Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't wait for this beautiful plane to release.

This looks like one of those planes you could have for a month without ever using the weapons, it would just be a joy to fly.
    Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

Comment

Originally posted by Bozon View Post
      Off the top of my head I remember 9 fuel tanks. They had the ability to add more in the bomb bay, but I think that in the FB.VI that option was only used for ferrying if at all.
      After checking, I can see the source of the confusion - FB.VI has 8 tanks in the wings: 2 outboard of the engine and 2 inboard, in each wing. It also has a small fuselage tank behind the cockpit, so that is 9.

However, the fuselage tank is split into left and right sections, so it could be counted as 2 for a total of 10. I could not find if the two halves of this tank are always drained together, or could the be drained individually, making then two separate tanks.
      “Mosquitoes fly, but flies don’t Mosquito”
      - Geoffrey de Havilland.

... well, he could have said it!

Comment

Anyone fancy a cookie...?

OK, so let’s get the FBVI out... but I’m also sure that a future BIV / IX / XVI would also be very well received!

If ED brought out a bomber version, would that make it the delivery vehicle for the biggest bomb in DCS World?? (conventional of course)

Comment

Originally posted by rkk01 View Post
          Anyone fancy a cookie...?

OK, so let’s get the FBVI out... but I’m also sure that a future BIV / IX / XVI would also be very well received!

If ED brought out a bomber version, would that make it the delivery vehicle for the biggest bomb in DCS World?? (conventional of course)
          i for one would love to see other varients, mollins 57mm cannon, 4000lb bomb would be neat, i do wonder how much modifications it would take to make these. i.e how different they are physically.

Comment

I'd really like to see the Torpedo bomber variant.

Comment

OT, but relevant to me... so any help appreciated

My lifelong interest in aircraft was sparked by a relative who flew during WW2. He never talked about people, raids, squadrons etc, but was happy to regale a young lad with stories about the aircraft he flew.

Nearly 40 years after he passed away I am trying to find out more - which squadrons and raids he flew on etc. He flew the Stirling, Lancaster, and later, the Mossie. He talked fondly of the Stirling and Mosquito - very much from the pilot’s perspective / handling.

I think he was involved with target marking, but talked of a rivalry with the PFF (possibly 5 Group?). One raid he did talk about was Peenemunde.

I’m not a direct descendant, so can’t access official records, frustratingly. He has one son who I sort of know, but is now elderly himself - any pointers for research? (I do know his 2 RAF service No.s)

Comment

Originally posted by rkk01 View Post
                OT, but relevant to me... so any help appreciated

My lifelong interest in aircraft was sparked by a relative who flew during WW2. He never talked about people, raids, squadrons etc, but was happy to regale a young lad with stories about the aircraft he flew.

Nearly 40 years after he passed away I am trying to find out more - which squadrons and raids he flew on etc. He flew the Stirling, Lancaster, and later, the Mossie. He talked fondly of the Stirling and Mosquito - very much from the pilot’s perspective / handling.

I think he was involved with target marking, but talked of a rivalry with the PFF (possibly 5 Group?). One raid he did talk about was Peenemunde.

I’m not a direct descendant, so can’t access official records, frustratingly. He has one son who I sort of know, but is now elderly himself - any pointers for research? (I do know his 2 RAF service No.s)
                I don't know about foreign laws with regard to that subject, but if you're a relative maybe you can access that info either, did you try yet? Anyhow, if you know a son even though elder, isn't there any grandson for instance to ask for it? I could easily get my grandfather's service record by the way (nothing to do with WWII). Or maybe some researcher on the subject (which should be able to reach the archives as a researcher) can help you, museums' staff, etc.

S!
                "I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war." -- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by peeter View Post

Regarding the fuel tanks:
                  Interesting. Where does this come from?

However, I don’t think that this comes from FB.VI - the fuselage tanks are too big. 68 gallons is probably from a bomber or phororecce variant (should be 25 gal). Also, I think that the wing tanks of FB.VI were of pairs of equal size tanks.
                  - Geoffrey de Havilland.

Comment

Originally posted by Bozon View Post
                    Interesting. Where does this come from?

