Lights assigned by axis

JackFlash

• 4 months later...

Frankly I’m getting more and more disappointed when it comes to the A-10C II. I thought we were getting a brand new version of the airplane. Instead we got the exact same thing with a HMCS and some new weapons. All other new ED modules have light axis. I think we can demand such a feature in a new module. 

Edited by JackFlash

My latest project, the Multi Function Button Box can be found at Kickstarter.

36 minutes ago, JackFlash said:

I thought we were getting a brand new version of the airplane.

Wasn't it always marketed as an upgrade rather than a built-from-scratch kind of new development? At least that was always my understanding.

It's also worth considering all the stuff more or less under the hood that's been updated, including simple things like switches with new default positions or the new initial viewpoint. And in terms of SA, I simply can't get over how brilliant the HMCS is. That alone would have been worth the upgrade to me. Add to that all the backports to the old A-10C (one) module, the FM updates, and the push to fix a lot of old bugs and fulfil old community requests, and I'd say ED did deliver what they promised, if not more.

Not saying your request is unreasonable. Just saying disappointment is a matter of perspective. And yeah, there's some ancient stuff still not addressed, but these days I'm enjoying the A-10C more than ever.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

+1

However, if you want a solution that will tide you over until it happens:

1 - Find C:\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\A-10C_2\Input\A-10C_2\joystick\default.lua (or equivalent location for your installation).  Make a backup copy just in case.

2 - Open it, find the line:      axisCommands = {

3 - Add the following just below it:

-- extra axes
{action = 3011, cockpit_device_id  = 54, name = _('UHF Radio Volume Axis'), category = _('Extra - Radio Volumes')},
{action = 3005, cockpit_device_id  = 55, name = _('VHF AM Radio Volume Axis'), category = _('Extra - Radio Volumes')},
{action = 3005, cockpit_device_id  = 56, name = _('VHF FM Radio Volume Axis'), category = _('Extra - Radio Volumes')},

{action = 3005, cockpit_device_id  = 49, name = _('Flood Lights'), category = _('Extra - Lighting')},
{action = 3001, cockpit_device_id  = 49, name = _('Engine Inst Lights'), category = _('Extra - Lighting')},
{action = 3002, cockpit_device_id  = 49, name = _('Flight Inst Lights'), category = _('Extra - Lighting')},
{action = 3003, cockpit_device_id  = 49, name = _('Aux Inst Lights'), category = _('Extra - Lighting')},
{action = 3009, cockpit_device_id  = 49, name = _('Formation Lights'), category = _('Extra - Lighting')},
{action = 3006, cockpit_device_id  = 49, name = _('Console Lights'), category = _('Extra - Lighting')},

4 - Save it and try it out.  There should now be bind-able axes for radio volumes and the lights.  It is not perfect, though, as you'll need to mess about with custom curves to get something that behaves close to properly, but it is still a lot better than pressing and holding buttons in my opinion!

5 - The file may get replaced when updates happen, so either keep a copy to switch in manually, or use OVGME or something to turn it into a mod.

Now...  if they'd get the HSI course/heading knobs to be bind-able axes I'd really be delighted.  Tried the above approach with those and couldn't make it behave the way you'd expect.

3 hours ago, Seapiglet said:

+1

1 - Find C:\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\A-10C_2\Input\A-10C_2\joystick\default.lua (or equivalent location for your installation).  Make a backup copy just in case.

-- extra axes
{action = 3011, cockpit_device_id  = 54, name = _('UHF Radio Volume Axis'), category = _('Extra - Radio Volumes')},
{action = 3005, cockpit_device_id  = 55, name = _('VHF AM Radio Volume Axis'), category = _('Extra - Radio Volumes')},
{action = 3005, cockpit_device_id  = 56, name = _('VHF FM Radio Volume Axis'), category = _('Extra - Radio Volumes')},

{action = 3005, cockpit_device_id  = 49, name = _('Flood Lights'), category = _('Extra - Lighting')},
{action = 3001, cockpit_device_id  = 49, name = _('Engine Inst Lights'), category = _('Extra - Lighting')},
{action = 3002, cockpit_device_id  = 49, name = _('Flight Inst Lights'), category = _('Extra - Lighting')},
{action = 3003, cockpit_device_id  = 49, name = _('Aux Inst Lights'), category = _('Extra - Lighting')},
{action = 3009, cockpit_device_id  = 49, name = _('Formation Lights'), category = _('Extra - Lighting')},
{action = 3006, cockpit_device_id  = 49, name = _('Console Lights'), category = _('Extra - Lighting')},

4 - Save it and try it out.  There should now be bind-able axes for radio volumes and the lights.  It is not perfect, though, as you'll need to mess about with custom curves to get something that behaves close to properly, but it is still a lot better than pressing and holding buttons in my opinion!

