Throttles from Cutoff to Idle not working on cold start

I have confirmed this only happens on A-10C II and not on the original A-10C

If you do cold start and throttles are in cutoff position, you cannot move throttles into IDLE position until you cycle throttle out of idle value and back to idle.

If using Warthog HOTAS, this means coming out of cutoff, then pushing throttles bit up, back to IDLE and then to cutoff, then it works.

I believe this is because throttles are not internally set to 0 on Cold Start and will IDLE/Cutoff detent is inhibited until throttles are at 0, as throttles do show up visually as being at zero, but nothing is shown on controls indicator about position.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Put throttles on IDLE

2. Start cold and dark mission

3. Try starting engines with keyboard bindings (RCtrl+Home / RAlt+Home) -> nothing happens

4. Cycle throttles up and down

5. Try starting engines again with keyboard bindings (RCtrl+Home / RAlt+Home) -> throttles will jump to IDLE detent as expected.

Current workaround is to cycle throttles max and idle and back to cutoff on after start of the mission.

This has always been iffy with all modules with any type of toggle input. DCS has a hard time recognizing switches that are already on at the start of a mission, that includes WH throttles in the cut-off position. I dunno if it's a bug so much as it's "just the way it is". It will also forget they're on if you adjust controls in the middle of a mission, always been that way. You can try the "synchronize HOTAS controls" option, but I've found that causes more problems.

• Like 1

Intel 9600K@4.9GHz, Asus Z390, 32GB DDR4, EVGA RTX 3070, Custom Water Cooling, 970 EVO 1TB NVMe

34" UltraWide 3440x1440 Curved Monitor, 21" Touch Screen MFD monitor, TIR5

My Pit Build, VKB Gunfighter Pro w/WH Grip, TMWH Throttle, MFG Crosswinds W/Combat Pedals, Cougar MFDs, Custom A-10C panels, Custom Helo Collective, SimShaker with Transducer

I just have to move my throttles from off, to idle, back to off - without having to move to mil power. It is like this in every aircraft for me. Agree with the member above, synchronization of controls option is there, but typically is more of a bother than just knowing to do this when entering a cold and dark airframe. Been like this for years.

Cheers,

Ziptie

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

I just have to move my throttles from off, to idle, back to off - without having to move to mil power. It is like this in every aircraft for me. Agree with the member above, synchronization of controls option is there, but typically is more of a bother than just knowing to do this when entering a cold and dark airframe. Been like this for years.

Cheers,

Ziptie

I do a similar thing.

When spawning in a cold dark jet I have both throttles set to idle, first thing I do is lift them over the idle/cut off detent to the cut off position to synchronise the controls, then leave them there until engine start. Doing this they work first time every time.

I do this in all modules I have the idle/cut off mapped to, as the issue is module wide. Once you have moved the throttle to the cut off position DCS knows where the throttle position is then, and it works perfectly after that.

Edited by bart

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, I'm really puzzled here. I use the TM Warthog throttle and I was used to go through OFF/IDLE/OFF at the beginning of a cold start mission in the old Hog and most other modules. But I'm observing a different behaviour in the new Hog's cold start mission now:

1. When the mission starts, both my physical throttle levers are in the IDLE position. The sim however shows both levers in the OFF position, and even if I move my physical throttle levers to MAX, the sim still shows them in OFF.

2. As soon as I enter the command 'RAlt + Home', the left lever in the sim moves forward to IDLE, and I can now move it with my physical throttle. Same for the right throttle lever with 'RCtrl + Home'.

3. Same behaviour with the Start Procedure (Auto Start). My physical throttle levers are in IDLE at mission start, but the sim shows them in OFF. And as soon as the Start Procedure macro shows "Left Engine Start", the left throttle lever in the cockpit moves to IDLE and the engine starts cranking up. Etc.

I could not believe what I saw and therefore repeated the exercise several times, even with re-starting DCS World. Why is my Hog II behaving differently from what you guys say?

Edit:

1. I disabled all my mods, no change

2. I tried the same with the original Hog, and it behaves the same.

3. This is all in Open Beta. But I just tried in the stable release, and it behaves in the same way.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

Check your toggle switches on the Warthog Throttle.

-> Fuel and Ignition to Norm.

Had the same issues on my first startup after years.

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

• 3 months later...

I have to follow the Off/Idle/Off procedure as described by some, too - no matter whether Sync Cockpit Controls is checked or not. It is an easy workaround, but annoying and an immersion killer. I wish there was a real solution...

By the way: When I start a mission where the engines are already running, both throttles are always set to max power despite the HOTAS being on idele position. So I have to hit the breaks and quickly move the throttles a bit to synchronize before the plane starts to move immediately.

Edited by Hive

• 2 weeks later...

I experience this as well......DCS does not do a good job of polling the position of the controllers.  I have another issue related to DCS losing track of switch postitions in game related to my simpit switch postition.  This to is an immersion killer for me.

Win 10 Pro - Intel I7 12700k@4.9ghz water cooled - ASUS TUF Z690 -EVGA RTX 3080 12G Hybrid - EVGA 1000W PSU - 32GB 3200 G-Skill XMP- Reverb G2 -Custom mip and side panels - Leo Bodnar  BBI32x2, BBI64x4 - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM Cougar MFD's x 3 - TM TPR pedals

• 3 months later...

My throttle 🪓 🪓 were inverted.

Started a mission with a hot jet and realized I was trying to move from off to idle while at full throttle.

Tuned the axes to inverted sliders with 99 saturation.

Now everything works fine.

• 5 months later...