Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Discussion of the X-ray Damage Model Development - WWII

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I'm afraid people might not notice the new DM when it's finally there. Many things are already in the Open Beta. I really started to fly online combat in the warbirds about a year ago. Before that only 1 or 2 online combat flights per quarter. But since I fly more often, I noticed changes in the way I get shot. Most time I spent in is the K4, but also some time in the Anton. And during that year I noticed the following or think was added:

    Slackness in the controls when receiving damage (K4)*
    Reduced controlability when elevator/rudder/ailerons are damaged
    Slowly dying engine after hits in the engine compartment, not always a sudden stop
    One gear not deploying
    Shift in CoG when a part of the empennage is shot away (A8 )*
    Ability to close a leaking coolant circle (K4)
    Individual loss of a gun
    Vibration due to shot propeller
    Damaged generator->empty battery->loss of electrical fuelpump-> fuel pressure not enough to sustain combat power setting (K4)
    New vfx for bullet hits
    Reduced smoketrail(not on every aircraft)
    etc.

    Some things might have been in the K4 and A8 right at release. But some were definitely not.
    When the K4 was released centuries ago, the first damage you got was the prop governor, when shot directly from behind. I only flew very few online combat sorties in those years. Not very successful, so I avoided online combat. (VR actually got me into online combat flying)

    Fox
    Eagle Dynamics, ceterum censeo: dare nobis ME CCLXII!

    DCS: Dora - Zero visibility Instrument take off
    DCS: Kurfuerst - Zero visibility Instrument take off

    Comment


    • Yeah, there is indeed a creep of certain features of the new DM finding their way into the public version already. It's rather intransparent though what exactly is changing already
      Intel i7-4790K @ 4x4GHz + 16 GB DDR3 + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

      DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

      sigpic

      Comment


      • I believe what you're seeing as pre-new DM users is a global refinement in the symptoms of damage; a hit to a control surface is a hit to a control surface, whichever DM you are using. If the level of discrimination between parts is there (and there is a good deal even in the old DM) enabling these new effects within the old-DM environment makes sense in a lot of cases.

        What the new DM will bring is a greater resolution in micro damages and systems failures; I suspect the chance of a "death by a thousand cuts" will increase and we'll see less of the catastrophic structural failures that are something of a feature of the old DM.

        Comment


        • I'd love to see something close or even better than il2 DM, at least there i can differentiate between leaking fuel, oil or coolant something as simple as that will be welcome

          Comment


          • Originally posted by aldox View Post
            I'd love to see something close or even better than il2 DM, at least there i can differentiate between leaking fuel, oil or coolant something as simple as that will be welcome
            We believe it will be better.
            sigpic
            Nick Grey - "I have had the privilege of flying most marks of Spit, the I, V, IX, XIV, XIX and enjoyed working with Eagle to make this simulation of the IX the 'mutt's nuts'."
            Artist formerly known as SiThSpAwN
            Forum RulesForum Rules Guidelines
            ED Facebook PageED YouTube PageWags YouTubeMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine #0440
            **How to Report a Bug**

            Comment


            • Originally posted by iFoxRomeo View Post
              I'm afraid people might not notice the new DM when it's finally there. Many things are already in the Open Beta. I really started to fly online combat in the warbirds about a year ago. Before that only 1 or 2 online combat flights per quarter. But since I fly more often, I noticed changes in the way I get shot. Most time I spent in is the K4, but also some time in the Anton. And during that year I noticed the following or think was added:

              Slackness in the controls when receiving damage (K4)*
              Reduced controlability when elevator/rudder/ailerons are damaged
              Slowly dying engine after hits in the engine compartment, not always a sudden stop
              One gear not deploying
              Shift in CoG when a part of the empennage is shot away (A8 )*
              Ability to close a leaking coolant circle (K4)
              Individual loss of a gun
              Vibration due to shot propeller
              Damaged generator->empty battery->loss of electrical fuelpump-> fuel pressure not enough to sustain combat power setting (K4)
              New vfx for bullet hits
              Reduced smoketrail(not on every aircraft)
              etc.
              It's the increased frequency of your flying/testing that is at work here. 90% of the things in your list have been there since the old days. I flew the heck out of the P-51 after its release and the damage model experience today is not much different than it was back then. The hit sprites and vibrating engine firewall (after damage) are new though.

