F-16C Speed Issue

Schwerter_105

Ummmmm it seems that currently the F-16C in DCS is over-performing in terms of low altitude max speed, as shown in the attached pictures, currently a F-16C in clean configuration can reach M1.6 in level flight at 10000ft, when the NATOPS chart states that at this altitude the limit speed is M1.4

B649FEDA-A872-4C5E-989D-D2C5684B32F7.thumb.jpeg.e15ab413cc67779dab65cb25131b56e9.jpeg

Edited by Schwerter_105
Removing the NATOPS diagram

Ummmmm it seems that currently the F-16C in DCS is over-performing in terms of low altitude max speed, as shown in the attached pictures, currently a F-16C in clean configuration can reach M1.6 in level flight at 10000ft, when the NATOPS chart states that at this altitude the limit speed is M1.4
See: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=285531

800 knots CAS is the tested limit on the canopy and the engines will do more, as stated in Joe Bill Dryden's Semper Viper article, "Don't Stretch the Limits" is one answer, it could also be another physical limit placed on the engine etc for normal operation.

Also you will probably have to remove the diagram, it's probably against forum rules.

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk

Edited by Snake122

I7-9700KF@5ghz, 32GB DDR4 3200, RTX 3090, Pimax 5k+, Virpil T-50CM2 base with Warthog, F/A-18, T-50cm, and VFX grips, Saitek X65F, Saitek Switch Panel, TM Cougar MFDs, TM TPR pedals, JetSeat and bass pucks, H640P for VRK, PointCtrl

3rd Space Vest project for basic G Seat/G Suit simulation

The viper modeled by ED doesn’t have the F100- PW-229 as listed in the diagram.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

See: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=285531

800 knots CAS is the tested limit on the canopy and the engines will do more, as stated in Joe Bill Dryden's Semper Viper article, "Don't Stretch the Limits" is one answer, it could also be another physical limit placed on the engine etc for normal operation.

Also you will probably have to remove the diagram, it's probably against forum rules.

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the heads up, I removed the diagram. I also have read about the 800 knot test, but shouldn’t the vipers in service have some sort of safety mechanism that limits the max speed? (I’m not sure, just a personal thought)

Edited by Schwerter_105

The viper modeled by ED doesn’t have the F100- PW-229 as listed in the diagram.

Ahh yeah I didn’t notice that, thanks. but I think according to the data sheets from GE and PW the two engines have very similar thrust, so their low-altitude performance shouldn’t have that much of a difference.

P.S. I believe the F100 has a smaller bypass ratio which would in theory make its high speed performance better than the F110 which we have in-game?

no body talks about that over-performing and over speed of F-16C because everyone is happy with that. He can escape so easy. Imagine, even AMRAM 120C can't catch this aircraft. On the other hand the pour F/A-18C is so draggy to a point where you can't even do A2A

ZPfBTNanAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

no body talks about that over-performing and over speed of F-16C because everyone is happy with that. He can escape so easy. Imagine, even AMRAM 120C can't catch this aircraft. On the other hand the pour F/A-18C is so draggy to a point where you can't even do A2A

Because both are a mostly accurate representation of the real FMs. A clean Viper at 1.2M at sea level is still accelerating at .25G per the HAF -1. With 6AAMs and a centerline pylon it just reaches 0 accel at 1.2M at sea level. Clean F/A-18Cs struggle to break 1.05 at SL. Their straight wing works against them when supersonic.

ZPfBTNanAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

Well that is really just an F/A-18C design flaw, it is definitely slower/less agile then a Viper, and once loaded it only gets worse

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well that is really just an F/A-18C design flaw, it is definitely slower/less agile then a Viper, and once loaded it only gets worse

I think design compromise is more apt :smartass:

(Kind of like those stubby barely lift producing wings and fragile undercarriage on the Viper)