Video Shows Airforce pilots training in VR using DCS A-10C

lobo

How good is DCS A-10C?

Video Shows Airforce pilots training in VR using DCS A-10C.

Both A10C and A10C "II" were developed for the Air Force testing. Probably the better question: "How lucky are we?"

Cheers,

Ziptie

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

Both A10C and A10C "II" were developed for the Air Force testing. Probably the better question: "How lucky are we?"

Cheers,

Ziptie

Exactly. With the current state of VR, we have access to an incredible combat flight sim which definitely leans more towards simulation than game.

It's also interesting to see the military embracing commercially available VR headsets instead of flat screens.

Edited by lobo**
Optional: Tell the people the reason for editing

Lobo's DCS A-10C Normal Checklist & Quick Reference Handbook current version 8D available here:

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/172905/

At 12:25 - why is there an aircraft carrier in the desert??

Probably for training - either attack training, or possibly for a crossover platform usage for Naval pilots? I've flown in MP servers that have them in different places at NTTR map, as well as PG map (placed in the ground). Ease of trap practice, as there is not option (at least currently) to perform trap practice on an airfield runway.

But good spot regardless, I missed it the first time of viewing the video :megalol:

Cheers,

Ziptie

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

I'd guess it's a large identification marker for the location, it's easier than saying "look for the big rectangle building next to the square building"

If you're looking for a fat ass carrier it's easier to relocate the AO at any distance.

ASUS Z-170 PRO Gaming | Intl Core I7 7600 | 16GB Corsair DDR-4 2132 | nVidia 1660 Ti Black Edition 6GB | Saitek X-52 HOTAS | Oculus Rift

Wait, was that MilesD VR pointing device, PointCTRL?

Affirmative.

Cheers,

Ziptie

• Like 1

AFAIK Miles provided/delivered the whole Simulator Hardware for them. He posted stuff on his Discord. :joystick:

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

• 1 year later...
On 10/27/2020 at 12:17 PM, Bunny Clark said:

The video shown with the big ship was of a "Red carpet" sim sortie. Thats what they set up for friends/family/non-pilot guests who want to try flying the hawg. It's a pre-built sortie with nothing classified and targets that even someone who's never touched an airplane can find and shoot.