TAS speeds (horizontal flight) for all DCS WWII fighters at three levels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TAS speeds (horizontal flight) for all DCS WWII fighters at three levels

Just made a test of maximum TAS speeds (horizontal flight) for all late war WWII fighters at sea level, at 3300 m (10000 ft) and at 6100m (20000 ft).

Parameters of the test:
    DCS Open Beta 2.5.6.57530
    Normandy map, temperature 20°C, pressure standard atm 29.92 inHg, wind 0 kt
    fuel 50%
    planes trimmed for horizontal flight
    measured flight duration at least 1 min or more until speed stops rising
    TAS read from the status bar

Power settings:
    P-47D-30: water injection and turbocharger , 71″ @ 2700 RPM
    P-51D: WEP, 67″ @ 3000 RPM
    Spitfire Mk.IX: +18 @ 3000 RPM
    FW 190D: MW50, 3250 RPM
    FW 190A-8: notleistung 2700 RPM (1.4 ATA)
    Bf 190K-4: MW50, 1.75 ATA (2800 RPM)

Measured speeds:

P-47D-30
    615 km/h
    646 km/h
    670 km/h

P-51D
    592 km/h
    631 km/h
    674 km/h

Spitfire Mk. IX
    525 km/h
    585 km/h
    611 km/h

FW 190D
    594 km/h
    646 km/h
    698 km/h

FW 190A-8
    542 km/h
    572 km/h (with 2nd stage of supercharger ON)
    628 km/h

Bf 109K-4
    592 km/h
    637 km/h
    678 km/h

Conclusion:
    At sea level the winner is P-47D
    At 3300m P-47D, FW 190D and Bf 190K are very close to each other
    At 6100m the winner is FW 190D

P.S. Misson files attached if anyone wants to verify measured numbers
    Attached Files
    Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast! (Ken Gatward before his solo Beaufighter mission 1943)
    HW: i7-7700K@OC(delid) to 5.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, MB ASUS Z270-A, GTX 3080, LCD WQHD G-SYNC 120Hz,TrackIR5, VKB Gunfighter, MFG Crosswind, GVL Throttle, Windows 10 64-bit
    http://www.warbirds-blog.cz/

A very handy comparison of the performance, thanks.
    Asus B-85 Pro Gamer, i7 4790K non-oc, Asus GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB non-oc RAM, Intel SSD 520 - 240 GB, MSFFB2, Win7 64-bit.

Comment

Nice work, thanks for doing this.

I've often wondered what the true comparison would be between all the warbirds. Now I know...
      System :-
      i7-7820X, ASUS ROG Strix X229, 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600MHz, 11GB Nvidia Geforce 1080Ti, 1x 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1x 1TB Samsung 850 EVO, 1x 500GB Samsung 960 EVO M.2, Windows 10. VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Throttle, Saitek combat rudder pedals, Oculus Rift S and CV1.

........................................................................sigpic.............................................................................

Comment

First of all, thank you for taking the time to do the test.
        One thing I noticed is you didn´t use standar atmosphere condition. Although your pressure is right, the temp should be 15º (I have not calculate any desviation may have happened though).
        Also,P-47D speed seems too much at sea level (615kph). At 72 inches, the P-47M in the test report I have seen did 365-368mph (around 585-595kph).
        Also, does anyone know why at sea level the boost goes to 71"? The engine was rated for 64". This happened also in Il2 (higher boost at sea level). Is it right or a bug? If right, what is the explanation?.

Comment

Originally posted by Zunzun View Post
          Also, does anyone know why at sea level the boost goes to 71"? The engine was rated for 64". This happened also in Il2 (higher boost at sea level). Is it right or a bug? If right, what is the explanation?.
          Like it was said already P-47 does not have automatic boost control like in other planes like P-51,Spitfire.
          So it is possible to overboost.
          If you take P-47 in to climb and you set your boost for example 50" or 52" you will notice that boost will go up during climb so pilot have to retard boost lever to keep boost with limits.
          sigpic

Comment

Would you consider adding top speed test at 35000ft i think at this alt P-47 should rule
            sigpic