              I'm ready to test this new damage model though. It has been years and years in coming.
              P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

              Comment


              • Originally posted by gavagai View Post
                It's the increased frequency of your flying/testing that is at work here. 90% of the things in your list have been there since the old days. I flew the heck out of the P-51 after its release and the damage model experience today is not much different than it was back then. The hit sprites and vibrating engine firewall (after damage) are new though.

                I'm ready to test this new damage model though. It has been years and years in coming.
                90% ... negative. Some yes, but not 90% I wasn't talking about the P-51. Haven't flown this aircraft often.
                And I said, I flew more ONLINE combat. No word about offline vs AI. So how do you know the frequency of my general flying?

                Fox
                Last edited by iFoxRomeo; 09-29-2020, 05:51 AM.
                Eagle Dynamics, ceterum censeo: dare nobis ME CCLXII!

                DCS: Dora - Zero visibility Instrument take off
                DCS: Kurfuerst - Zero visibility Instrument take off

                Comment


                • Born "10-13-2017"

                  Time flies... Nearly time for a cake
                  ( - & it's old enough to be excited )
                  Cheers.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Weta43 View Post
                    Born "10-13-2017"

                    Time flies... Nearly time for a cake
                    ( - & it's old enough to be excited )
                    That might actually be a good idea, birthday for this thread, might even have a drinking game for it, since the beginning take one shot every time you find an "its now on internal testing"

                    Comment


                    • Sorry guys, my news item got bumped to next week, I will expect your guys to please curse my name in private and not on the forums, thanks.
                      sigpic
                      Nick Grey - "I have had the privilege of flying most marks of Spit, the I, V, IX, XIV, XIX and enjoyed working with Eagle to make this simulation of the IX the 'mutt's nuts'."
                      Artist formerly known as SiThSpAwN
                      Forum RulesForum Rules Guidelines
                      ED Facebook PageED YouTube PageWags YouTubeMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine #0440
                      **How to Report a Bug**

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by NineLine View Post
                        Sorry guys, my news item got bumped to next week, I will expect your guys to please curse my name in private and not on the forums, thanks.
                        Nothing but love to you and the ED team, we have to thank you guys for delivering such a great sim, its just that we need info or we get impatient, hope you have good news next week

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by NineLine View Post
                          Sorry guys, my news item got bumped to next week, I will expect your guys to please curse my name in private and not on the forums, thanks.
                          Nah, just give us the 109 G-6 and we will call it even.
                          i7 7700K @ 4,8 Ghz | Corsair Vengeance 2x16 gb @ 3200 Mhz | EVGA RTX 2080 XC ULTRA | Acer XB271HU 1440P 144HZ | Virpil T-50 CM throttle | Virpil WarBRD Base + MongoosT-50 CM2 Grip | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR 5
                          Bf 109 K-4 | Fw 190 A-8 | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | P-51D | Fw 190 D-9 | P-47D | F/A 18C | F-14 A/B | F-16 C | MiG-15bis | MiG-21bis | M-2000C | A-10C | AJS-37 Viggen
                          Caucasus | Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | The Channel | Syria

                          Comment


                          • No-one mentioning the thread rename?
                            Seems the new DM has been given an actual name now.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Buzzles View Post
                              No-one mentioning the thread rename?
                              Seems the new DM has been given an actual name now.
                              Getting on the MK or sniper elite vibe I hope they show something a video of stuff getting shot in a controlled way would be cool to see it work

                              Comment


                              • If we can get a damage report after landing (not just damage from enemy but also from your mishandling of the aicraft) that would be enough for me.
                                Huey. Intel X5660 4,2ghz, 24gb ddr3, gtx 1060 6gb
                                AJS37. Cyborg evo
                                Yak 52. Opentrack ir
                                KA-50
                                P-47

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X