However, I don’t think that this comes from FB.VI - the fuselage tanks are too big. 68 gallons is probably from a bomber or phororecce variant (should be 25 gal). Also, I think that the wing tanks of FB.VI were of pairs of equal size tanks.
                    It come from
                    "The Mosquito pocket manual"

https://ospreypublishing.com/the-mos...ore=osprey_rst

Comment

I hope that we will see more twin engine ww2 planes in near future
                      sigpic

Comment

Does DH.98 have a chance to come out this year?
                        Spoiler:
                        |Motherboard|: Asus TUF Gaming X570-PLUS,
                        |WaterCooler|: Corsair H115i Pro,
                        |CPU|: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X,
                        |RAM|: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200MHz DDR4,
                        |SSD|: Kingston A2000 500GB M.2 NVMe,
                        |SSD|: Kingston 2.5´ 480GB UV400 SATA III,
                        |SSHD|: Seagate Híbrido 2TB 7200RPM SATA III,
                        |GPU|: MSI Gaming 980Ti,
                        |Monitor|: LG UltraWide 34UM68,
                        |Joystick 1|: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog,
                        |Joystick 2|: T.Flight Rudder Pedals,
                        |Head Motion|: TrackIr 5.

Comment

Originally posted by ThorBrasil View Post
                          Does DH.98 have a chance to come out this year?
                          I'm really hoping for christmas time, wanna fly drunk on new years eve doing some dumb stuff in the twin xD

Comment

Anyone know what kind of bomb loadouts the DH.98 Mosquito FB Mk VI could carry?

Comment

Bomb Bay:
                              250lb or 500lb x 2

Wing
                              250lb or 500lb x 2
                              50 or 100 Gal Drop Tank x 2
                              RP-3 Rocket x 4/x8
                              RP-3 Rocket x 4/x8 (DOUBLE STACK) + 50 or 100 Gal Drop Tank x 2

They also carried Depth Charges and Mines however I don't know how much of either....

Also there is a chance it could carry up to 12-16 RP-3 Rockets in a stacked layout however I can't confirm this at the moment.

Click image for larger version  Name:	mi8mgdffkjg21.jpg Views:	0 Size:	103.2 KB ID:	7152386

The above image you can clearly see the double stack, I imagine they dropped the fuel tanks. This begs the question of if a total of 16 RP-3 could be carried without drop tanks?

Click image for larger version  Name:	36237651390_2bfce001e8_o.jpg Views:	0 Size:	61.8 KB ID:	7152399

Click image for larger version

Name:	49159177818_37cf2832a0_b.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	187.3 KB
ID:	7152404
                              Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 16GB Ram | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | Oculus Rift CV1 | MFG crosswind Pedals

Project IX Cockpit

Comment

Originally posted by Krupi View Post
                                Bomb Bay:
                                250lb or 500lb x 2

Wing
                                250lb or 500lb x 2
                                50 or 100 Gal Drop Tank x 2
                                RP-3 Rocket x 4/x8
                                RP-3 Rocket x 4/x8 (DOUBLE STACK) + 50 or 100 Gal Drop Tank x 2

They also carried Depth Charges and Mines however I don't know how much of either....

Also there is a chance it could carry up to 12-16 RP-3 Rockets in a stacked layout however I can't confirm this at the moment.

Click image for larger version Name:	mi8mgdffkjg21.jpg Views:	0 Size:	103.2 KB ID:	7152386

The above image you can clearly see the double stack, I imagine they dropped the fuel tanks. This begs the question of if a total of 16 RP-3 could be carried without drop tanks?

Click image for larger version Name:	36237651390_2bfce001e8_o.jpg Views:	0 Size:	61.8 KB ID:	7152399
                                According to Sharp & Bowyer Book, mines were tested on the FB.VI, but were not adopted. Depth charges were operational only for a short time with little results against uboats, and then abandoned.

The RP-3 rockets come in 2 flavors: 25 lbs. with a solid armor piercing head that were used by coastal command against ships (those seen in the picture above posted by krupi), and 60 lbs with a bulbous explosive head that was used against ground targets (same type as were used by Typhoons).
                                - Geoffrey de Havilland.

Comment

Man, I didn't know the 20mm cannons took up space in the bomb bay. I kind of wish we were getting the bomber variant now.

Comment

Really if you want the bomber variant we would need a map from England to Berlin ​​​​​​

And a spare ~4 to 5 hours to drop off the 4000lb bomb and get home, using the GEE to get your bearing as it is 4 o'clock in the morning.

The FB.VI is the right choice, as long as it is late version with Merlin 25...
                                    Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 16GB Ram | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | Oculus Rift CV1 | MFG crosswind Pedals

Project IX Cockpit

Comment

Working...
                                    X