Comment

First of all, thank you for taking the time to do the test.
              One thing I noticed is you didn´t use standar atmosphere condition. Although your pressure is right, the temp should be 15º (I have not calculate any desviation may have happened though).
              Also,P-47D speed seems too much at sea level (615kph). At 72 inches, the P-47M in the test report I have seen did 365-368mph (around 585-595kph).
              I agree, you are right 15° would be better and more precise. Hopefully, it is not a big problem, at least ALL a/c used the same though not ideal temp (20°) so the differences among a/c should be roughly the same.
              Yes, P-47D is probably way too fast at sea level in DCS. IRL pilots usually would not overboost the engine but in DCS they do always if it is allowed. So I used max possible MP in my test.
              Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast! (Ken Gatward before his solo Beaufighter mission 1943)
              HW: i7-7700K@OC(delid) to 5.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, MB ASUS Z270-A, GTX 3080, LCD WQHD G-SYNC 120Hz,TrackIR5, VKB Gunfighter, MFG Crosswind, GVL Throttle, Windows 10 64-bit

Comment

Originally posted by grafspee View Post
                Would you consider adding top speed test at 35000ft i think at this alt P-47 should rule
                My test was only a brief one. I do not intend to invest much time into it. If someone wants to add high altitude data it would be great. I have attached my .miz files at the first post if someone wants to use them for some additional tests...

Comment

Like it was said already P-47 does not have automatic boost control like in other planes like P-51,Spitfire.
                  So it is possible to overboost.
                  If you take P-47 in to climb and you set your boost for example 50" or 52" you will notice that boost will go up during climb so pilot have to retard boost lever to keep boost with limits.
                  Yes, I knew about the boost regulator and its behaviour in the climb. But I was referring to sea level so that behaviour in the climb shouldn't apply. Should it?
                  It's that the regulator doesn't limit the engine to 64" and the coupling of the mechanical supercharger and the turbocharger overboost it beyond the plackard limit?
                  If that was correct then the effect should be present up to 7000ft (the limit of the mechanical supercharger).

Comment

Yes, I knew about the boost regulator and its behaviour in the climb. But I was referring to sea level so that behaviour in the climb shouldn't apply. Should it?
                    It's that the regulator doesn't limit the engine to 64" and the coupling of the mechanical supercharger and the turbocharger overboost it beyond the plackard limit?
                    If that was correct then the effect should be present up to 7000ft (the limit of the mechanical supercharger).

Mechanical supercharger is geared so throttle and engine rpm are regulating boost, but this is only managed by pilot so manual mode 100%.
                    Boost regulator basically keeps constant exhaust pressure on turbine inlet side.
                    So turbo work load is constant more or less. For example turbo increase inlet pressure by 10 inHg.
                    Now look at ram air inlet, when plane is stationary no ram effect present so the boost regulator will indirectly limit MAP to 64 +- 1-2inHg but when plane is flying fast ram air will add additional boost, and boost regulator is no way in position to compensate. P-47 don't have automatic boost regulator like Spitfire or P-51.
                    If you would configure boost regulator to limit 64" at 400mph plane will not be able to boost up to 64" at lower speed.
                    I have heard that P-47 later models were equipped with boost regulator which was controlling MAP and was able to prevent over boosting. But i don't know much about it
                    sigpic

Comment

Mechanical supercharger is geared so throttle and engine rpm are regulating boost, but this is only managed by pilot so manual mode 100%.
                      Boost regulator basically keeps constant exhaust pressure on turbine inlet side.
                      So turbo work load is constant more or less. For example turbo increase inlet pressure by 10 inHg.
                      Now look at ram air inlet, when plane is stationary no ram effect present so the boost regulator will indirectly limit MAP to 64 +- 1-2inHg but when plane is flying fast ram air will add additional boost, and boost regulator is no way in position to compensate. P-47 don't have automatic boost regulator like Spitfire or P-51.
                      If you would configure boost regulator to limit 64" at 400mph plane will not be able to boost up to 64" at lower speed.
                      I have heard that P-47 later models were equipped with boost regulator which was controlling MAP and was able to prevent over boosting. But i don't know much about it
                      That makes sense. Thanks