5 - The file may get replaced when updates happen, so either keep a copy to switch in manually, or use OVGME or something to turn it into a mod.

Now...  if they'd get the HSI course/heading knobs to be bind-able axes I'd really be delighted.  Tried the above approach with those and couldn't make it behave the way you'd expect.

Awesome! I have to try this out. 
Regarding the HSI since there is no limit to the turn of the CRS-nob I don’t think this ever will be possible. 

My latest project, the Multi Function Button Box can be found at Kickstarter.

True, the A-10C II has only a very minimal set of axis commands.

It also lacks commands like Clockwise/Counterclockwise (1 step at a time) for some of its multi-position switches.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

+1

To add a few more to what Seapiglet already gave - if you really have too many pots to spare 😉

{action = 3007, cockpit_device_id = 5, name = _('RWR Volume Knob')},
{action = 3016, cockpit_device_id = 58, name = _('TACAN Audio Volume')},
{action = 3014, cockpit_device_id = 58, name = _('ILS Audio Volume')},

I haven't checked all these axes for the Hawg, but at least most of them (if not all) will require settings ("Axis Tune") as in the picture below.

P.S. If you lack axes in any plane, it's good to go to clickabledata.lua and see what's there. Some planes acutally do have lots of axes, but they're not "dragged out" into \input\joystick\ files. For instance, Mi-8 has quite a lot of them, but they're buried in the clickabledata.lua.

curve.png

• Thanks 1

i7-8700K 32GB 2060(6GB) 27"@1080p TM Hawg HOTAS TPR TIR5 SD-XL 2xSD+ HC Bravo button/pot box

• 4 weeks later...

Hello !

How do you determine or find the code to use for the "action" label ?

For example :

Il I look into the vanilla default.lua, the only reference I can find is about seat elevation :

--Seat Adjustment
{down = 3004, up = 3004, cockpit_device_id = 39, value_down = -1.0,    value_up = 0.0, name = _('Seat Adjustment Up'), category = _('Systems')},
{down = 3005, up = 3005, cockpit_device_id = 39, value_down = 1.0,    value_up = 0.0, name = _('Seat Adjustment Down'), category = _('Systems')},

Not so much relation with Radio buttons nor Flood Lights ^^

I tried to understand how to change the same for another plane (C-101 by instance) and add some more axis for rotaries or sliders.

Thanks !

image.png

06th Multirole Helicopter Regiment

Bataillon d'appui aérien - Escadrille HOG

for the "action" code you open "clickabledata.lua". Find the command and its button number. Add 3000 to the button number. That's yur action code.

For the cockpit_device_id code: note the mnemonic device_id from "clickabledata.lua". Open "devices.lua" and look for that device. At the end of its line you will find a number. That's your numeric cockpit_device_id.

Both .lua files are usually in "...\Cockpit\Scripts", for some modules in ...\Cockpit\.

• Thanks 2

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

• 3 months later...
On 3/5/2021 at 1:05 PM, Seapiglet said:

+1

-- extra axes

OK, did this but under 
Axis in 'Adjust Controls' none of these exist.

Checked the 'clickabledata.lua' and for example I find

elements["PTR-LGHTCP-FLIGHT-INST"]        = default_axis(_("Flight Instruments Lights"), devices.LIGHT_SYSTEM, device_commands.Button_2, 292, nil, nil, nil, nil, nil, {70, -135},{180,-45})

in devices.lua I find

devices["LIGHT_SYSTEM"]                = counter()--49

so in default.lua I put

Currently running the latest DCS beta and none of the codes have changed so I dont know why it doesnt show up.

SOLVED:

Edited by skypickle
added solution

4930K @ 4.5, 32g ram, TitanPascal