Flaps switch on HOTAS Warthog

Are there key bindings I can use to immediately set the flaps to UP / MVR / DN position, regardless of the position they're currently in? I'm working on a custom TM HOTAS Warthog profile, but I can't find any key bindings that will let me do this with the flap switch. All I could find is the flaps up/flaps down bindings, which doesn't really work with the way the flap switch is laid out.

I'd rather not use the default DCS mappings because I wanted to change some stuff around (add TrackIR centering, use APU switch for landing gear, a couple of other things).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My rig: i7 3770K oc'd to 4.7 GHz | Asus Maximus 5 Extreme mobo | 4 x 8 GB Crucial Ballistix Elite DDR3 | 2 x EVGA GTX 680 in SLI | Asus Xonar Phoebus audio card | OCZ Vertex 4 512 GB SSD

My peripherals: Dell U3011 30" at 2560x1600 | TM HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Combat Pedals | TrackIR 5 | Logitech G13 | Sennheiser HD 558 | Razer Black Widow | Razer Imperator

as far as i know all switches on the throttle can only be programed via the T.A.R.G.E.T software.

you will have to have a go at that one dude.

-Corsair Obsidian 800D

-Corsair H50

-Corsair 1600mhz 7-7-7-20

-Intel i7 930 @ 3.99ghz

-EVGA X58 Classified

-EVGA GTX480 @2 In SLI

-EVGA GTX 285 Physx

-Silverstone 1500 psu

-Logitech G940 (retired)

-TM Warthog HOTAS

-42" Sony X-Series 1080P LCD

-17" Dell Acc Monitor @2

as far as i know all switches on the throttle can only be programed via the T.A.R.G.E.T software.

you will have to have a go at that one dude.

That's what I'm saying, I have a T.A.R.G.E.T. profile that I'm working on, I just can't find the key bindings in DCS that I need to bind to the flap switch in order to make it work like it does in the real aircraft.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My rig: i7 3770K oc'd to 4.7 GHz | Asus Maximus 5 Extreme mobo | 4 x 8 GB Crucial Ballistix Elite DDR3 | 2 x EVGA GTX 680 in SLI | Asus Xonar Phoebus audio card | OCZ Vertex 4 512 GB SSD

My peripherals: Dell U3011 30" at 2560x1600 | TM HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Combat Pedals | TrackIR 5 | Logitech G13 | Sennheiser HD 558 | Razer Black Widow | Razer Imperator

That's what I'm saying, I have a T.A.R.G.E.T. profile that I'm working on, I just can't find the key bindings in DCS that I need to bind to the flap switch in order to make it work like it does in the real aircraft.

If You go *\DCS A-10C Beta\Config\Input\Aircrafts\A-10C\keyboard\Keyboard.lua (or default, or new one based on default to have a original copy - You got my drift?) and overwrite section:

[225] = 
       {
           ["combos"] = 
           {
               [1] = 
               {
                   ["key"] = "F",
               }, -- end of [1]
           }, -- end of ["combos"]
           ["name"] = "Flaps Down",
           ["category"] = "Systems",
           ["down"] = 145,
       }, -- end of [225]
       [226] = 
       {
           ["combos"] = 
           {
               [1] = 
               {
                   ["key"] = "F",
                   ["reformers"] = 
                   {
                       [1] = "LShift",
                   }, -- end of ["reformers"]
               }, -- end of [1]
           }, -- end of ["combos"]
           ["name"] = "Flaps Up",
           ["down"] = 146,
       }, -- end of [226]
       [227] = 
       {
           ["up"] = 75,
           ["name"] = "Wheel Brake On/Off",
           ["combos"] = 
           {
               [1] = 
               {
                   ["key"] = "W",
               }, -- end of [1]
           }, -- end of ["combos"]
           ["down"] = 74,
       }, -- end of [227]

with as follows:

[225] = 
       {
           ["combos"] = 
           {
               [1] = 
               {
                   ["key"] = "F",
               }, -- end of [1]
           }, -- end of ["combos"]
           ["name"] = "Flaps Down",
           ["down"] = 1049,
       }, -- end of [225]
       [226] = 
       {
           ["combos"] = 
           {
               [1] = 
               {
                   ["key"] = "F",
                   ["reformers"] = 
                   {
                       [1] = "LShift",
                   }, -- end of ["reformers"]
               }, -- end of [1]
           }, -- end of ["combos"]
           ["name"] = "Flaps Mvr",
           ["down"] = 1048,
       }, -- end of [226]
       [227] = 
       {
           ["combos"] = 
           {
               [1] = 
               {
                   ["key"] = "W",
               }, -- end of [1]
           }, -- end of ["combos"]
           ["name"] = "Flaps Up",
           ["down"] = 1047,
       }, -- end of [227]

