Stable or Beta?

Ryanwtod

Every new Module, appears first in Beta, and after a while it shows up on Stable.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

For all practical purposes beta is release, stable is a backup. Maybe not intended that way, but it's what it has become in practical use.

Please, don't confuse people new to DCS :doh:

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

For all practical purposes beta is release, stable is a backup. Maybe not intended that way, but it's what it has become in practical use.

I tend to disagree.

I do most of my DCS flying on the Stable version with a fixed group of people, and many of the problems with new OpenBeta releases were non-issues for us. In the long run, it pays off to stick to the Stable.

Plus, my impression is that many DCS players don't understand the purpose of the OpenBeta, so instead of reporting bugs (which they should), they complain about them and/or talk badly about the state of DCS.

I'm not saying Stable is perfect. But if everyone went for Stable first, I think the overall impression that people have of DCS would be better. Of course it doesn't help that new features get stuck in OB for weeks and months, and new players wonder why they can't install or use them. Again, not perfect the way it is, but encouraging everyone to use OB and ignore Stable creates its own set of problems that should not be underestimated IMHO.

• ED Team

Hi

All new releases will start in open beta, this is how our release cycle works. Open beta is our public testing branch.

Once we are happy the open beta is stable enough we will push it to the stable version, this includes any early access or new released content.

thank you

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

and many of the problems with new OpenBeta releases were non-issues for us

Same for me, although I only use the OB ;)

Most of the issues are just very minor things.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Don't understand this and I am now confused. Does this mean if I buy the new one on release date and avail myself of the $9.99 price I have also to load in the open beta version of DCS to run it or will it work with my current DCS package?

As someone said further up, don't confuse those new to DCS. I'm new and now I'm totally lost.

• ED Team
Don't understand this and I am now confused. Does this mean if I buy the new one on release date and avail myself of the $9.99 price I have also to load in the open beta version of DCS to run it or will it work with my current DCS package?

As someone said further up, don't confuse those new to DCS. I'm new and now I'm totally lost.

We have a development cycle.

Open beta is the public test version, all products hit open beta first.

once the open beta is considered stable enough it gets pushed to the stable version.

You dont have to download the open beta, but there maybe a short delay before you have the aircraft in stable version. We are not planning to make that wait long, but it depends on testing in openbeta.

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

It will release on the Beta branch first, so if you buy it and want to fly it on release day you will need the Beta branch installed on your PC. It will release onto the Stable branch eventually, but who knows how long that will take. Like others have said above I just use the Beta now, as I like to have all the toys on release day. :)

Hope this clears it up for you a bit.

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

A-10C II is a new aircraft module. It will just install the same way your other aircraft modules do. When it releases, the page where you go to buy it will tell you the minimum level your DCS installation needs to be at in order to run it.

Personally, I have two installations of DCS on one machine. One that is the "stable" version, and the other which is the beta version. The aircraft modules you own can be installed on both, without having to buy 2 copies of each module. When you have two installations, you can fall back to the "stable" version if the latest update to the beta breaks something that makes the beta unplayable for you.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

BIGNEWY,

So I buy the A10c II on release date and I can use it on my stable DCS?

I ask because the two posts above seem to say,

1/ I need the beta version and,

2/ I don't need the beta version

TIA

Lee

Edited by Lee1

BIGNEWY,

So I buy the A10c II on release date and I can use it on my stable DCS?

I ask because the two posts above seem to say,

1/ I need the beta version and,

2/ I don't need the beta version

TIA

Lee

No it will not be available on the stable branch on day one. You will need open beta. Once ED is satisfied that module is in a relatively stable state, it will be added to the stable branch and you will have access to fly it then.

I tend to disagree.

I do most of my DCS flying on the Stable version with a fixed group of people, and many of the problems with new OpenBeta releases were non-issues for us. In the long run, it pays off to stick to the Stable.

Plus, my impression is that many DCS players don't understand the purpose of the OpenBeta, so instead of reporting bugs (which they should), they complain about them and/or talk badly about the state of DCS.

I'm not saying Stable is perfect. But if everyone went for Stable first, I think the overall impression that people have of DCS would be better. Of course it doesn't help that new features get stuck in OB for weeks and months, and new players wonder why they can't install or use them. Again, not perfect the way it is, but encouraging everyone to use OB and ignore Stable creates its own set of problems that should not be underestimated IMHO.

Spot on 100% agree.

No problem. Just keep in mind that the open beta has the potential to, and has in the past, introduce bugs and other issues that could render the Sim unusable or broken (or at least certain pieces of it) for some users. It is not intended to be the primary branch for using DCS. That is what the stable branch is for. If you can't handle the potential of game breaking issues causing frustration, the Open Beta is not for you. It's designed purpose is to allow for mass user testing and bug reporting from the community.

Edited by Repth

Hey guys, I'm not familiar with the release cycles on beta. What do you think will be the estimated time of arrival on stable? I know it depends on the amount of critical bugs of course, but regarding former experiences, are we talking about days, weeks or months? Just trying to decide whether it is recommendable to switch to beta or worth the wait. Thanks!

Hey guys, I'm not familiar with the release cycles on beta. What do you think will be the estimated time of arrival on stable? I know it depends on the amount of critical bugs of course, but regarding former experiences, are we talking about days, weeks or months? Just trying to decide whether it is recommendable to switch to beta or worth the wait. Thanks!

Nobody can answer that. Too many varibles. Stable has gone a couple of weeks before an update all the way to 5 months with no update.

Buzz