AAR - Boom clips through cockpit

Wyverex

I've been practicing air refueling a lot the past days. My technique has improved to a point where I can fly pretty stable and slowly creep up to the tanker. Then the boom raises, I keep creeping up and want to make contact. So far, so good. Very often, the boom then tries to connect but it doesn't and instead just clips through my airplane and I have to retry. This happens so often that it's becoming frustrating and I'm not sure if my technique still isn't good enough or if this is a bug. At first I thought I might be closing too fast. But even if closing very slowly, the issue occurs. Does anyone else have this problem?

are you pressing the nose wheel steering button after the boom disconnects? This resets the refueling system and makes it ready to (re)accept the boom

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490 F-GAMING | i7-10700K | RTX3090 TUF OC | 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz | Windows 10 64bit | Acer Predator X34P | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog | TM T.Flight Rudder Pedals

A-10C | A-10C II | F/A-18C | F-16C | FC3 | PG | Syria | SC

Home made F-16C simulator
Forum Thread: DCS World forum - The Viper Project - Home Cockpits Instagram: 1583142 copia.jpg The Viper Project YouTube youtube-icon-512x512-874lspju.png The Viper Project - Youtube channel

Yes the refueling indicator shows Ready.

Could this maybe related to low frame rate? I think I had around 28 fps in that scenario and the boom didn't seem to move very smoothly in general, I suppose it's not updated each frame and low frame rate could make it miss the receptacle?

Yes the refueling indicator shows Ready.

Could this maybe related to low frame rate? I think I had around 28 fps in that scenario and the boom didn't seem to move very smoothly in general, I suppose it's not updated each frame and low frame rate could make it miss the receptacle?

28 fps is pretty low. That could be the problem.

Buzz

Its because there is no collision model for the boom...its "insubstantial" so ghosts through your cockpit if you clip it...

I'd agree it should be "solid" and able to damage/be damaged - but that wouldn't be very popular (especially on MP servers where every tanker would routinely be coming odff station and waiting for a replacement to be launched LOL)

Airbag_signatur.png

Hm, so I disabled MSAA which gave me a big perf boost and I'm flying with ~50 fps now. Still happens.

I can't really see the refueling lights from my position (and AFAIK they are more used by aircraft that have the receptacle further back?) but judging from other videos I've seen, my height seems to be rather ok.

I've made a short video to show the issue. Watching it back again now, I'm wondering if my closing speed was just too high?

1. The boom WILL come thru cockpit, as Jason said - it has no collision model.

2. While training remove clouds or place tanker above them or under them.

3. You are to high.

PS Lights are dedicated for plane with fuel port more in the back, but in the begining they'll help you learn correct height.

I'm not sure if my technique still isn't good enough or if this is a bug.

It's mostly your technique. You're running over the boom. It clips through because it does not have collision detection...due to various reasons. But the clipping through the cockpit is your fault. You give it nowhere else to go, and are in bad position to not allow it to perform it's escape maneuver.

As Foka says, get rid of the clouds and practice more.

Thanks guys, that was very helpful. Managed to fill up for the first time yesterday! (Only took 30 minutes :music_whistling:)

Turns out it's mostly a speed issue for me. Apparently you have to almost come to a standstill for a short while so that the boom can make the connection. I was always slightly to fast and overshot.

Thanks for the video Foka!