You will have:

"W" - Flaps Up [class button]

LShift + "F" - Flaps Mvr [class button]

"F" - Flaps Down [class button]

You can assign those in TARGET then. These acts as buttons now, NOT toggle class, so You can press them as many times You want to get desired Flaps Position (going from Up to Down without MVR as well). As You might notice I overwrite Brake section (default 227 section with "W") to make it easier to see in Controls->Systems for You, but feel free to change it to suit Your needs. With a little bit research over files You can customable many things in pretty ergonomic value (such as adding Emergency Disconnect Lever to TM WH paddle switch by adding section to HOTAS lua file).

Hope that helps!

Hey slimakwielki,

would that also work for the fuel flow switches and stuff? I mean are there ALL necessary functions which are (in parts) missing at the in-game options???

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asus ROG STRIX Z390-F Gaming, Intel Core i7 9700k , 32gb Corsair DDR4-3200

Asus RTX 2070 super, Samsung 970 EVO Plus M2, Win10 64bit, Acer XZ321QU (WQHD)

TM HOTAS Warthog, SAITEK Rudder Pedals, TIR 5

Hey slimakwielki,

would that also work for the fuel flow switches and stuff? I mean are there ALL necessary functions which are (in parts) missing at the in-game options???

I'm pretty sure. In-game options has everything, but not well described/presented which leads to confusion...

The fuel flow switches appear as toggles while I need them in "on" and "off" states for a propper TARGET-Mapping.

I'll have a look at it. TY!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Not trying to be obnoxious, but I have track IR center and pause on the unsed mic switch positions (up and push) and the gear on the autopilot button with the paddle switch as a modifier, all from within DCS without having to run TARGET at all. Its really easy to do and you don't have another layer of software running to slow things down.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GA97XSLI

Core i7 4790 @ 4.0 Ghz

MSI GTX 1080ti

32 Mb RAM DDR3-2133

512GB SSD for DCS

HP Reverb VR HMD

Thrustmaster Warthog & MFG Crosswind

snip

I'll try that when I get home, thanks a lot!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 months later...

Like Mad Dog says above, it may be possible to achieve what you want without using TARGET software at all. TrackIR identifies joystick clicks just fine like other software such as TeamSpeak3, too. When mapping the keys, just make sure that there are no buttons depressed in your HOTAS by checking the status in the game controller section of Windows control panel first. Some software have problems otherwise.

In A-10C you can add functions to the joystick column so that they are clickable with the ADD function by editing the Input config files. Just take the rows you need from default.lua in Config\Input\Aircrafts\A-10C\joystick and add them into your joystick profile. You may need to remove the custom mappings saved by the sim (the file with the long alphanumeric ID string of the game controller) so that the initial settings are read again from the files in the above folder. The "down/pressed" and "combos" may need to be checked for the rows added to the joystick profile file.

Intel Core i7 9700K@4.6GHz|ASUS Strix Z390-H|G.Skill DDR4 32GB@3200MHz|MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Ti|2xSSD 500GB Samsung 970 EVO M.2 RAID0|SSD Samsung 850 EVO|Corsair HX 750W|Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout|UWQHD 34"|Valve Index|Logitech G9|MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000|VPC WarBRD Base+MongoosT-50CM2 Grip|VPC MongoosT-50 Throttle|VKB T-Rudder|Beyerdynamic DT770|Boom mic|Windows 10 Home

• 3 months later...

Programming the flaps switch in TARGET

I'm working on a custom TM HOTAS Warthog profile, but I can't find any key bindings that will let me do this with the flap switch. All I could find is the flaps up/flaps down bindings, which doesn't really work with the way the flap switch is laid out.

Hey DM(cool handle, great album!)

I just got the TM WH and I struggled with the exact same thing. It seemed like there was a keycommand missing in the control options. The solution is to do the programming in TARGET.

Start by assigning the 'F' key to the flaps down part of the switch in TARGET. Then assign the 'L-Shift+F' to the flaps up part of the switch. Now for the solution to the mvr problem.

We need to set up the mvr part of the switch, so that it sends an up-command when coming from the down position and a down-command when switching from the up-position.

