[SPI RELATED]How do I use the Maverick?

jonsky7

Hi,

Is it possible, because I can't figure out how, to visually find a target, and then put the TPOD on it, to fire a Maverick at it?

TPOD and Mavs warmed up, both displays showing a picture.

TPOD on the left, Mav on the right.

So I approach a visual target, Air-to-ground mode enable. Mavs set to Vis. I can use the HUD set as SOI to move both the TPOD and MAV seeker around.

But I want to fine tune, so I select the TPOD as SOI, I can't move it, the cursor just blinks rapidly and the picture judders.

Tried all the TMS commands, nothing changes.

It can't be this hard surely??

If you set to Mavs to Pre-plan and have a waypoint on the target area, TPOD slews to waypoint, and you can move it around.

I don't think you can. In this mode TGP is slaved to Mav, not the other way round. So make MAV a SOI and slew it directly.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

I don't think you can. In this mode TGP is slaved to Mav, not the other way round. So make MAV a SOI and slew it directly.

Thanks for the reply, but

When in VIS, the TPOD doesn't move once the HUD is not SOI, it doesn't follow the Mav seeker when that is SOI.

It is also the same in BORE mode, from BORE you can select the MAV as SOI and then slew it around, but not the TPOD, it doesn't make sense, there must be something wrong with it surely. Every other aircraft it is possible to do that.

Edited by jonsky7

If you can VID a target, VIS mode is the fastest to shoot a MAV.

And about the TGP, nope, MAV slave to SPI in PRE mode, not the opposite.

U will need the MARK function(which haven't come online yet) to designate a visual point and make it SPI (for further engagement or DL to others).

Deka Ironwork Tester Team

Thanks for the reply, but

When in VIS, the TPOD doesn't move once the HUD is not SOI, it doesn't follow the Mav seeker when that is SOI.

It is also the same in BORE mode, from BORE you can select the MAV as SOI and then slew it around, but not the TPOD, it doesn't make sense, there must be something wrong with it surely. Every other aircraft it is possible to do that.

Assuming you have a waypoint nearby start in pre plan mode with tgp and mav slaved to it. Toggle your MFD to something other than the weapon page so TGP is visible but mav isn't. With TGP as SOI you can now slew around to find a target of opportunity. The mav will remain slaved to TGP (within gimble limit)

Until boresight is implemented using the TGP to hit things with mav's is going to be rough. Right now the mav has no idea where the tgp is looking so it can't follow it. However the MAV G works correctly but the D's do not. Once boresight is implemented you can find target with TGP handoff to the mav switch to another mav on a different target and handoff to that one. Ultimately you could ripple all 6 mav's on different targets doing this. Will it ever work this way in DCS though I doubt it.

Until boresight is implemented using the TGP to hit things with mav's is going to be rough. Right now the mav has no idea where the tgp is looking so it can't follow it. However the MAV G works correctly but the D's do not. Once boresight is implemented you can find target with TGP handoff to the mav switch to another mav on a different target and handoff to that one. Ultimately you could ripple all 6 mav's on different targets doing this. Will it ever work this way in DCS though I doubt it.

I used the D yesterday and it followed the TGP just fine in PRE mode (within gimbal limits of course).

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Hawk4me

I packed a bunch of 65Ds yesterday and they slaved to the TPOD perfectly. What's missing is the BS feature on the MAV WPN page.

What's your source for being able to ripple 6 MAVs? IIRC you can only select individual stations, not weapons, so you'd only be able to ripple 2 at any time (since we don't have inboard 65s).

I've been seriously spoiled by the Hornet. A little more tricksy to use them off the Falcon.

I'm starting without the targeting pod, to keep it simple. I have issues actually locking the D. Don't think TMS Up does it.

Questions are a burdon, and answers a prison for one's self.

To elaborate on my post I think you are correct that you can ripple 2 right away after the first 2 you would need mark points for the other's to slave quickly lock and fire. Sort of the same way they work in the A10 using mark points. Pretty sure you cannot select additional mav's on the same station as they are selected by the rack itself to prevent mav's hitting eachother coming off the rail.

Im not sure how your D's are following your TGP cause I can't even move my tgp in PRE mode until I TMS up which performs a handoff. After that doing a TMS Up shows hand off in progress but the seeker head doesn't move on the MAV. On some I have been able to get it to work by doing TMS up repeatedly until the seeker line's up. Other time's it just sits there. I've had it lock up a target then go after the original hand off point so something's not working right for sure. Technically though it shouldn't follow the TGP until they have been boresighted.

Edited by hawk4me

To elaborate on my post I think you are correct that you can ripple 2 right away after the first 2 you would need mark points for the other's to slave quickly lock and fire. Sort of the same way they work in the A10 using mark points. Pretty sure you cannot select additional mav's on the same station as they are selected by the rack itself to prevent mav's hitting eachother coming off the rail.