Comment

I think the P-47 is way too fast, from the little I investigated, I can't tell for the spitfire and the 109 but I searched a lot for 190 A8, and the A8 is still missing ~ 10 km/h and (sea level at least).I don't want to say that allied fighter are biased (for the p47), but those numbers seems to be the worst we can find on performance charts for the A8

Comment

Well, if DCS A-8 has Erhöhte Notleistung it would add 15-20 km/h. As far as I know EN was on majority of A-8 except the first batches (and these were supposed to be upgraded later as well).

DCS P-47 Is probably faster then IRL at least at the sea level.

Comment

Originally posted by tapi View Post
                            Well, if DCS A-8 has Erhöhte Notleistung it would add 15-20 km/h. As far as I know EN was on majority of A-8 except the first batches (and these were supposed to be upgraded later as well).

DCS P-47 Is probably faster then IRL at least at the sea level.
                            From my research, A8 should fly at about 550-555 km/h (SL) without EN and 570-580 km/h (SL)with it and if we could remove the outboard mg, we can add 6-7 km/h, so it could be very competitve (in fighter role) with or without the EN

Comment

Not a primary source but very reliable secondary one: Smith & Creek, FW 190 (3 volumes) - p. 410 FW 190A-8 speeds:
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	Creek_Smith_FW190A8_speeds.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	619.2 KB
ID:	7147895

Comment

Not a primary source but very reliable secondary one: Smith & Creek, FW 190 (3 volumes) - p. 410 FW 190A-8 speeds:
                                Click image for larger version  Name:	Creek_Smith_FW190A8_speeds.jpg Views:	0 Size:	619.2 KB ID:	7147895
                                I can't be confident with secondary sources since almost all of them speak about MW50 on the A8 wich never had it ( I don't say it is the case of this one)

I have some sources form wich I conclude the 550 without EN :

I post them in the chronogical order

January 1944
                                Click image for larger version  Name:	fw190-a8-12jan44.jpg Views:	0 Size:	499.6 KB ID:	7148122

March 1944 ( I attach the pdf to the post)

Click image for larger version  Name:	A8 03.1944.png Views:	0 Size:	396.1 KB ID:	7148123
                                May 1944 (the document is from november 1944 but you can see may 1944 on the bottom of it

Click image for larger version  Name:	fw190-a8-glce2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	230.5 KB ID:	7148124

The other sources from october 1944 and january 1945 tell for 545 km/h

Click image for larger version  Name:	fw190-a8-12jan45 (1).jpg Views:	0 Size:	354.4 KB ID:	7148126

Click image for larger version  Name:	fw190-a8-25oct44.jpg Views:	0 Size:	426.9 KB ID:	7148127
                                I have this one too but don't know the date

Click image for larger version  Name:	190a5-performancetable.jpg Views:	0 Size:	343.4 KB ID:	7148128

The speed seems to drop gradually, since the war end approach so maybe the production quality or small changes on the aircraft ? I can't tell

Sorry for the long post but looked a lot for A8 and want to share, I have looked for the other version too, wich are a little bit faster due to better aerodynamics (less and smaller weapons)
                                Attached Files

Comment

Interesting data, thanks very much for sharing.

If I read the graphs correctly, these are thespeeds for A-8 at sea level:
                                  (pls correct me if I read wrong some data)

January 1944
                                  2700 @ 1,5 ATA 555 km/h
                                  2700 @ 1,65 ATA 578 km/h

March 1944
                                  2700 @ ? ATA 530 km/h
                                  2700 @ 1,5 ATA 555 km/h
                                  2700 @ 1,65 ATA 580 km/h

May 1944
                                  graph of bad quality, but seems the same like the one from March 1944

October 1944
                                  2700 @ 1,50 ATA 545 km/h
                                  2700 @ 1,65 ATA 565 km/h

January 1945
                                  2700 @ 1,52 ATA 545 km/h
                                  2700 @ 1,65 ATA 565 km/h

Unknown one
                                  2700 @ ? ATA 556 km/h

Seems to me that graphs shows cca 545-555 km/h for 1,5 ATA.
                                  That IMO could be consistent roughly with 541 km/h for 1,42 ATA

P.S. I think we should count at least with some little error margins due to methods of measurements even in official data.

