Why not A-10C Thunderbolt II?

Boris

The "II" is literally in the official name. A bit of a missed opportunity perhaps?

The "Tank Killer" name is nice and nostalgic, but maybe it would have been much better applied to a high fidelity fully clickable A-10A (which I sincerely hope we get as well one day).

Would be more fitting too, since the A-10A was originally specifically designed as a tank killer and it would fit the 70s, 80s cold war and 1990 Desert Storm scenarios.

By contrast, the modern day A-10C is primarily used as a CAS aircraft and less a tank killer.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

By contrast, the modern day A-10C is primarily used as a CAS aircraft and less a tank killer.

Yeah, I thought exactly the same when I first heard of the new module title. It's pretty odd that the most modern A-10 variant we get in DCS will get a name based on it's oldest task, which the A-10A was originally build for. Tank killing isn't really what the modern A-10C does a lot, as the focus today in on CAS and COIN (Counter Insurgency). So yeah, quite an odd name choice.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Marketing.

Sure, and as someone who also works in marketing I still can't help but lament the fact, that "Thunderbolt II" would have been perfect for this module, and that "Tank Killer" would have been perfect for a hypothetical hi-fi A-10A module :D

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

The "II" is literally in the official name. A bit of a missed opportunity perhaps?
The "II" differentiates it from a P-47 Thunderbolt, so I think that would just serve to confuse, we have always had a Thunderbolt II both as A-10A and A-10C.

"Tank Killer" is synonymous with the A-10, even in modern day https://sputniknews.com/military/201702071050446024-a-10-stay-service/ and you can literally buy the t-shirt right now! https://www.amazon.com/10-Warthog-Tank-Killer-Shirt/dp/B07KWGX8N8

Plus of course for veteran flight combat simmers it brings back memories. So for young and old I think "Tank Killer" kind of just works.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

Maybe it’s less a reflection on how the real aircraft is used and more about how it’s typically used in game...

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

The "II" differentiates it from a P-47 Thunderbolt, so I think that would just serve to confuse, we have always had a Thunderbolt II both as A-10A and A-10C.

True

"Tank Killer" is synonymous with the A-10, even in modern day https://sputniknews.com/military/201702071050446024-a-10-stay-service/ and you can literally buy the t-shirt right now! https://www.amazon.com/10-Warthog-Tank-Killer-Shirt/dp/B07KWGX8N8

Yes, but this applies to the A-10 itself, regardless of different variants. It originates from its original purpose: Stopping the Red Army in the Fulda Gap.

Plus of course for veteran flight combat simmers it brings back memories. So for young and old I think "Tank Killer" kind of just works.

That's the problem. It brings back memories for an aircraft that was designed to kill tanks, but what we get here is a very modern incarnation of that aircraft, that, unlike its older incarnations, is much better known for CAS and Counter Insurgency than killing tanks.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

Same as Viper vs. FF...

The "Tank Killer" name is nice and nostalgic, but maybe it would have been much better applied to a high fidelity fully clickable A-10A (which I sincerely hope we get as well one day).

Would be more fitting too, since the A-10A was originally specifically designed as a tank killer and it would fit the 70s, 80s cold war and 1990 Desert Storm scenarios.

What does it matter what is it called as a module? Makes absolutely no difference.

There was a similar question with regards to the Viper.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=39821

Let it be called whatever name ED wants, frankly can't be called Thunderbolt II as it would suggest to the new people that A-10C Warthog is newer. The II in our module is there to say it is the second version of the module.

Since we are keeping both we can't have A-10C Warthog and A-10C II Warthog. Call it Warthog 2... but Tank Killer is just cool name.

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

Call it Warthog 2

That would be a better and more fitting choice IMHO. It would be similar to Black Shark 2.

Tornado3 small.jpg

It does not matter what you say. ED will just say, we like the name so we will stick with it, even if it makes no sense at all. But there are worse things to worry about then a name.

''Greed is a bottomless pit which exhausts the person in an endless effort to satisfy the need without ever reaching satisfaction.''

Erich Fromm

• ED Team

A-10C Thunderbolt II is a brand name, so we decided to go with Tank Killer.

A-10C II Tank Killer was the best choice in my opinion.

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

What would you call a speculative hi-fi A-10A module then?

Please don't say you'll never so one or rule it out :D

I like to think that if the A-10C can get an avionics upgrade, it can also can an avionics downgrade. This might seem silly to some, but I'd love to fly around in an authentic 80s era camouflaged A-10A, with all the challenges that come with it.

What would you call a speculative hi-fi A-10A module then?

A-10A Rusty

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

It should be called the A-10C Thunderbolt II II. Everyone agree?
Desmond for short :)

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

Sure, and as someone who also works in marketing I still can't help but lament the fact, that "Thunderbolt II" would have been perfect for this module, and that "Tank Killer" would have been perfect for a hypothetical hi-fi A-10A module :D

Do you work in Flight Simulation marketing? If not then your opinion is worth no more than any other person on the planet because we don't know what their particular market research has shown.

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

No matter what else it does. It still kills tanks pretty good. :)
Yeh, I think it is just a matter of opportunity. I don't think it even saw any combat until the Gulf war where it certainly managed to destroy plenty of tanks (900+) and hasn't seen that type of combat since. I wouldn't say it wasn't designed to destroy tanks any more, simply there hasn't been that kind of requirement.

Of course in the sim world we have a bit more scope, AFAIK an A-10C has never been lost in combat, I don't think we could say the same in the sim world!

P-47 = Thunderbolt

A-10 = Thunderbolt II

P-38 = Lighting

F-35 = Lighting II

So I do not see such a missed opportunity as it would been "A-10C II Thunderbolt II" or something.

Personally I would have liked that it stays as so far, just be clarified that what Suite version it does have.

So you have "A-10C Thunderbolt II (suite 8)" and "A-10C Thunderbolt II (suite 3)" modules to download.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Funny,

Back in 1996 there was a game that is named very closely that I had.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silent_Thunder:_A-10_Tank_Killer_II

Rack Rig: Rosewill RSV-L4000 | Koolance ERM-3K3UC | Xeon E5-1680 v2 @ 4.9ghz w/EK Monoblock | Asus Rampage IV Black Edition | 64GB 2133mhz | SLI TitanXP w/ EK Waterblocks | 2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB | Seasonic 1000w Titanium | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | TM Warthog HOTAS w/40cm Extension | MFG Crosswind Rudders | Obutto R3volution | HP Reverb

Funny,

Back in 1996 there was a game that is named very closely that I had.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silent_Thunder:_A-10_Tank_Killer_II

Oh yes, good old Silent Thunder: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=178575&highlight=A-10A :thumbup:

A-10A, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B, F-5E, F-16C, F/A-18C, F-86F, Yak-52, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Supercarrier, Combined Arms, FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Normandy + WWII Assets Pack