Im not sure how your D's are following your TGP cause I can't even move my tgp in PRE mode until I TMS up which performs a handoff. After that doing a TMS Up shows hand off in progress but the seeker head doesn't move on the MAV. On some I have been able to get it to work by doing TMS up repeatedly until the seeker line's up. Other time's it just sits there. I've had it lock up a target then go after the original hand off point so something's not working right for sure. Technically though it shouldn't follow the TGP until they have been boresighted.

I had problems with the "pre mode" as well. First attack works without any problems, but from the second run on the mav and the tpod dont align anymore. You can see it in the HUD as well, that tpod is looking (and locking) somewhere else as the Mav.

Before you call everything a "bug": RTFM & try again! Thank you. :music_whistling:

I9-9900k, 32 GB RAM, Geforce RTX 2080 TI, 128 GB M2 SSD, 1 TB SSD, Track IR, Warthog Hotas

AGM-65 PRE mode - HUD based TGP slew?

Let's assume that there is a target somewhere in front of me. But I don't have any steerpoints near there. I have TGP and AGM-65s loaded. I want to target that area with TGP using the HUD to find its whereabouts, and locate a ground vehicle with TGP, use the handoff to lock Maverick in PRE mode.

The main problem here is that in PRE mode I can not make the TGP look to where I want it to. If I didn't have AGM-65s and I would be in CCRP mode, I can make the HUD SOI and locate anywhere I see on the HUD, and TGP would look there.

I tried using SP mode of the TGP, but the HUD symbology won't move/show any marker, so I cannot know where the TGP is pointing with respect to HUD.

One solution is using the VIS mode and forget about the TGP and handoff. But that's not the point.

[CENTER]

Signum_Signatur.png

[/CENTER]

@jonsky7 In VIS mode you are not intended to use TPOD so it is normal that it does not move. You are using your visual reference on the HUD and the Maverick seeker. Boresight is the same, except that your crosshair is stabilized on the HUD instead of the ground while the target is unlocked. The only mode where TPOD is useful is the PRE mode. If you have a steerpoint there, in PRE mode is quite easy as shown in ED's video. If you don't have any steerpoints there, I don't know how it is done.

[CENTER]

Signum_Signatur.png

[/CENTER]

I think maverick slew is too sensitive and fast. can we reduce it?

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

Don't think TMS Up does it.

It does. Make sure you're in seeker range <9nm and have the WPN page as SOI.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I had problems with the "pre mode" as well. First attack works without any problems, but from the second run on the mav and the tpod dont align anymore. You can see it in the HUD as well, that tpod is looking (and locking) somewhere else as the Mav.

Yes I've had that too, think that was solved by setting Mav as SOI and TMS down twice.

I also can't get the Mav-Hs to accept an automatic handoff from TGP. Also had the Mav-D get stuck in VIS mode, think I had to select Mav as SOI and TMS up or down.

mavs.trk

Edited by jonsky7

Yes I've had that too, think that was solved by coming out of a2g mode and going back in again.

]

Will try that, thanks.

Before you call everything a "bug": RTFM & try again! Thank you. :music_whistling:

I9-9900k, 32 GB RAM, Geforce RTX 2080 TI, 128 GB M2 SSD, 1 TB SSD, Track IR, Warthog Hotas

Wags video does not work for what we have now. For instance he can select PRE mode and slew around without problems. Unless you do a TMS up you cannot move the TGP at all if the WPN screen is up. Once you do that TMS up it seems like that point gets locked by the mav even if you do a hand off once slewed over the target. The G version mav seems to work fine.

Its a mess atm, pls have your testers test the infrared version completely,

if I select Auto on TGP and press TMS forward, mav just locks the first thing it comes by, if the TGP target is the first one to lock then its fine, and if there are targets near by it will jump through them.

How to reset the Maverick after it failed to lock the TGP target?

Mav WPN page SOI, you lock the wrong target for whatever reason doesn't really matter, if you want to reject that target you press TMS aft and it rejects the target and it makes HUD SOI, on Mav WPN page NOT SOI message.

What should be happening when you press TMS aft, by the manual it should reject the target, should it also reset to bore?

Didn't have the time to play around with TV version but Ill do that as well.

Another thing is that after launching in VIS mode, the next MAV slaves to velocity vector, instead of going to where it was designated. Is this correct?

Genuine question as i do not know if that´s as it should be.

Only way to fire aagain is t WPN SOI, TMS dn and designate again using HUD.

Another thing is that after launching in VIS mode, the next MAV slaves to velocity vector, instead of going to where it was designated. Is this correct?

Genuine question as i do not know if that´s as it should be.

Only way to fire aagain is t WPN SOI, TMS dn and designate again using HUD.

Spudknocker mentioned in his video a simple trick would be the MSL Step Button...