes by holding the speedbrake switch in the open position. You will also pull full aft stick to use the horizontal tail as a speedbrake. Once rudder input is insufficent for keeping the plane straight you want to centre the rudder pedals and turn on nose wheel steering.That is about it, hope you have a fun time crashing!