P-51 cooling system not workin properly

KenobiOrder

Last patch changed something in the cooling system. In extended turns and climbs are mil or WEP the plane overheats. No other plane appears to do this. Extended climbs means simply climbing at the climb speeds noted in reports, about 175-165mph. The airplane can no longer participate in turn fights since it kills the engine rather quickly after about 5 turns or so.

• Like 1

Last patch changed something in the cooling system. In extended turns and climbs are mil or WEP the plane overheats. No other plane appears to do this. Extended climbs means simply climbing at the climb speeds noted in reports, about 175-165mph. The airplane can no longer participate in turn fights since it kills the engine rather quickly after about 5 turns or so.

At high AoA the cooling will suffer.. If you push it too hard then you need to watch the temps.

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

At high AoA the cooling will suffer.. If you push it too hard then you need to watch the temps.

That doesn't mean it is correct. This is very obviously an error as if it were the case the Mustang would not have been able to engage in dogfights involving prolonged sustained turns. I have never seen so much as an iota of evidence that the cooling system on the mustang suffered this problem. And none of the other planes in this game have this issue. It also overheats in climbs at the rated climb speeds.

That doesn't mean it is correct. This is very obviously an error as if it were the case the Mustang would not have been able to engage in dogfights involving prolonged sustained turns. I have never seen so much as an iota of evidence that the cooling system on the mustang suffered this problem. And none of the other planes in this game have this issue. It also overheats in climbs at the rated climb speeds.
Dora has the same issue, btw.. Loses engine in climbing.

Sent from my Redmi 5 using Tapatalk

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

Dora has the same issue, btw.. Loses engine in climbing.

Sent from my Redmi 5 using Tapatalk

That shouldnt be happening either. Doing a prolonged WEP climb was something these planes were put through when the performance tests were done. Aircraft that had major cooling issues were known for it, such as the early Yaks. If any of these planes had cooling issues so severe that low speed turns and climbs are rated speeds could not be done, then it would have been noted in the manuals and combat reports and it isnt.

Climb charts in manuals are given for max continuous power settings, though (2700 / 46). Our Mustang used to climb OK at these, with 170 mph IAS. Is it not the case anymore after latest patch? Haven't tried it yet.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Climb charts in manuals are given for max continuous power settings, though (2700 / 46). Our Mustang used to climb OK at these, with 170 mph IAS. Is it not the case anymore after latest patch? Haven't tried it yet.

I am referring to time to climb tests or max climb rate tests where the speeds are listed. Usually around 160-170mph.

It also kills the engine just from doing a sustained turn. Completely ridiculous. It also did not used to happen.

just did another climb test to get more details. Max available power, like in a time to climb test.

didn't make it past 27,000ft. Engine quit. Coolant temps are out of spec just a few minutes into the climb around 5000ft. The only reason it didnt die soon was due to the supercharger stage shift. Once in high blower again the oil became rapidly out of spec. Around 20,000ft you could just barely hear strange engine noises. Engine died at 27,000ft.

If the engine can be replaced after the flight then there are no limits. These engines did not just die because the pilot did something dumb or because he forgot to reduce power and ran at WEP for 45 minutes (there are examples of that).

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

I did take off with automatic cooling, 20C ambient temp.

Engine coolant 100C and Oil 60C before take off.

Opened throttle to gate 61" as P-51 manual. Coolant over red line.

Continue to climb at military power at 200 IAS, Coolant and oil exceed limits.

I can understand that at low speeds cooling may be a problem but 200 IAS is twice the speed of take off it should be fast enough.

Just imagine Fighting in this at high alt where you wont see IAS higher then 250. You will cook the engine.

I am not suspicious any more, i am certain that cooling isn't modeled as RL

Edited by grafspee
  • Like 1

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

unknown.png

unknown.png

A hot day is 39C or 103F. Even at these conditions the engine remained in spec until 38,000ft. Coolant was slightly out of range but appeared to be keeping the oil in range anyhow. We should not be seeing anything close to this in turns or climbs at a mere 20C. Or at military power.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
ran at WEP for 45 minutes (there are examples of that).

Genuinely curious, do you have an sources on some document/recollection/story for that?

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, KenobiOrder said:

Any update on this? This is still a huge problem. If you do any sustained climbing or turning in the P-51 right now it overheats.

it over heats because it is not capable of cooling it self, not holding right temps is much smaller problem.

try dog fight at +25k ft there you just cooking engine.

lots of ppl calming that auto cooling is not capable of opening coolant doors fully, this is not true. Auto cooling will open doors fully if temps are high, looks like auto cooling is holding too high temps.

Problem is that p-51 at high alt is incapable of flying at full power in dog fight. Very low IAS at high alt makes p-51 incapable of do any turns at very high alt.

If any one tried it out at max power p-51 can only fly straight at full power at high alt, once you get in to turn temps go sky high.

This fact makes me suspicious. 

Edited by grafspee
  • Like 1

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

I've got the same problem with the P51 cooling.

Trying to fly the blue nose bastards of Botney 2nd mission where you are loaded down with fuel and drop tanks to do fighter sweep over Cherbourg penn.

I have rads wide open trying to climb with 45 MP and 27K RPM. I've tried level fight to gain speed first but starts to overheat if i try climbing at as little as 1000K/Min.

the AI P51's are just climbing away no problem.

I'm thinking there must be a bug. Can I just Delete the P51 module and them reinstall It?