[RESOLVED]AI Aircraft Detection of SAMs and Ground Units

Shadow KT

When using AI Aircraft, the moment a SAM turns its radar on it shows up on the map, so far no issue. When the SAM turns its radar off, even moves ... it keeps being spotted and shown on the map (I believe this was not the case a month or two ago, never the less it is a serious issue if using AI Aircraft).

The SAM can stay spotted for 10 or more minutes until it just stops being spotted or the AI aircraft is at pretty far range.

Ground units when spotted by an AI Aircraft (at a reasonable range 5ish nm, with no targetting pod) will stay spotted, even if the AI aircraft which spotted them flies 50nm away and hits the deck (meaning there is no line of sight, there is no sensor that can be spotting them). Spotting goes away only when the AI aircraft which did it dies or is despawned.

These two might be separate bugs, but I got tracks for all of em.

AI AIrcraft SAM Detect AWACS.trk

AI AIrcraft SAM Detect.trk

AI AIrcraft Ground Units Detect.trk

Behavior is shown in this video I made from 5:35 to the 12th minute:

vCsXZu1fIeM?t=335

Edited by Shadow KT

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

• ED Team

We would prefer one issue per bug report it makes thing so much easier.

Ground units when spotted by an AI Aircraft (at a reasonable range 5ish nm, with no targetting pod) will stay spotted, even if the AI aircraft which spotted them flies 50nm away and hits the deck (meaning there is no line of sight, there is no sensor that can be spotting them). Spotting goes away only when the AI aircraft which did it dies or is despawned.

This cannot be reproduced internally so likely fixed already.

Regarding AI aircraft I think this is intended behaviour, they have perfect sight and use of sensors.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Regarding AI aircraft I think this is intended behaviour, they have perfect sight and use of sensors.

Detecting SAM Radars is fine for all modern aircraft as they have RWRs. Also, I would be fine with having a "cone" in front of AI aircraft (not players) that have air-to-ground radar/targeting pods that detects other ground units and shows them on the map for all to see (would simulate the ai using the air-to-ground radar/targeting pod).

However, there are others that I believe should not be able to detect non-SAM vehicles at all unless very close to the ground, such as tankers... and the AWACS models we have in the game at the moment (although I might be wrong about the AWACS part). Detecting units while they are flying closer to the ground would simulate the pilots physically being able to see the units, but they should not be able to detect ground units, showing them on the map for the team's tactical commander, when flying at high altitude.

Edited by MobiSev

Modules owned:

FC3, M-2000C, Mig-21bis, F-5E, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, KA-50, Mi-8, F-14A&B, JF-17

Didn't understand this part, what exactly are you talking about ?

Having an RWR doesn't mean you know the SAMs exact location, even when it has its radar off and it has moved (for MobiSev)

'Shadow'

Having an RWR doesn't mean you know the SAMs exact location, even when it has its radar off and it has moved (for MobiSev)

The statement I made had more of a "this isn't how it works, but it's understandable at least" kind of meaning regarding the SAM radars. But yeah, it would only be acceptable if the radars are emitting. If they are not emitting, then you would expect them to only be detected via the other part of my comment:

... Also, I would be fine with having a "cone" in front of AI aircraft (not players) that have air-to-ground radar/targeting pods that detects other ground units and shows them on the map for all to see (would simulate the ai using the air-to-ground radar/targeting pod).

However, there are others that I believe should not be able to detect non-SAM vehicles at all unless very close to the ground, such as tankers... and the AWACS models we have in the game at the moment (although I might be wrong about the AWACS part). Detecting units while they are flying closer to the ground would simulate the pilots physically being able to see the units, but they should not be able to detect ground units, showing them on the map for the team's tactical commander, when flying at high altitude.

Unfortunately some of the ai seems to be able to detect ground units unrealistically at the moment.

Modules owned:

FC3, M-2000C, Mig-21bis, F-5E, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, KA-50, Mi-8, F-14A&B, JF-17

• 6 months later...

Seems like the AI spotting everything in a 50nm radius and then keeping them spotted even if no line of sight is still present.

Really ruins a PvP mission if you are trying to use Combined Arms and AI aircraft, for example drones

Edited by Shadow KT

'Shadow'

I did a mission and found the same problem. If you set in payload a TV targeting missile. Every SAM unit will be spotted and destroyed at first even when SAM never turn radar ON.

My solution was: put every SAM inside forest, when they are close enough activate a trigger to move SAMs out forward with radar ON on RED. Worked!

PS: see tracks on this post for more info. https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3600901&postcount=12

Edited by pepin1234

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I was testing some time ago something similar to this. The solution I found was to activate the radar unit's AI via trigger when part of coalition aircraft in zone, and deactivate radar unit's AI when all coalition out of zone. I was actually testing this in order to optimise performance by only having only the absolute necessary amount of AI for the mission in question. What happened was that the SEAD units would only engage active AI AD units or so was my perception.

Banned by cunts.

apache01.png

About the video. The bug explanation about SAM position still on map even when SAM changes position. For my understanding is not clearly a bug. What I understand they still can record your position on his MFD moving map ones visual.

So my advice for developers: better link the spot position with a trigger zone 300m. Ones unit spotted leave this area they should not be visual on map

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It has nothing to do with having a visual contact at all. The AI plane can be 50nm away, terrain masked and it will still report units positions until it dies, lands or goes to roughly 60nm away

'Shadow'