I got F-16C Viper as a birthday present

panton41

My parents have never, in my life, bought me a video game. I always had to buy them with my own money. This has meant mailing money orders to Bethesda, Maryland to order Commodore 64 games from Microprose in the 1990s. (Namely Red Storm Rising, Project Stealth Fighter, F-15E Strike Eagle and Silent Service.) The closest they ever came was when I painted half the house, by myself, to get them to pay for Sublogic Flight Simulator 2 for the Commodore 64.

I go to dinner with my mother a couple times week these days and I mentioned how I was planning to set aside money this month to buy F-16C Viper and she suggested I just let her order it for me for my birthday (in late October). Ironically, she didn't approve me me playing Falcon 4.0 as an early 20-something because it affected my grades in college.

Windows 10 64-bit | Ryzen 9 3900X 4.00GHz (OC) | Asus Strix B450-F | 64GB Corsair Vengeance @ 3000MHz | two Asus GeForce 1070 Founders Edition (second card used for CUDA only) | two Silicon Power 1TB NVMe in RAID-0 | Samsung 32" 1440p Monitor | two ASUS 23" 1080p monitors | ASUS Mixed Reality VR | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind

A-10C Warthog | AV-8B Harrier (N/A) | F/A-18C Hornet | F-16C Viper | F-14B Tomcat | UH-1H Huey | P-51D Mustang | F-86F Saber | Persian Gulf | NTTR

Hey now, thanks Mom! :-)

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

I guess Mum's no longer worried about your college grades. :) I played F4 during my college years as well. As a parent now, when i think about all the stuff that college kids can do with their time, I hope mine will be spending their time on flight simulators!

OFF: ^ this is so true buddy

ON: Happy B-day mate! :joystick::pilotfly:

Nice - your story brings back memories :) I had Project Stealth Fighter for my Spectrum. Never got any games as presents either, but got a lot of computers with the hope of me getting an interest for that. Played a lot of computer games that was not appreciated but ended up as a CIO so I guess their investment payed off anyway ;) Thanks to those flight sims way back when that was the spark for the developer career. I don't think that I would have kept my interest in computers without Fighter Pilot, Stealth Fighter and Red Baron etc...

And imagine if we could have seen DCS in VR back then playing Fighter Pilot at 2 FPS to show a flat landscape with a wireframe airfield that looked like a shoe box. And here the kids complain when they cannot get 90 FPS with full details in their Index headsets

Luxury!

Edited by mazex

Ryzen 7800X3D | Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX MB | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | RTX 3080 GPU | Sound BlasterX AE-5 | Windows 11 Pro x64 | Virpil T-50 Throttle | T50 CM2 Grip + WarBRD | VKB T-rudder MK IV | Asus PG279Q 1440p | Valve Index VR | Samsung 980 Pro as system disk and DCS on separate Intel 665P NVME SSD