Struggling mightily in dogfighting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Struggling mightily in dogfighting

Looking for advice and help. Been trying to just learn the spitfire well rather than hopping all over the place in DCS.

I am struggling mightily even against rookie AI in dogfighting. And I know the AI is bad so I must be really struggling. I have trouble finding appropriate lead for my shot and that big nose sure does get in the way. I also don’t know if I am inappropriately managing my power and speed when trying to maneuver. I will often be trailing the enemy and trying to line them up... just finally get them in my sights and pull the trigger and my plane will jolt violently completely changing my lineup and trajectory and I have to try all over again. Am I stalling? Is this expected behavior? I’m getting lost.

I modified the stock 2v2 to be 4 enemy vs 2. I can often get one or sometimes two of them before I run out of ammo so I’m not being efficient. My wingman always dies and does nothing.

any help or advice greatly appreciated. I am guessing I am just not operating the plane properly.

cheers, Jason
    Win 10 Pro, Intel i9 9900k overclocked to 5.1 (water cooled), 64 gb Corsair Dominator platinum RAM (3444 MHz)
    Titan RTX overclocked and water cooled
    1.1 TB SSD 2 TB M.2 SSD
    TM Warthog Stick and throttle
    MFG Crosswinds
    Reverb VR
    Buttkicker LFE, SimShaker, Jetseat.
    All DCS modules

Originally posted by jasonstory44 View Post
    Looking for advice and help. Been trying to just learn the spitfire well rather than hopping all over the place in DCS.

I am struggling mightily even against rookie AI in dogfighting. And I know the AI is bad so I must be really struggling. I have trouble finding appropriate lead for my shot and that big nose sure does get in the way. I also don’t know if I am inappropriately managing my power and speed when trying to maneuver. I will often be trailing the enemy and trying to line them up... just finally get them in my sights and pull the trigger and my plane will jolt violently completely changing my lineup and trajectory and I have to try all over again. Am I stalling? Is this expected behavior? I’m getting lost.

I modified the stock 2v2 to be 4 enemy vs 2. I can often get one or sometimes two of them before I run out of ammo so I’m not being efficient. My wingman always dies and does nothing.

any help or advice greatly appreciated. I am guessing I am just not operating the plane properly.

cheers, Jason
    the nose blocking shots is something most warbirds have to deal with, the shaking is normal so i believe countering it is just a matter of practice. as for learning how to shoot and hit targets an understanding of the sight is key as it is fixed and not a gyro, essentially it works based on angles and distance, chucks guide properly explains this https://www.mudspike.com/wp-content/...IX%20Guide.pdf https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-u...E2TDMzcXc/view

I generally like to get close up and deflection shoot targets which is fairly hard to do but devasting to aircraft when learned. I generally set the wing span to suit and the distance at between 200-300 yards, this generally means that when the hostile aircraft is on a 45 degree angle i use the ring to hit, then if its a matter of division, 20ish degrees attitude half way between the pipper and ring etc.

I have linked some good reads that may help to alleviate some of the issues, the biggest thing with the spitfire and dogfighting is knowing how to get close in to a target as most aircraft will be able to out run you, this is why i like to use high angle deflection shots on targets from very close in.

Comment

The shaking you are experiencing is recoil. It tends to want to drop the nose. Start aiming/firing a little higher to compensate. Make sure you are not jerking the trigger. Just like a real gun, pull, don't jerk the trigger.
      sigpic

Comment

Hi Jason. Could you save a .trk replay for us to review; it'll be easier to see what's going on and what you're doing rightly or wrongly and give you the correct advice.

As a related thing have you seen this?: https://forums.eagle.ru/forum/dcs-wo...pitch-solution

It may be a start in helping with some of your control issues.

Comment

No other way than to get behind and wait until you get a close sure shot and keep bursts small. Every bullet counts and its easy to run out of ammo!

Just track the enemy and try to mirror his movements and you will eventually get behind him. The time to strike is when he changes direction or straightens up. Keep rpm and power High, but bear in mind the limits and permitted time before your engine may pop!

Ideally keep altitude high, but just go with the flow. The more you do it the smoother you will be. I'm a wanna be fighter pilot lol, but all I have done is got my licence and bought a light aircraft. Have about 100hrs on the rains!

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I’ll try and post a track...I fly to n VR. Are there issues with the tracks recorded in VR?
            Win 10 Pro, Intel i9 9900k overclocked to 5.1 (water cooled), 64 gb Corsair Dominator platinum RAM (3444 MHz)
            1.1 TB SSD 2 TB M.2 SSD
            MFG Crosswinds
            Reverb VR
            All DCS modules

Comment

May be a long shot, but could it be a problem with your input curve? That you get too enthusiastic when firing and lose some control? I find the Spitfire's pitch being too sensitive for my desktop joystick and the only way to control it is by adding an extreme custom curve without dead zone. It is something like 2-4-6-8-10-12-14-16-18-33-84 (Chief Instructor's suggestion if I'm not mistaken).

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks guys...changing the curve made all the difference from what I was used to with jets. Are all warbirds like this? Don't recall it in the mustang
                1.1 TB SSD 2 TB M.2 SSD
                MFG Crosswinds
                Reverb VR
                All DCS modules

Comment

Originally posted by jasonstory44 View Post
                  Thanks guys...changing the curve made all the difference from what I was used to with jets. Are all warbirds like this? Don't recall it in the mustang
                  The only other WW2 plane I have is the bf109 and it's nothing close to the spit. I think I use a curvature of 35ish with 5 dead zone for pitch for that one.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Comment

you must make the opponent enter your game, before that keep your energy high until he makes the mistake, be patience. Know spits regime limitations, learn to recognize by ear the engine sound details (high RPM, mid RPM, boost, etc) so you don't take your eyes off the contact in a dogfight, don't worry about the difficult refraction shots for now, worry about getting as close as you can without burning the engine in the attempt

Comment

Working...
                    X