To do this, you need to use the release function in TARGET. On the flaps up part of the switch,assign the flaps down key and program this to release instead of press. Do the same for the downpart of the switch, assign a flaps up command to the switch with a release setting.

I also linked a led on command to the flaps up release parameter. The led off command is linked to the flaps up state of the switch.

And that's it!

i7 930-6 GB-Win7 64-Vertex SSD-Spinpoint F3 raid 0-HD 5970-1920x1080-HOTAS WARTHOG

Yeah, I also did the Flaps with press/release.

No I'm interested how you're going to do the Fuel Flow switches!!!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

xpadder.

Rafael

Ryzen 7 1800x @ 4ghz | MSI GTX 980ti | 32gb DDR4 Ballistix 2400Mhz | Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero (wi-fi) | 480Gb Kingston NVMe ssd | Western Digital 1TB x2 | EVGA 850w PSU | Noctua NH-D14 | NZXT S240 | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | 4k 50" Philips android TV | Dell P2418D | Oculus Rift S | Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas

I would suggest mapping DirectInput values to all those Thottle switches and let DX API detect OFF states by design.

Keystrokes are on-off transitions with synchronization issues and they defeat the very purpose of the device.

Even worse, allowing depressed keys to be persistent will inevitably have devastating results when keyboard focus gets directed to the desktop or any application window.

I would suggest mapping DirectInput values to all those Thottle switches and let DX API detect OFF states by design.

I still don't really understand how. Mapping a DX-Button to the wanted knob, and then, with running profile, press the knob within the (device) controls setup?

Even worse, allowing depressed keys to be persistent will inevitably have devastating results when keyboard focus gets directed to the desktop or any application window.

That's exactly my main problem so far with target profiles, at least for the throttle-base switches. Besides that mapping by keypresses is kinda impossible for the fuel-flow switches.

However, seems like I get there try by try... :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This is how:

include "target.tmh"
int main()
{
   Exclude(&HCougar); Exclude(&T16000); Exclude(&LMFD); Exclude(&RMFD);
   if(Init(&EventHandle)) return 1;
   th();
}
int th() {
   MapKey(&Throttle, SC      , DX1 );

MapKey(&Throttle, MSP     , DX2 );
   MapKey(&Throttle, MSU     , DX3 );
   MapKey(&Throttle, MSR     , DX4 );
   MapKey(&Throttle, MSD     , DX5 );
   MapKey(&Throttle, MSL     , DX6 );

.../...

MapKey(&Throttle, IDLERON , DX31);
   MapKey(&Throttle, IDLELON , DX31);

MapKey(&Throttle, CSU     , DXHATUP);
   MapKey(&Throttle, CSR     , DXHATRIGHT);
   MapKey(&Throttle, CSD     , DXHATDOWN);
   MapKey(&Throttle, CSL     , DXHATLEFT);
}
int EventHandle(int type, alias o, int x) { DefaultMapping(&o, x); }

If you would like to see this working in Device Analyzer, the completed code is in a file named th_DX_main.tmc in the archive DCS_ivanwfr_110607.zip attached to the bottom of this post.

All you have to do is to run this file in TARGET Script Editor and launch Device Analyzer.

However, to actually have it working with DCS A-10C, controls have to be altered by loading the related configuration file TM_Warthog_Combined_1108_ivanwfr.lua which goes with it. This would be the equivalent of the P&P Throttle part.

As for the Joystick, no need to reserve DX slots for that one - a good thing BTW as there are no more available ;) - keyboard mapping is quite natural as all its switches are the pulse type and keyboard event mappings are absolutely the way to go.

• 7 years later...

For completeness in the thread, the TARGET code solution mentioned by SsgtHolland is (for anyone else looking):

// Flight Control: Flaps
MapKey(&Throttle, FLAPD, PULSE + Flaps_down);
MapKeyR(&Throttle, FLAPD, PULSE + Flaps_up);
MapKey(&Throttle, FLAPU, PULSE + Flaps_up);
MapKeyR(&Throttle, FLAPU, PULSE + Flaps_down);

Major Wintermute :joystick:

PC: i7 4770K - ASUS Z97 Deluxe - 16 Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080 - 27" BenQ XL2720Z - HOTAS Warthog - TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals - MFD Cougar pack - TrackIR 5

DCS Modules: AJS-37 Viggen - A-10C I/II Warthog - F-16C Viper - F-14B Tomcat - F/A-18C Hornet - Su-33 Flanker-D - Su-25 Frogfoot - P-51D Mustang

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]