Radio Tuning Knob Actions Are Continuous Instead Of Once-Per-Press

Bailey

If you press and hold the keybind for tuning the digits of the UHF radio, the knob turns once. If you do the same for any of the 4 other radios, the knob turns continuously until the keybind is released. Changing all the knobs to act like the UHF digits will help better define the expectation of what happens when you use the keybind manually, with third party drivers (e.g. button boxes), or with applications (e.g. VoiceAttack).

I could not wait, haha.

While improving the VoiceAttack profile I have for the A-10C, I made the following changes to the default keyboard and joystick Input definitions and fixed this bug. I basically changed the applicable "pressed" commands to "down" commands and added comments.

According to ED code when a button is "pressed" it will activate continuously as long as the button is held down.

According to ED code, when a button is "down", it will activate once until it is downed again.

Pros: You can now code 3rd party apps and hardware such as VoiceAttack and button boxes to a uniform standard of expected input.

Con: At this moment in time, the Keybind screen says there are conflicts. The conflict is only in the name of the action, not the action itself. You can still bind keyboard or joystick controls at will with no consequence.

ED: I hope these files help with locating and identifying the issue and lead to a solution. @BIGNEWY

Everyone else: Feel free to use this as a mod.

This has not been tested on multiple machines. Please remember to back up the original files if you use this as a mod. The Mod folder goes into the DCS install location (NOT Saved Games). Search the .lua files for "Bailey" to find the changes.

Radios effected by this mod:

VHF AM

VHF AM

TACAN

ILS

1185765113_2020-10-2419_21_03-G__Games_DCSWorldOpenBeta_Mods_aircraft_A-10C_2_Input_A-10C_2_keyboard_default.jpg.36e8c34a5f3ba9097890794a19b53397.jpg

956512528_2020-10-2419_24_22-DigitalCombatSimulator.jpg.182bfd80882a0c3af585b19f707bf135.jpg

66713768_2020-10-2419_21_03-G__Games_DCSWorldOpenBeta_Mods_aircraft_A-10C_2_Input_A-10C_2_keyboard_default.jpg.3b2f7e0373b6b597c378755f09acd02b.jpg

A-10C and A-10C2 Radio Knob Mod by Bailey.zip

You should just be able to add something to then end of the NAME portion of the LUA line (i.e. original name - pressed) of the new version and that will remove the orange highlight. That works if I add 2 way switch lines for the gear etc. You only get the orange line if it has exactly duplicated names (I should mention my experience with this is in the F-18, I assume this should work the same in the A-10II)

You should just be able to add something to then end of the NAME portion of the LUA line (i.e. original name - pressed) of the new version and that will remove the orange highlight. That works if I add 2 way switch lines for the gear etc. You only get the orange line if it has exactly duplicated names (I should mention my experience with this is in the F-18, I assume this should work the same in the A-10II)

But they should, in fact, be the same name, correct?

But they should, in fact, be the same name, correct?

AFAIK (again, basing this on F18 experience, not A10, but I presume they should be the same) the NAME portion is strictly a descriptor, so you could call it "SDFJOIJOEIWR" rather than "ILS Power Switch" for example and DCS wouldn't care (NAME is what shows up in the ACTION column in the binding setting and has no other purpose). I add something to the end of the original name so that it shows up in the same spot on the list, but is visibly differentiated for when when I want to bind it (i.e. if both are called "POWER" have to remember or guess which is the original and which is my new 2 way switch -- so I name the new one as POWER - 2 POS and I always know which one I'm using).

EDIT: Having reread your post, I do see where you're coming from. I presume if you deleted or commented out the original you also could get rid of the duplicates?

I'm not sure I agree that having these as "down" rather than "press" as default is a good thing -- easy enough to go a ways with a knob, but if you're using a keyboard having to hit the key 20 times is a pain -- but you're right, they should at least be consistent.

but if you're using a keyboard having to hit the key 20 times is a pain -- but you're right, they should at least be consistent.

Good thing you only have to go from 0 to 9 :P Just kidding.

I wonder if this could, in the future, be an option that the player can decide. See the example below. Both options would, ideally, be in the controls menu.

Thinking about it, I don't think this would be a bad idea.

"Knob1 Up"
"Knob1 Up (Cont)"
"Knob1 Down"
"Knob1 Down (Cont)"

• BIGNEWY changed the title to Radio Tuning Knob Actions Are Continuous Instead Of Once-Per-Press
  • 4 weeks later...
  • ED Team

In a future update we will have the current input option as well as the down option. 

thank you

• Like 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2