AMG-D IR Maverick PRE mode question

Beek87

Hello everyone,

I was looking for an answer on my question but cant find any. Im useing PRE mode with de AGM65D missle.

I slew my TGP (its SOI) to my target and set a point track on it. When i press TMS UP 'handing over' appears in the WPN screen.

After that my TGP doesn't change from T to C. How??

I also got this screen (picture). It should show me a 'close' crosshair but instead i get this (see picture)

Kind regards

69fbcd3f1aee83dde209b639833ced61.thumb.jpg.957eb48a10296d5673cc81f5776e08b3.jpg

7c9d72969b7df6c7abb450c4e4eb800e.jpg.90b428655746f6fcf7a9f678f7a26150.jpg

It's certainly possible there's a bug, Mav employment is a bit wacky right now.

But:

Always attain final lock before launch in Narrow FOV. There is a much higher chance of successful launch in Narrow. IRL switching FOV will break a lock, though that doesn't seem to be modeled in DCS right now. When making a PRE attack with the TGP it's a good idea to preset the Mav to Narrow before hand.

You're still at a pretty long distance in that image, especially for Wide FOV. Zoom in and get closer, and see if the Mav will acquire the target. When making PRE attacks with the TGP at longer ranges, it's not uncommon for the handoff to not complete right away. When that happens continue flying at the target until the Mav successfully locks on.

• Like 1

I am also having similar trouble with the MAV. I was in narrow FOV however before I tried to lock (I always use narrow, wide is useless IMO). I had a situation today where I was in MAN mode, I had a point track on a target right of a comms tower, the circle in the HUD was on the box with the dot, so everything should be nicely slewed, but by WPN screen still showed the MAV was looking at a previous, burnung target LEFT of the comms tower. So I am pretty certain, that the MAV circle on the HUD did not point to the same location as the seeker head in the WPN page...

Also, when the MAV cannot lock I get the same WPN picture as Beek, with no crosshairs whatsoever. What do you do then? Do you simply retry TMS up in the TGP? Or TMS up in WPN? Or do you do TMS down in WPN first? Basically, do you need to "reset" something or can you just keep trying to handover via TMS up in the TGP?

You are pretty far from target (15nm) to get a lock, if you look at the reference image they are at 5nm

NZXT H9 Flow Black | Intel Core i5 13600KF OCed P5.6 E4.4 | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB C30 OCed 6600 C32 | nVidia GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition |  Western Digital SN770 2TB | Gigabyte GP-UD1000GM PG5 ATX 3.0 1000W | SteelSeries Apex 7 | Razer Viper Mini | SteelSeries Artics Nova 7 | LG OLED42C2 | Xiaomi P1 55"

Virpil T-50 CM2 Base + Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | WinWing Orion 2 F16EX Viper Throttle  | WinWing ICP | 3 x Thrustmaster MFD | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Oculus Quest 2

DCS World | Persian Gulf | Syria | Flaming Cliff 3 | P-51D Mustang | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | Fw-109 A-8 | A-10C II Tank Killer | F/A-18C Hornet | F-14B Tomcat | F-16C Viper | F-15E Strike Eagle | M2000C | Ka-50 BlackShark III | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | SuperCarrier

I again gave it several tries today and I do not get it. 1st I have the feeling AUTO mode causes more trouble than good and 2nd I am still of the opinion that the circle on the HUD is not where the MAV is looking in the WPN page.

I was working the famous "target cross" near Batumi on the Hoggit server and my TGP was was slewed to a target standing on one of the runways left of the center of the runway intersection. In my HUD I had the box with the dot and the MAV circle superimposed on oneanother, but both pointing to the center of the runway intersection. I was hitting TMS up like crazy and had a valid point track in TGP, also got the "handover in progress" message. But my MAV did not want to slew to the target left of center. I was in PRE mode, range in the 3-5 nm range, MAV in narrow FOV btw. This example leads to two questions:

1. If the box with the dot is not were my TGP is pointing, what is it then?

2. If pressing TMS up does not get my MAV pointing to what my TGP has locked, is there a way to make it do that? Like re-caging and uncaging again? The CAGE/UNCAGE button only un/cages the TGP even if it is not SOI.

Man the jet really strains my nerves. How can it be so difficult to get it to do what I want it to? Firing a MAV in the A10 takes five clicks: make SPI in TGP with TMS up long, slew everything with China fwd long, change to MAV screen with Coolie left long, lock MAV with with TMS up, fire! In the F16 it shouldbe less clicks but it turns out it is not doing what I thought it would be doing.

Edited by Donglr
edt: added info on engagement parameters

I again gave it several tries today and I do not get it. 1st I have the feeling AUTO mode causes more trouble than good and 2nd I am still of the opinion that the circle on the HUD is not where the MAV is looking in the WPN page.

I was working the famous "target cross" near Batumi on the Hoggit server and my TGP was was slewed to a target standing on one of the runways left of the center of the runway intersection. In my HUD I had the box with the dot and the MAV circle superimposed on oneanother, but both pointing to the center of the runway intersection. I was hitting TMS up like crazy and had a valid point track in TGP, also got the "handover in progress" message. But my MAV did not want to slew to the target left of center. I was in PRE mode, range in the 3-5 nm range, MAV in narrow FOV btw. This example leads to two questions:

1. If the box with the dot is not were my TGP is pointing, what is it then?

2. If pressing TMS up does not get my MAV pointing to what my TGP has locked, is there a way to make it do that? Like re-caging and uncaging again? The CAGE/UNCAGE button only un/cages the TGP even if it is not SOI.

Man the jet really strains my nerves. How can it be so difficult to get it to do what I want it to? Firing a MAV in the A10 takes five clicks: make SPI in TGP with TMS up long, slew everything with China fwd long, change to MAV screen with Coolie left long, lock MAV with with TMS up, fire! In the F16 it shouldbe less clicks but it turns out it is not doing what I thought it would be doing.

1: once airborn warm-up the missle pressing power on

2: when warmed up, press PRE mode and AUTO mode

3: Press FOV in the missle HUD (zoom in)

4: Make sure the WP of your target is selected (u can add WP to the F16). The TGP will look at selected WP

5: When flying towards ur target, make TGP SOI and press TMS right or down (area of point)

6: Slew to your target and press TMS up to lock when you reach 7 nm or less (you can zoom the TGP for better view)

7: Sometimes press TMS up multiple times to get a valid lock.

8: Its annoying but sometimes I get a good lock

There are a ton of bugs with mavericks right now. I think there are even handoff bugs related to which rack you're using (lau-88). There should be a lot of fixes coming on Nov 4th so I would just shelf it until then.