Comment

Interesting data, thanks very much for sharing.

If I read the graphs correctly, these are thespeeds for A-8 at sea level:
                                    (pls correct me if I read wrong some data)

January 1944
                                    2700 @ 1,5 ATA 555 km/h
                                    2700 @ 1,65 ATA 578 km/h

March 1944
                                    2400 @ ? ATA 530 km/h
                                    2700 @ 1,5 ATA 555 km/h
                                    2700 @ 1,65 ATA 580 km/h

May 1944

October 1944
                                    2700 @ 1,50 ATA 545 km/h
                                    2700 @ 1,65 ATA 565 km/h

January 1945
                                    2700 @ 1,52 ATA 545 km/h
                                    2700 @ 1,65 ATA 565 km/h

Unknown one
                                    2700 @ ? ATA 556 km/h

Seems to me that graphs shows cca 545-555 km/h for 1,5 ATA.
                                    That IMO could be consistent roughly with 541 km/h for 1,42 ATA

P.S. I think we should count at least with some little error margins due to methods of measurements even in official data.
                                    You confused the 1.58 and 1.65 at sea level, the 1.42 et 1.58 are the only possible at sea level, 1,65 is for second superchagarger

so ~ Level 0 to 1500 meter = 1.58 for the maximum speed and ~ 2300 meter to 5500 is 1.65 for the maximum speed too, the gap is for the speed difference between 1.42 and 1.58 or 1.65.

January 1944
                                    2700 @ 1,42 ATA 555 km/h
                                    2700 @ 1,58 ATA 578 km/h

March 1944
                                    2400 @ 1,32 ATA 530 km/h
                                    2700 @ 1,42 ATA 555 km/h
                                    2700 @ 1,58 ATA 580 km/h

May 1944

October 1944
                                    2700 @ 1,42 ATA 545 km/h
                                    2700 @ 1,58 ATA 565 km/h

January 1945
                                    2700 @ 1,42 ATA 545 km/h
                                    2700 @ 1,58 ATA 565 km/h

Unknown one
                                    2700 @ ? ATA 556 km/h For this one very hard to tell if it's a 1,42 or the 1,58 but when there is 1,58 they specify it

There is also the calculated estimation wich tell 558 km/h @ SL @ 1,42 ATA. In a test flight for a Fw 190 D9, they managed to be 5 km/h slower that calculeted estimations (with polished surface) but I read a lot of test flight for 190 and speed are always differents, never the same in same configuration.
                                    I think those charts are for aircraft in their best configuration for the moment, and with closed radiator flaps and maybe polished surface.

Comment

OK, understand. Thanks for your correction. Then it seems you are right
                                      Looks like ED prefered lower values from the late 1944 and 1945 charts. i.e. cca 545 km/h.
                                      So it seems that in case of DCS A-8 (542 km/h) there is a difference cca 10-15 km/h (not a big one but worth to consider) from the earlier charts and cca 2-5 km/h from the late charts (a very small difference that could be caused by measurement errors on either side)

Comment

Blackbird12 All these diagrams are calculated values. They are higher than what the real aircraft could achieve. You are correct with MW50. It was tested; no significant gain was the result and little cracks in the engine appeared during the testphase. I have to look for the source for this, will post it when I find it. Instead increased boost pressure was used and provided a significant power increase.
                                        1.65ATA was used for the "JABOREI" case with additional C3 injection and only for the "bodenlader" (1st stage of the booster).
                                        In the fighter configuration 1.58ATA 1st stage, 1.65ATA 2nd stage.

Fox
                                        Eagle Dynamics, ceterum censeo: dare nobis ME CCLXII!

DCS: Dora - Zero visibility Instrument take off
                                        DCS: Kurfuerst - Zero visibility Instrument take off

Comment

Working...
                                        X